SIU (and ISU) could lose significant funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU (and ISU) could lose significant funding

The Illinois governor's proposed budget would cut $20 million from the SIU system.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    The Illinois governor's proposed budget would cut $20 million from the SIU system.
    Not surprising. The underfunded state pensions in
    Illinois are fueling the problem. IMO, this reflects a lack of financial management on past legislatures and governors. Same sort of problem as Louisiana, but instead of cutting revenue too much, these folks just spent money they did not have. I would tend to blame the dens more than the republicans for this, but is could have been fixed by the republicans when they held the governorship. I'm not sure if the R's ever controlled the hous, but pretty sure they controlled the senate, given that most of the state (outside Chicago) is pretty much Republican country.

Comment

I hope this doesn't kill or cripple the Southern Illinois basketball program. Not good for the MVC if this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
        I hope this doesn't kill or cripple the Southern Illinois basketball program. Not good for the MVC if this happens.
        Here are the pertinent numbers for SIU and ISU from 2014:

SIU
        Expenses: $25 mil
        Total Revenue: $21.8 mil
        Student fees: $8.5 mil
        School funds: $5.1 mil
        Percentage: 62.5%
        Deficit: $3.2 mil

ISU
        Expenses: $21.3 mil
        Total Revenue: $21.6 mil
        Student fees: $9.1 mil
        School funds: $6 mil
        Percentage: 70%
        Surplus: $0.3 mil

Those school funds and student fees are going to look mighty tempting to administrators looking to offset these cuts. If those go, the cost of subsidizing an FCS football program is going to look like a big target, especially at SIU, which had an athletics deficit of $3.2 mil.

Comment

My heart is broken that Illinois State could hurt from this. Absolutely devastated.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
            Not surprising. The underfunded state pensions in
            Illinois are fueling the problem. IMO, this reflects a lack of financial management on past legislatures and governors. Same sort of problem as Louisiana, but instead of cutting revenue too much, these folks just spent money they did not have. I would tend to blame the dens more than the republicans for this, but is could have been fixed by the republicans when they held the governorship. I'm not sure if the R's ever controlled the hous, but pretty sure they controlled the senate, given that most of the state (outside Chicago) is pretty much Republican country.
            So really you are saying kudos to the current Republican governor for fixing their spending problem?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Moved by OP.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 2, 2016, 06:36 PM.

Comment

It will be interesting if this forces Chicago State to close (or shut down athletics).

Between this and New Mexico State and UMKC (possibly back to Summit), have to think the WAC is shaking in their boots.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGirl View Post
                  It will be interesting if this forces Chicago State to close (or shut down athletics).

Between this and New Mexico State and UMKC (possibly back to Summit), have to think the WAC is shaking in their boots.
                  It is tragic to see what was at one time a very respectable conference, the WAC, and what it is now.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                    It is tragic to see what was at one time a very respectable conference, the WAC, and what it is now.
                    The old WAC is basically the new MWC. If I figured right, there have been 13 former WAC schools become MWC schools at one time or another, of which, 9 are still in the MWC.

Comment

Working...
                    X