Shockers Host Omaha in 3-Game Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers Host Omaha in 3-Game Series

The Shocks and Omaha hope to get in a 3-game series this weekend and due to the weather the schedule has been changed.

Game 1 of the series is now scheduled for Satruday at 2;00 with a doubleheader schedule for Sundary starting at noon.

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State's baseball home opener against Omaha scheduled for Fri., Feb. 23 has been pushed back due to inclement weather.   The two teams will now start the three-game series on Sat., Feb. 24 at 2 p.m. and wrap up the series with a doubleheader on Sun., Feb. 25 starting at 12 p.m.

I would anticipate the same starting pitching rotation as last weekend with Heuer, Eddy and Lungwitz although that game 3 starter might change.

Omaha took 2 out 3 from Northwestern last week in Arizona winning the first two games by scores of 14-8 and 10-5 and losing the finale 1-3.

Omaha was 12-39 last year with a Boyd's World ISR of 281 and an RPI of 280. Northwestern was 12-40 last year.

Baseball game would have been a welcome distraction this afternoon...

Comment

Looking forward to the games. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Need our pitching to take a step forward. McNeese State is not flattering us, getting pasted 5-1 at La Tech then blitzed tonight at Texas State 12-1. Taking what shine there was on our opening weekend sweep for sure.

Comment

Omaha is winning 3-1 in the 5th? Omaha? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Comment

No offense outside of Jenista and Bohm. Troutwine has hit well at the bottom of the order, but the guys ahead of him and behind him are under the Mendoza line. 2 hits and 7 walks have resulted in 1 run. That's, uh, not ideal.

Comment

But then right on cue, Young lifts his average to .250 by hitting a triple to score a run Jackson, who was on 1st after a fielder's choice (Dugas out at 2nd was on via a walk). 2 runs on 3 hits.

Groundout by Troutwine scores a run, and its 3-3 after 6. Shocks now with 3 runs on 3 hits.

Comment

Shox with bases loaded and no outs. Need to put this game in the deep freeze with a big inning.

Comment

O'Brien with Sac Fly. 4-3 Shox B7

Comment

• SB Shock
                  SB Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shox base running mistake and Duggas pops out to the catcher to waste an opportunity

In the 7th, a leadoff single by Ritter, followed by a walk to Jenista (8th walk for the Shocks) and a throwing error on a pick off attempt leads to Bohm up with 0 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Intentional pass to Bohm (9th walk of the game) loads the bases with 0 outs and brings O'Brien to the plate.

Sac fly by O'Brien and the Shocks lead 4-3 with 4 hits.

Bohm picked off trying to steal 2nd, and from bases loaded with no outs to one on third with 2 outs and 1 scored.

Dugas pops up to the catcher and Shocks blow a chance to blow the game open but do get the lead heading to the 8th.

Comment

Shox hold Omaha in the 8th. 4-3 B8, Shox coming up

Comment

WSU wins 4-3. Barnhouse comes in and gets the final four outs to earn the save.

Comment

I see they brought out the big lumber against the Omaha pitching.

Lots of mistakes I see too.

Sorry, not buying the 4-0 start yet.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The pitching deserves a bit of a pat on the bat today especially the 3 guys who finished off the game behind Codi. Yeah, I understand that it was Omaha but these guys did score 25 runs in 3 games last weekend against Northwestern and yeah I know Northwestern is not very good either. So yeah, the jury is still out and a win is always better than a loss.

Shocks also played errorless ball. Whether or not we played good defense I couldn't say but at least we handled the balls we could get to (and see).

I just don't believe baseball was intended to be played in 40 degree weather and kudos to the players and any Shocker fans that were at the ballpark today supporting the Shocks. You have my admiration.

Comment

A win is a win. Hopefully we can grab a couple more tomorrow - how is the weather looking for the doubleheader?

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            A win is a win. Hopefully we can grab a couple more tomorrow - how is the weather looking for the doubleheader?
                            Weather actually looking pretty good tomorrow. Sunny, temps around 50 and modest wind conditions.

Comment

Working...
                            X