The end of "Gorilla Ball"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of "Gorilla Ball"?

It looks like the change in bats may shape the kind of athletes recruited. Less big muscle, more athleticism..maybe more speed on the basepath.

I wonder how much "small ball" comes back versus the power hitting clubs. A HR with a guy on base is still a major game changer (maybe more so).

I have noticed that there seems to be more pitch backs to first base to keep the runner off balance. I would expect to see more bunting over of a guy on first with no outs.

I watched UC Irvine vs Virginia....UCI was noted for small ball play and Virginia, not especially so. Virginia spent a lot of energy checking the runner at 1st and the games were pretty close.

It will be interesting to see how next season turns out...

Go away.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

it seemed like a good topic. but maybe not.

Comment

Well we haven't had much luck recruiting HR hitters like the ones we had in the late 90's, so maybe this is a good thing.

Comment

I thought the new bats would play to our strengths - pitching, speed, and defense.

We had the pitching and the speed this year; however, I think our D killed us - that and injuries to our starting 3b, LF, and #1 starter. Oh, and losing our projected 3 hole hitter in August to the Dodgers, the NCAA making Minnis miss 1/2 of the season, and the tragic loss of Mitch Caster.

If we don't get the above perfect storm of uncontrollable adversity, our season looks a lot different. I'm kind of wondering how we finished as well as we did, given the above.

Comment

Working...
          X