former WSU sb coach gets into postgame scuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• former WSU sb coach gets into postgame scuffle

For those that are interested, former WSU and current Florida softball coach Tim Walton got into a brief post game scuffle with an Auburn player after their game tonight. There is a video of it, but quick recap goes like this:

Auburn player doesn't put hand up in handshake line. Walton gives high five into players shoulder as he walks by. Auburn player turns around and gives Walton light shove in the back. Walton turns around and the 2 exchange brief pleasantries.

There is a back story here. Apparently Walton kicked 2 of players sisters off the team a few years ago, so there is history there. Don't know how to Link the video but if anybody can and wants to that'd be great.

Will be interesting to see what aftermath, if any, comes from this.

Here's a linkto ESPN & the video:

A heated exchange followed a Florida-Auburn softball game Monday night and featured the Gators' coach and the sister of two ex-players who left Florida after controversial suspensions.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Walton was out of order; this entire episode is on him. Florida AD should speak with him about his behavior,

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
        Walton was out of order; this entire episode is on him. Florida AD should speak with him about his behavior,
        We can agree to disagree. First, I/we don't know what happened with her sisters. My understanding was that they were both suspended and then they left the team.

Second, she was the one who instigated a potential problem by putting her hand down to the coaching staff. Hand up, no problem or something will be all on him.

Next, it is possible that Walton's tap on her shoulder (in a "good game" manner) was because her hand was down, that is unless you know what was in his mind. When I first saw it (before coming here and seeing a thread on it) I did not think he pushed her.

Lastly, she could have made it look more about him than her by not pushing him from the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Oh my God, seriously? Out of order? What has the world come to?

IT'S PETTY, on BOTH PARTS! Why does Fagan get a pass for not shaking hands/high fiving? The word is SNOWFLAKE.

Comment

What a little @#*ch. have some class and do the high hand bump sister. Send her a video of Gregg and Dan's post game ritual...short and sweet. When you go through a post game bump line your brain anticipates physical contact about shoulder high. Little miss priss chose to lower her arm and Walton made a small last second adjustment to tap her on the shoulder about as hard as a bump. Please little girl, go to the corner of the dugout. Also, if I'm the Auburn coach and I thought an opposing coach acted inappropriately in a physical way towards one of my players, I would have lost my shite on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              We can agree to disagree. First, I/we don't know what happened with her sisters. My understanding was that they were both suspended and then they left the team.

Second, she was the one who instigated a potential problem by putting her hand down to the coaching staff. Hand up, no problem or something will be all on him.

Next, it is possible that Walton's tap on her shoulder (in a "good game" manner) was because her hand was down, that is unless you know what was in his mind. When I first saw it (before coming here and seeing a thread on it) I did not think he pushed her.

Lastly, she could have made it look more about him than her by not pushing him from the back.
              These teams had played 2 games this season previous to this incident last night. Did Fagan have her hand up in the handshake line those 2 games? Maybe she had her hand down all 3 games and Walton had enough and decided to give her a little tap to know it wasn't appreciated. I don't know.

What I do know is that as WuDrWu said, it's petty on both parts. I actually put more of the blame on Fagan. If you don't want to shake hands, that's one thing, that is your right. I don't agree with it, but that's your right. But to turn around and push someone in the back because they gave you a light push/tap on the shoulder, is inexcusable. She could have been the bigger person and just kept on walking, and as ShockTalk said, it would have looked worse for Walton in that case.

On top of that, she compounded that by trying to go after some of the Florida players who were no doubt defending their coach. When you have to be restrained by a whole host of your teammates, you might want to think about your attitude, whether Walton started it or not. It takes a bigger person to walk away, and neither of them did that, so they should both be held accountable.

My guess is nothing will come of it, and if anything does, it'll be some kind of lecture/warning for both parties involved. At least from the SEC. Now, what the Florida administration and the Auburn coaching staff decide to do or not do is a completely different story.

Comment

Yes this is a petty event; however, one of the participants holds a leadership role for a major institution of higher learning while the other is a teenager (young adult at best). The precipitating event was initiated by the adult not the teenager. If I were the AD at Auburn I would have such a conversation with my softball coach.

Comment

For those who asked for some background. Starters Dismissed.

Comment

A tempest in a teapot.

Here is Coach Walton's apology.

Comment

From the video it looks like both of them knew exactly what they were doing the whole time and they can share the blame. The waterworks after the incident were a little weak though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        A tempest in a teapot.

High Road.

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                        From the video it looks like both of them knew exactly what they were doing the whole time and they can share the blame. The waterworks after the incident were a little weak though.
                        I found a longer version that showed Fagan before she got to the coaches. I told my wife nothing about what I was going to have her watch. First time I ran it, she goes "Oh, my! She pushed him from behind!". I had her watch closer as they past and she asked if his hand bumped her head (which it did not). I then explained that the player was not doing the high five to the opposing coaches and why. She then thought the player was being petty.

I then showed her 2 or 3 different headlines, all like "Florida Coach Shoves Auburn Player". She thought that was totally not fair to the coach. I then explained the coach's connection to WSU.

I also found a longer version that showed more of the aftermath. At the end of it, Fagan is demonstrating Walton's "shove" to one of her coaches. It was lower, more on the chest and shoulder, and she did it hard enough that the coach's upper body went back.

I find it hard to believe that Walton would have suspended her sister who was the team's leading average hitter, her older sister, and another player who was their best defensive player and power hitter during an NCAA Regional without good cause.
                        Last edited by ShockTalk; March 28, 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I watched it right after it was posted on twitter. The player is 100% at fault for this.

Her family has history with the coach dismissing the other sisters for what was rumored to be "racist" comments at Florida. All parties have stayed quiet in regards to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            A tempest in a teapot.

I find Walton's description of the event completely disingenuous: "Apparently her hand wasn't up as I said 'good game' and I touched her shoulder. I should have paid closer attention . . ." He clearly gave her shoulder a little push to send a message, or as a reaction to her gesture of disrespect. He was paying very close attention. As the coach, the high road would have been keeping his hand right where it was (not even close to her shoulder) and moving on to the next player. He's the mature adult and missed his chance to show it.

That said, she could have also let it go and not pushed back, considering she made the initial disrespecting gesture. Both are representatives of their universities and neither one should get a pass.

Comment

The "tussle" was much ado about nothing. Sure, it was a little uncouth on both parties, but nothing ridiculous. Now the drama created by the player apparently shortly afterward (after she had a few moments to decide that she was in fact offended)? That was ridiculous.

This is a good lesson to all you single guys as to why you shouldn't marry into crazy. Do your due diligence.

Comment

Working...
                              X