Scary Moment For Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Moment For Michigan

Their plane carrying the men's basketball team, cheerleaders, and pep band had to abort their takeoff in high winds today, and could not stop prior to the end of the runway.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Pilot error. The only time you "re deck" a plane like this is if you lose an engine or to avoid another aircraft. A witness on board says they had just left the runway when they came back down and started braking. They have the same scenarios in simulator training and I have been told that pilots screw this up more than one would think.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      Pilot error. The only time you "re deck" a plane like this is if you lose an engine or to avoid another aircraft. A witness on board says they had just left the runway when they came back down and started braking. They have the same scenarios in simulator training and I have been told that pilots screw this up more than one would think.
      Thanks for assuaging my flying fears.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
        I kind of wondered about that. Since they skidded off, does that mean the pilot aborted after going past the commit point?
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
          I kind of wondered about that. Since they skidded off, does that mean the pilot aborted after going past the commit point?
          Pretty much. Or it took him longer to get it back on the ground than he thought it would.

If the wheels are up the best thing to do is keep going unless the engine quits or the tail falls off.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

We (Orville Wilber and me) used to have to figure the refusal speed manually. Now they have computers figure it out.

Comment

Working...
            X