Texas preparing to fire their A.D. today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas preparing to fire their A.D. today

It was a little strange that they didn't pursue Marshall.. Wonder how much that factors into this decision?

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
    It was a little strange that they didn't pursue Marshall.. Wonder how much that factors into this decision?
    Maybe somewhat, but if you look into Patterson's history there is plenty of fodder to motivate firing him.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

He was not a popular man in Austin, and now he's not in Austin. I would expect Mack Brown to be named interim, if not permanent AD at some point.

Comment

As far as the University of Texas is concerned, Mack Brown is probably the one guy that I can think of from there that I kind of liked, player or coach of any sport.

Edit: Forgot about Durant. I like him too.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

During the course of reading various media articles on this news I was rather shocked at what an unimpressive resume Patterson had before taking over the reigns in Austin. He was AD at Arizona State for a stint so short no trend on performance could be noted, and other than his also fairly short stint with the Portland Trailblazers, what remains is mostly a hodge-podge of BS jobs seemingly earned off of his birthright. Makes one wonder how he even got the UT job in the first place.

Comment

They sure have quite the mess going on down in Austin.. Now the 2 new hires in football and basketball are going to be looking over their shoulders. Lol. I doubt either one will last 3 seasons.

Comment

When Texas cans Charlie Strong after this season, they better have a Chip Kelly like hire ready to go. Charlie can flat out coach.

Comment

I think they will be fine with Shaka. Strong better be packing though. Mack Brown would be a good AD with all his big booster ties.

Comment

I don't think Charlie Strong is anywhere near the hot seat at the moment. They need to play better this year. But unless they go like 2-10/3-9 he will be the coach in 2016. Mack Brown left him a total mess. The sense of entitlement and the culture there were simply horrendous. They have to give Charlie more time to get things fixed, though it does seem that he messed up with his OC hire.

Mack Brown seems like a nice man. I met him once and he was very generous with his time. I was honestly trying to slip away and give him his space but he kept re-engaging. That said, he would make a pretty bad AD. I don't think he wants to be the AD, I think he just wants to hear the people clamor for him to be the AD. That is enough for him. He has a hard time making the tough decisions.

They will go hard after Jurich at Louisville and probably del Conte at TCU. Whoever they get, on the positive side, it will be almost impossible to do any worse than they did the last time.

Comment

Mack Brown caused all of the current problems when he started resting on his laurels and let recruiting slide. He didn't offer Andrew Luck (Houston) and offered RGIII and Manziel as defensive backs. No way do you put him in charge of the man that replaced him. Coach Strong is far from on the hot seat, those in charge now realize how empty the cupboard was when Charlie took over. Check out how many Freshman start next time you watch Texas. That's on Mack. I'm not sure Shaka can get burger boys to play his style but I have no doubt that Strong will succeed with his.
                    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Look, I'm no UT fan, but I don't think Mack wears as much as some are saying....or shouldn't wear maybe is a better way to say it.

It's not always about "you". Sometimes it's about the other guy outdoing "you". In the history of Texas, rarely has UT had to outdo anyone. They get who they want because basically everyone wants to go to Texas.

Sure A&M has always been there, but it's a Longhorn state, without question. Then, hello Coach Briles. He's owned high school football in Texas for awhile now.

I think Coach Briles has changed the culture of Texas football, from PeeWee to college, more than any other man in the last 20 years or so. Mack didn't follow suit for sure, but I give more credit to Art than I do blame to Mack. Just my opinion.

Comment

Also, after last night's disaster (trailed at home by 21 in the 4th before mounting a comeback, only to miss a potential game tying extra point in the final 15 seconds before losing 45-44 to Cal) you can bet your last dollar he's on the hot seat. The Horns are more likely than not to be 1-5 after the Oklahoma game and if that happens, they better get either KState at home or Iowa State in Ames or it's going to be a loser take all battle against Kansas for last place in the Big 12 on Nov 7 in Austin, with the loser taking on Missouri State for worst team in America.

6-6 would be a hell of a season at this point. 5-7 is probably the most likely finish but gosh bless, you have gimmies with Rice, KU and ISU. At Texas, I don't care how bad it is, you have to win more than 2 of 9 competitive games.

Comment

I think the development of Heard last night helps Charlie out immensely. In reading Texas boards today (shaggytexas) they seem more optimistic. I really don't think Strong will be out after this year.

Mack Brown is really tough to place on the list of great coaches. His overall winning percentage is great but then you have his record against OU and the number of conference titles that Bob Stoops has amassed at Oklahoma in comparison. He only won the national title in 2005 when he had one of the most talented players in the history of college football in Vince Young. And their best play on offense that year was a busted play where Vince just made a magical play. I will grant you the fact that had Colt McCoy not been injured in the first quarter of the 2010 Rose Bowl, he probably gets that second title and most likely walks away then. He would be up there with the all-time greats at that point. So the margin isn't all that big.

Comment

Working...
                          X