Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC 2018 Outlook

from College baseball daily

Last year was a very good season for the AAC as three teams made it into the NCAA Tournament with Houston winning the AAC Tournament and hosting a regional. This…

Wichita State (2017 Record: 28-30, 10-11)

Wichita State played a very difficult out-of-conference schedule in 2017 and didn’t do very well going 0-6 against LSU and Texas Tech. They finished with a losing record in the Missouri Valley Conference and then went 1-2 in the MVC Tournament. Now they move to the AAC were the competition will be even tougher.

Lineup:

First baseman Greyson Jenista begins the season as one of the top college bats in the country after being named the Cape Cop League MVP hitting .310 with 24 runs scored and 3 home runs. In 2017 for the Shockers he led them with a .320 average and 45 runs scored to go along with 14 doubles, 9 home runs and 41 RBI. Third baseman Alec Bohm also had a great summer in the Cape Cod League hitting .351 with 10 doubles, 5 home runs and 28 RBI. This past spring he was second on the team with a .305 average and led the team with 11 home runs to go along with 44 runs scored and 40 RBI. Shortstop Trey Vickers is back after hitting .296 last year with 36 runs scored, 4 home runs and 32 RBI. Second baseman Jordan Boyer led the team with 42 RBI in 2017. Despite moving to the AAC, this Wichita State lineup should be one of the best in the conference.

Pitching:

Adam Keller is the only pitcher coming back from last year’s team that had an ERA under four. He posted a 3.86 ERA in 32.2 innings pitched with 30 strikeouts. Connor Lungwitz had an ERA of 4.00 in 27 innings pitched with 28 strikeouts. Tommy Barnhouse and Cody Tyler made eight and 11 starts respectively last year, but they both had an ERA over six.

2018 Outlook:

This team should be very explosive on offense in 2018, but several guys will need to step up in the pitching staff for this team to compete.
    Predicted Order to Finish:
    1. South Florida
    2. Houston
    3. UCONN
    4. UCF
    5. East Carolina
    6. Wichita State
    7. Cincinnati
    8. Memphis
    9. Tulane

BA had 5 things that wouldn't surprise us

… Greyson Jenista and Alec Bohm lead Wichita State to the tourney.

Wichita State hasn’t been to the tournament since 2009 and haven’t had a winning record since 2014. And yes, they were projected to finish sixth in a pretty tricky American Athletic Conference.

It’s true that two offensive stars does not a championship make. But Jenista and Bohm are special players who have the ability to make something special happen in Kansas this year. They both enter 2018 as preseason All-Americans, watching their MLB Draft stock rise on a daily basis.

Comment

It's amazing that you're more optimistic about WSU baseball than WSU basketball.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        It's amazing that you're more optimistic about WSU baseball than WSU basketball.
        I have no opinion of baseball - this is just other people opinions who cover the sport. It is what is until they prove something different. But it would be fun if the program could turn the corner so there would be something for shocker fans to root for after basketball season is over.

As far as my optimism for basketball - I am not even thinking about giving up my basketball season tickets unlike I guess u are. Were u really serious?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I have no opinion of baseball - this is just other people opinions who cover the sport. It is what is until they prove something different. But it would be fun if the program could turn the corner so there would be something for shocker fans to root for after basketball season is over.

As far as my optimism for basketball - I am not even thinking about giving up my basketball season tickets unlike I guess u are. Were u really serious?
          Nice damage control.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Talking WSU Baseball 2018 w/Paul Sullentrop

https://collegebaseballcentral.com/c...lentrop/16202/

Comment

Working...
            X