WSU poached Anton Grady from CSU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU poached Anton Grady from CSU!

Just ask Northwestern Men's Basketball Coach Chris Collins. Collins better hope he doesn't run into Gregg Marshall on the recruiting trail.

"So you know what’s happening now at all mid-major programs? They don’t let their kids go to summer school. They don’t let them get ahead. They won’t let ‘em graduate. Is that what upper level education is all about?"
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

He's got a point, but when he says "players get poached and coaches may lose their jobs" but uses Anton Grady coming to WSU as an example, I would argue that Anton Grady had been let down by his team and coach already by the time he started looking for suitors. Maybe the guy who recruited Anton in the first place and led a program that ultimately let him down SHOULD lose his job. We won the recruiting battle to get him in the end, but it was not WSU "convincing" Grady to leave in the first place. His team and coach did that. Poaching happens the other way around, in my opinion. Anton Grady is a bad example of the point this guy is trying to make.

On the other hand, it's kinda nice to be viewed on the level of the poacher now :) That means you are elite.

Comment

Honestly, the rule is not being used as intended. It needs to be eliminated.

Players are supposed to be going to schools for a graduate program that is not available at their current institution. Not to get on a better basketball team.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

First, Grady was not our starting center. Maybe for a week. Get your facts straight, Collins.

Secondly, it's those kind of unsubstantiated claims that keep your program in the B1G cellar and out of the NCAA tournament since... well... ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
          He's got a point, but when he says "players get poached and coaches may lose their jobs" but uses Anton Grady coming to WSU as an example, I would argue that Anton Grady had been let down by his team and coach already by the time he started looking for suitors. Maybe the guy who recruited Anton in the first place and led a program that ultimately let him down SHOULD lose his job. We won the recruiting battle to get him in the end, but it was not WSU "convincing" Grady to leave in the first place. His team and coach did that. Poaching happens the other way around, in my opinion. Anton Grady is a bad example of the point this guy is trying to make.

On the other hand, it's kinda nice to be viewed on the level of the poacher now :) That means you are elite.
          I think the reason WSU got brought up is because Grady was one of three grad transfers from CSU. They lost a ton.
          Livin the dream

Comment

I agree that they need to eliminate the grad transfer year. No reason those kids shouldn't have to sit out a year as well.

Comment

I also think Grady choose to leave after his long term teammates moved on.

Comment

With 700+ transfers per year in this day and age, if you have a strong, highly visible program, it may be more an issue of sorting out the opportunities as it is poaching.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  With 700+ transfers per year in this day and age, if you have a strong, highly visible program, it may be more an issue of sorting out the opportunities as it is poaching.
                  Yeah, I think that's where the game is at this point. I hope they fix it, but I doubt they do. Too many Jay Bilas' running around whining about players being "trapped."

Comment

I suppose if the NCAA starts allowing players to be compensated, there is a better case for contractually obligating them to their institution. Right now it's pretty hard to make a case that players aren't free to go somewhere else if they want to. But if they tear down those walls and start buying players, can't they also run it similarly to pro sports?

As annoying as the notion of paying players is, I can see how it might help correct the transfer problem. That is, assuming all D-1 schools play by the same rules and the rules create some kind of significant deterrence to transferring before your "contract" is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                      I suppose if the NCAA starts allowing players to be compensated, there is a better case for contractually obligating them to their institution. Right now it's pretty hard to make a case that players aren't free to go somewhere else if they want to. But if they tear down those walls and start buying players, can't they also run it similarly to pro sports?

As annoying as the notion of paying players is, I can see how it might help correct the transfer problem. That is, assuming all D-1 schools play by the same rules and the rules create some kind of significant deterrence to transferring before your "contract" is up.
                      I like this idea if compensation ever comes to fruition. I think it could be a relatively easy system to put in place too. Schools would all be allowed to compensate the same amount. That way it doesn't become a bidding war. If a kid decides to transfer, that's fine, he can do that, BUT either he or the school he is transferring to have to reimburse the school he is leaving for the at least some percentage of what the kid was paid by the original school. Could be treated something like a buyout. I'm not a fan of "paying" the players necessarily, although I do think they should get some kind of stipend that allows them to live while they are unable to get jobs.
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Does anyone think that athletes haven't been compensated? It's been going on for years. I don't know when it began but it started out by being books, tuition, room/board and also included a stipend for some spending money. Athletes also could have jobs but this caused a wide spread problem, when businesses would pay players for hours not worked (I mean large sums of employment money for not working). Reforms were made to curb many of the abuses that were caused by this system.

The summer jobs allowed stars to be paid large sums of money.

It appears that we are going down the same road again. At this time, compensation is equally given to ALL PLAYERS receiving the same scholarship (room/board/tuition/books), and now a stipend has been added monthly for spending money (I don't know if everyone has to pay the same amount of monthly compensation or not). The new argument is if the "STAR" player can be paid for their name (signing autographs, doing commercials, etc.). It seems to me that abuses could become rampant again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Yeah, I think that's where the game is at this point. I hope they fix it, but I doubt they do. Too many Jay Bilas' running around whining about players being "trapped."
                          The graduate transfer rule is the college sports equivalent of free agency. If that's what the NCAA wants, they should keep it; if not, it needs to be eliminated or at least significantly modified (e.g., eliminate immediate eligibility and add a year to sit out; restore the original meaning about academic programs, etc.).

Comment

If a kid red shirts and can graduate in four years, let him be a free agent. I like that a whole lot more than Kentucky recruiting players that have no intention of graduating.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I really doubt that we "poached" AG. Once he decided to leave we were the obvious choice.

A few years ago - it was rumored that KU reached out to Kyle Weems thru his high school coach. Obviously, Kyle stayed with MSU. In some ways I admire the loyalty but in hindsight - it was not a good decision.

We've got a great program. Because of that we have been able to keep our studs in the stable. I would be very surprised if Ron Baker didn't have overtures thrown his way.

I can see Collins point but there are some good kids that are in not so good programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X