No announcement yet.

The illusion that was KSU football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Coach Snyder, he's a class act. Rarely, rarely, does KSU ever get 4 or 5 star recruits. In fact, I think the last time they got these types of recruits is when the Brown Bros. figured out that the grass isn't always greener. His 4 and 5 star guys primarily come to KSU by the way of transfer. Besides, have you thought how difficult it must be to recruit someone to come to Manhattan, smack dab in the middle of nowhere, KS?

I will be very surprised if KSU finds the success they had under Snyder when he retires. We've seen what happened to that program before when he left, it'll be that way again when he finally hangs it up. My prediction, when he does leave, KSU will find a lightning in the bottle coach who will bring success then he'll leave for a bigger program and KSU will end up being Stepping Stone U. Just as long as they continue to punish KU in football, that is all I care about.

Comment

One of the most creative and remarkable posts to nowhere in the history of Shockernet, KW. And what a great last name for the hero: Badazki. Reminds me of the name used in one of Bill James's early Baseball Abstracts for the big ballpark on Lake Erie where the Indians used to play: Freeziar Azoff Stadium.

Can we all agree that Kung Wu has way, way, waaaaaay too much time on his hands?

Edit: By the way, bleed, beating one's rivals is important other places, too, almost as much as not losing to one's rivals (a great way to get fired if you do it long enough and don't compensate in other important ways). So as much as I join you in chuckling at the EMAW football crowd, they aren't unique in that regard by any means.
      Last edited by WSUwatcher; October 29, 2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I can top it.

Back in '83 a guy by the name of Roman Badazki defected to Wichita from an eastern bloc country where they say his legendary soccer skills were drawing too much attention to the war torn region, so they tortured him and amputated his kicking leg.

Well in Wichita his legend had preceded him and before he even set foot at Midcontinent Airport, one of the Wings players had already hooked him up with coaching one of the absolute worst 3rd grade AYSO soccer teams in the country. It was there he first ran into his soon-to-be rival and nemesis, Shockernet's very own @JJClamdip:.

At the time JJClamdip had recruited basically all of the local boys he could find, with the single requirement that they were in the top 10th percentile of the 3rd grade in terms of height. Instead of teaching foot skills, Clamdip realized early on that an overly physical aerial assault could be practically unstoppable. So he taught his kids to slide tackle feet up, grab shirts while jumping, how to land on an opponents heels to knock their shoes off when jumping for a 50/50 ball, etc.

And at first it worked. He rose quickly in the ranks and everyone knew that '84 would be the year he would win district and regionals and be recorded in the AYSO Hall of Fame with his masterful new style that was dominating 3rd Grade Boys clubs far and wide.

However, per AYSO rules, girls had to be allowed to participate. And it just so happened that Roman's sponsor upon defection was the parent of one of the all-girls soccer team, The Smurfettes. Well they had not only never won a match but had never even scored a goal against Clamdip's Bombers.

Well that season, Roman, now known as the Wichita Wonder in the local coaching circles, was able to tap his contacts at Der Kaiser's East German Soccer Academy and import some orphan girls that were downright deadly with a ball at their feet.

For six straight years, Clamdip would have his butt handed to him in the district championship game, never making it to AYSO regionals. His reign of terror was over before it even began. His kids couldn't be consoled and neither could he. It was just too much, losing to girls in the district soccer championship matches year after year after year.

And to this day JJClamdip can no longer bring himself to watch a soccer match. He's sworn off the sport and belittles it to anybody that will listen.

But this story isn't about JJClamdip. It's a story about one of the greatest turnarounds in all of sports, by Roman "The Wonder" Badazki. This is a story about The Smurfettes.
        Does your wife know you have this much time on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          We all benefit from wifi in Kung's doghouse.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Can we all agree that Kung Wu has way, way, waaaaaay too much time on his hands?
            It's not coincidental that I posted this while riding passenger on a very long trip from Florida to Wichita. I had EXACTLY "waaaaay too much time" on my hands. LOL

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            One of the most creative and remarkable posts to nowhere in the history of Shockernet, KW. And what a great last name for the hero: Badazki.
            Glad somebody caught that!
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Thanks, KW -- I think we may be back to a variation on pogo's question: does your wife know you were riding passenger on a very long trip from Florida to Wichita?

That's a long trip indeed. Possibly almost as long as K-State's trip to football respectability may be once Snyder leaves and the seemingly inevitable deterioration follows.
              Last edited by WSUwatcher; October 29, 2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                It's not coincidental that I posted this while riding passenger on a very long trip from Florida to Wichita. I had EXACTLY "waaaaay too much time" on my hands. LOL

Glad somebody caught that!
                Probably better that you were twiddling on your phone than something or someone else! :)
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Curious what would have happened at KSU if WSU had not dropped football.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                    Curious what would have happened at KSU if WSU had not dropped football.
                    Probably the same thing. Snyder landing there, turning their program around and keeping them decent for a few decades would of happened even if wsu kept football.. We might of nabbed a few of Snyder's recruits, but that wouldn't of changed much.

Comment

I have a ton of respect for Bill Snyder. However, I wonder if his age (currently 76) has or will start to work against him in recruiting. Granted he has always tended to recruit under the radar anyway but at this point it is getting increasingly difficult to assure that Coach Snyder will be around for the duration of a recruits career especially when he will be in his 80's when next year's freshman class are seniors.

Comment

Working...
                      X