Bo Ryan steps down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bo Ryan steps down

Wisconsin men's basketball head coach Bo Ryan announced his retirement Tuesday evening, effective immediately , according to the program's Twitter account ...
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Sounds like Ben Jacobson isn't going to get a shot at the moment.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Sounds like Ben Jacobson isn't going to get a shot at the moment.
      MVC is better with Ben Staying at Northern Iowa

Comment

I always thought he was a helluva coach who built a fine program on and off the court. Lots of respect for who he is and what he's accomplished.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Greeny 'can't stand' Bo Ryan's retirement

Mike Greenberg sees Ryan's retirement as him manipulating the system to make assistant Greg Gard Wisconsin's next coach: "It's not his job to stack the deck so his guy can become the next coach."

Mike Greenberg makes a pretty standout statement here. Watch the video where he explains his thinking.

Mike Greenberg sees Bo Ryan's retirement as him manipulating the system to make assistant Greg Gard the next coach at Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
            Greeny 'can't stand' Bo Ryan's retirement

Mike Greenberg sees Ryan's retirement as him manipulating the system to make assistant Greg Gard Wisconsin's next coach: "It's not his job to stack the deck so his guy can become the next coach."

Mike Greenberg makes a pretty standout statement here. Watch the video where he explains his thinking.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14378928
            Why shouldn't he? Or better yet, as an old buddy of mine (now deceased) who was a Harvard grad used to say, "Incest is best!" Everyone knows what he's doing. I don't have a problem with it. If the Gard can't hack it, he'll be gone. If Ryan had waited until the end of the season, they probably would have hired another one of "Pitino's kids" with a pedigree and all and Gard would be at the equivalent of UW-Green Bay.

Gard recruited the athletes and he worked many hours at a much lower pay grade than Ryan. Ryan is trying to show some loyalty to his assistant.

I know many people don't understand what loyalty really means these days, but I think Coach said it best when he was talking about Shaq a couple of weeks ago. You know, that 'I got your back' thingy?

Comment

A coach laying plans to retire in the middle of the season is unfair to the members of his team, and to his recruits. The stuff with the AD, I could care less about. Either the AD will have the balls to do the right thing or he won't. But jumping ship on your players in the middle of the season, and after recruiting and getting kids to sign LOIs to the school, isn't cool if you have done so as a succession plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                A coach laying plans to retire in the middle of the season is unfair to the members of his team, and to his recruits. The stuff with the AD, I could care less about. Either the AD will have the balls to do the right thing or he won't. But jumping ship on your players in the middle of the season, and after recruiting and getting kids to sign LOIs to the school, isn't cool if you have done so as a succession plan.
                Given that he had already announced his retirement coming at the end of this year, I'm not sure it can be seen as abusive to recruits, since they should have already known he wouldn't be there next season.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  Given that he had already announced his retirement coming at the end of this year, I'm not sure it can be seen as abusive to recruits, since they should have already known he wouldn't be there next season.
                  He then also said he might not. Perhaps not coincidentally at the height of summer recruiting, before the fall signing period.

Comment

He then also said he might not. Perhaps not coincidentally at the height of summer recruiting, before the fall signing period.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...e-after-season
                    True, but retiring in the middle of the season vs at the end of the season would make no difference in that regard. In any case, recruits had enough information to know that his retirement was likely in the near future.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

His statements in August were that he might not retire after this season at all, which I could see having direct implications to recruiting. But you are correct, an intelligent and informed recruit should probably have had it in his mind that Ryan was likely to retire sometime during said recruit's time at Wisconsin.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I can see why some would be upset if he really has been trying to manipulate things. There is a difference between loyalty and manipulation.

Comment

His statements in August were that he might not retire after this season at all, which I could see having direct implications to recruiting. But you are correct, an intelligent and informed recruit should probably have had it in his mind that Ryan was likely to retire sometime during said recruit's time at Wisconsin.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I can see why some would be upset if he really has been trying to manipulate things. There is a difference between loyalty and manipulation.
                        I thought I read that Wisconsin doesn't even have a 2016 commit yet.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

One would also hope that if Gard has been a / the key recruiter for Wisconsin, anyone who signed in the fall would be comfortable with him.

But if not for some reason, wouldn't any such players be free to look elsewhere the same as when a coach is fired (or leaves of his own accord to go to another school)? I suppose they'd be inconvenienced in the sense that they'd need to reopen their recruiting, but as others have noted, the departure of Ryan at some point during their careers -- along with the ascension of Gard to the top spot, at least for a while -- can't possibly come as a shock.
                          Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 16, 2015, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Coach quits mid season forcing an AD to hire his guy and let me guess, we applaud him? Must be nice to avoid criticism no matter what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley View Post
                              Coach quits mid season forcing an AD to hire his guy and let me guess, we applaud him? Must be nice to avoid criticism no matter what you do.
                              If you think the players would have any 'say' in who the new coach would be, guess again.

And more often than not, the new guy will want his assistants and his system. That means Gard gets kicked to the curb.

I remember when Dave Piehler played for Newton High School. After he graduated, he accepted a scholarship at SMU and was selected the Southwest Conference Freshman of the year. Then his coach, Sonny Allen got fired and he was introduced to the end of the bench, never to be seen again.

That's how it works in the real world. Nowadays he would have transferred and made someone else a fine player. He had range out to 35 feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X