ESPN LAYOFFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN LAYOFFS

Hate to see Eammon Brennan go, usually very positive towards the Shockers.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Interesting times are coming.

Comment

ESPN looks like it's going even further in the wrong direction.

Comment

Dana O'Neil as well. She was always good voice for the Shox too.

Other heavy hitters (in other sports) I have seen are Jason Stark, Ed Werner, Brett McMurphy, Trent Dilfer, Kanell
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
          Dana O'Neil as well. She was always good voice for the Shox too.

Other heavy hitters (in other sports) I have seen are Jason Stark, Ed Werner, Brett McMurphy, Trent Dilfer, Kanell
          It's a sad fact of life, but ESPN (as do many companies do) made some miscalculations when bidding on contracts for sports (most notably college football and basketball) ESPN subsequently ended up with an unsustainable cost structure (broadcasting rights expenses and advertising revenue did not match up).

Sad, but companies (including the one I work for) get into these situations and, since labor is the easiest cost to fix, get rid of the help to bail themselves out of their strategic mistakes (or, as in the case of my company, simply to remain competitive).

This is why I was surprised when reading comments on WSU joining the AAC, because I understood the move was made to try to obtain a better deal TV deal for AAC basketball which, in this case, a better deal will not be an increase in revenue, but rather an attempt to preserve as much revenue as possible.

All conferences will be in a pickle when this renegotiation is finished. The cash flow will drop. In our case, the fact we moved to a much better neighborhood will either partially or fully offset the drop in the monies from the TV contract.

And if you think it's bad in the AAC, from what I am to understand Fox severely overpaid for BE broadcasting rights. That contract will be renegotiated at some point and I'm expecting they will suffer a much larger hit.

Comment

Len Elmore was let go today as well. Enjoyed him calling games, and obviously has ties to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
              And if you think it's bad in the AAC, from what I am to understand Fox severely overpaid for BE broadcasting rights. That contract will be renegotiated at some point and I'm expecting they will suffer a much larger hit.
              I think everyone with a pulse knew how bad a deal that was for Fox when it was announced. It never made sense, even if the plan all along was to lose money on the deal in order to establish the network as a major competitor to ESPN.

Comment

Strong commentary from SVP tonight regarding the layoffs.

Comment

Sometimes real life sucks.

Comment

Andy Katz???? That's not a good sign for college basketball.
                    78-65

Comment

Lots of layoffs. I wonder what the new ideas for covering sports will look like.

Comment

Jeff MF ******* has a job and Andy Katz doesn't.

What in the F*** Bristol?
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

This world is rough; and if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                            Lots of layoffs. I wonder what the new ideas for covering sports will look like.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                              Jeff MF ******* has a job and Andy Katz doesn't.

What in the F*** Bristol?

Who do you suppose was the higher paid employee?

Comment

Working...
                              X