Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana needs a reality check

Why is life this way for Tom Crean?

That's the question I came here to answer.

So basically, I asked Tom Crean why more people don't like Tom Crean.

"Well, you know what happened last March, right?" Crean asked.

And I did. But I waited for him to say it. And then he did.

"Tom Crean sucks."

As the story goes, Crean and his wife, Joani, were at their son Riley's high school basketball game. It was a road game. Against a rival. And when Riley checked-in and walked onto the court, some students started a "Tom Crean sucks" chant that filled the gym.
    Equally hard was what happened to Megan Crean, Tom and Joani's oldest child.

She's a student at Indiana.

"Megan is remarkable," Joani said before telling a story that … well, man, listen to this story.

"One of her professors, on April 1, announced to the class that Tom Crean got fired," Joani said. "He said 'Tom Crean was fired this morning.' And Megan was sitting in the class. And people cheered. And then the professor said … 'April Fools!'"

I mean, can you imagine? You're a student, sitting in class, surrounded by friends, and your professor is joking about your father being fired. And your classmates are cheering.
    I get it. They miss the success they had before Knight-fall. But c'mon.

And in the 2nd paragraph Parrish proves why he doesn't understand what Indiana basketball is all about:
    "and overachieved as recently as last season when his Hoosiers were picked 11th in the Big Ten but still made the Field of 68"

Because IU should never be picked 11th in the Big Ten... EVER. You shouldn't let your program fall 2 years after a #1 seed and 2 top 5 NBA draft picks to missing the NCAA tournament and being picked 11th preseason. Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, Arizona etc. they make it year in and year out. They compete year in year out... Why are Indiana fans unrealistic when they expect to do the same? Because Kelvin Sampson screwed them 2 years?
    At some point you have to stop leaning on that crutch and have a program that is consistently winning. National writers can say what they want over and over but if they haven't figured it out by now they never will.

Comment

I hope Crean give Creighton a reality check tonight.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think Crean gets a bum rap from IU alumni. The guy next to me in my cube farm is an IU alum and he dislikes Crean. I think it's always hard to follow a legend - many people have failed. But I will say this - Tom Crean is the best (from all facets including ethics and honesty) coach Indiana has had since Knight.

Comment

Working...
        X