Big Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Announcement

Coming in next few weeks regarding Gene Stephenson. Sounds like the cold war finally may be over.

Originally posted by washedup View Post
    Coming in next few weeks regarding Gene Stephenson. Sounds like the cold war finally may be over.
    Let's hope so.

Comment

Hopefully they will remove the Eck name from the Stadium and put up Stephenson.
      An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Well I'd say it was a pretty big clue tonight when Stephenson was called out and recognized on the video board as a "Shocker forever".
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I noticed a picture from the Wichita Baseball HOF induction over the weekend that included both Gene and Brent. I hope for both men’s sake that they have patched up their feud.
          78-65

Comment

Not sure they were sitting at the same table but Gene did call out Brent for falling asleep, everyone got a laugh out of it. Coach Lamb set up the night by welcoming Gene back into the family and Gene gave a very emotional speech about his love of WSU and Wichita before introducing Brian Burgamy. Very emotional night and I suggest everyone go at least once. Long night but some interesting speeches.

Comment

Here's the big announcement...

Gene will be the lone inductee in next year's Shocker HOF class.
              Former Wichita State Baseball head coach Gene Stephenson has earned a permanent and illuminated spot in all of college baseball history. Stephenson built Shocker Baseball into a nationally dominant program with numerous national NCAA Division I records over his 36 years as head coach, highlighted by the 1989 National Championship.
              78-65

Comment

Liked this line at the end of the article:
                Gene Stephenson's coaching legacy stands alone. From the multitudes of NCAA records to the sole national championship coach in Wichita State Athletics history, he will be honored accordingly over the coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  Liked this line at the end of the article:
                  Gene Stephenson's coaching legacy stands alone. From the multitudes of NCAA records to the sole national championship coach in Wichita State Athletics history, he will be honored accordingly over the coming year.
                  Hopefully, the accordingly's will be significant. Either renaming Eck Stadium or renaming the combined stadium/practice facility the Gene Stephenson Baseball Complex. Perhaps fund raising for a bronze of Gene to be placed in the center of Hap Bledsoe Plaza ring of honor or put him where the current Casey At Bat bronze is and relocate Casey appropriately.

Finally, and this may be the most difficult thing to do on my list, let's get good again.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 8, 2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah, one other thing. They haven't retired Gene's jersey yet have they?

Time heals all.

Winning cures most.

Mr. Hooper. Paging Mr. Hooper to the Yellow Phone. Mr. Hooper to the Yellow Phone, please.

Comment

I was hoping he was being named associate head coach so he could continue racking up wins

although with him and butler at the helm we might not actually win any games... it’s complicated

Comment

Very happy for Gene. The first step of many in giving him the accolades he deserves!
                      Former Wichita State Baseball head coach Gene Stephenson has earned a permanent and illuminated spot in all of college baseball history. Stephenson built Shocker Baseball into a nationally dominant program with numerous national NCAA Division I records over his 36 years as head coach, highlighted by the 1989 National Championship.

Last edited by Veritas; February 8, 2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

When’s Todd Butler and Eric Sexton going in?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockerFever
                          ShockerFever commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did my comment offend you or something?

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't think it offend him at all. How 'bout "I predict they will be inducted at the same time as ShockTalk, 1972Shocker, and ShockerFever" We all good?

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You asked when. If it makes you feel any better that will be the same time as yours truly as well. In other workds I don't think they are going to make it.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 9, 2018, 03:05 PM.

I am very happy about the recognition for 10. His legacy defines Shocker Baseball in every way and he deserves every accolade he will receive.

I truly hope they do this right and make it a no-holds-barred celebration.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Maybe part of this push is to finally finish off the funding for the last phase to Eck.

Comment

• pogo
                            pogo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            .Could be a large number of reasons of which we will never know. I would hope it was for all the right reasons and not to enhance a money grab fundraising for Eck stadium..Not that it may not help but I hope not the only reason.
                        Working...
                        X