Why not to root for The Flagship even though they're a Kansas team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not to root for The Flagship even though they're a Kansas team

I've heard some Shocker fans, including those who like to be civic minded and self-consciously civil like Mike Kennedy and Dave Dahl, say they like to see the Chickenhawks do well as long as it doesn't hurt WSU, because they're from our state too. And I suppose I understand that way of thinking, although I strongly disagree myself.

But tonight I was looking at a couple of Alabama websites after their thrilling win in the football championship game (RTR!), since I had some adrenalin left over from the game and wasn't at all sleepy; and in doing so stumbled upon an article that compiled, of all things, the social media reactions of some AUBURN players to the glorious victory. As you might guess, they were mostly not gracious despite their state and conference connection with the Tide. But there was one in particular that had me laughing out loud and said all anyone should ever need to know about such rooting situations:

Pulling for Alabama because they're in the SEC is like pulling for the devil because he's in the Bible.

Substitute "Kansas" for "Alabama" and "same state" for "SEC" -- case closed.

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    I've heard some Shocker fans, including those who like to be civic minded and self-consciously civil like Mike Kennedy and Dave Dahl, say they like to see the Chickenhawks do well as long as it doesn't hurt WSU, because they're from our state too. And I suppose I understand that way of thinking, although I strongly disagree myself.

But tonight I was looking at a couple of Alabama websites after their thrilling win in the football championship game (RTR!), since I had some adrenalin left over from the game and wasn't at all sleepy; and in doing so stumbled upon an article that compiled, of all things, the social media reactions of some AUBURN players to the glorious victory. As you might guess, they were mostly not gracious despite their state and conference connection with the Tide. But there was one in particular that had me laughing out loud and said all anyone should ever need to know about such rooting situations:

Pulling for Alabama because they're in the SEC is like pulling for the devil because he's in the Bible.

Substitute "Kansas" for "Alabama" and "same state" for "SEC" -- case closed.
    My sentiments exactly!

Comment

I will unapologetically root for KU. The better they are, wins, conference titles, rankings, etc...the sweeter the victory when we beat them.

Comment

Alabama may be in the SEC, but Clemson is in the ACC.

OP is big 'Bama fan otherwise no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          I will unapologetically root for KU. The better they are, wins, conference titles, rankings, etc...the sweeter the victory when we beat them.
          Interesting theory, and I understand what you're getting at, but I'll bet it was the serpent who told you it's sweeter that way.

Comment

Alabama and Auburn fans hate each other. I remember years ago Kenny Stabler was doing an interview and was asked about the hate between the two schools and he said he hated Auburn so much that he would not take his dog to the vet no matter how sick it was, he would shoot it first. Apparently that is where the vet school is.

Comment

Working...
            X