Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the Texas Longhorns football team always ranked when the season starts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the Texas Longhorns football team always ranked when the season starts?

I just watched Maryland put it to Texas. And I started to think (sometimes this is very unfortunate). Starting with the 2010 season Texas has a record of 46 - 42. But it always seems as though they are ranked as one of the top 20 teams in the nation.

Yet Kansas state has been 60 - 31 during that same time span. And, if my memory is correct, they have only been ranked once in the preseason during that same time period.

So, what do I take from this? It is simple, it is all about the coach. The pundits look at what players have been recruited by Texas and say "Man, those guys are good, any coach will have success." Then of course they fall flat and at times look just terrible.

Yet, Bill Snyder takes the left overs and molds a fantastic team and does this over and over again. Hmmm, Shocker Nation, does this sound familiar?

Originally posted by Fairgame View Post
    I just watched Maryland put it to Texas. And I started to think (sometimes this is very unfortunate). Starting with the 2010 season Texas has a record of 46 - 42. But it always seems as though they are ranked as one of the top 20 teams in the nation.

Yet Kansas state has been 60 - 31 during that same time span. And, if my memory is correct, they have only been ranked once in the preseason during that same time period.

So, what do I take from this? It is simple, it is all about the coach. The pundits look at what players have been recruited by Texas and say "Man, those guys are good, any coach will have success." Then of course they fall flat and at times look just terrible.

Yet, Bill Snyder takes the left overs and molds a fantastic team and does this over and over again. Hmmm, Shocker Nation, does this sound familiar?
    We don't pay attention to Texas or Kansas State or Kansas (using the next term very loosely) football
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I like to keep tabs on K-State football. I admire Coach Snyder very much.

Are these guys brothers from another mother?

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        We don't pay attention to Texas or Kansas State or Kansas (using the next term very loosely) football
        Who is this "we" you speak of?

Comment

At least Texas lost to a D-1 team. Baylor lost to FCS Liberty at home 45-48.

While K-State ended up stomping Central Arkansas 55-19 I don't think Coach Snyder was very happy with his defense giving 421 yard of total offense to UCA.

Comment

To answer the original question...Yes Texas gets ranked purely on perception and potential lately. Much like some other basketball schools get ranked because they have always been good in the past and are expected to be good at present. But they don't necessarily live up to their ranking.

Comment

This
              For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
              - said no one ever...

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                To answer the original question...Yes Texas gets ranked purely on perception and potential lately. Much like some other basketball schools get ranked because they have always been good in the past and are expected to be good at present. But they don't necessarily live up to their ranking.
                A shining example where having the perceived top athletes does NOT always equal the best at handling pressure and wins!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                  This
                  @shoxilla: what year do you think that's from, or is it photoshopped?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    This is just my opinion (and I do realize I'm biased) but UT has SO much in resources....they get the pick of the kids and I think they've lost the edge they used to have, and frankly, they might be a little too picky when it comes to recruiting. I think Coach Strong had a really hard time overcoming feelings of entitlement amongst players that had literally everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X