What are the top 3 MBB coaching jobs according to coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the top 3 MBB coaching jobs according to coaches

We concluded our annual Candid Coaches series by asking coaches for a list of the top three college basketball jobs in the country. Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina ranked first, second and third.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I wouldn't follow Coach K that's a career killer.

UNC normally might be a top job but if they get hit hard, it will be awhile until it's top three.

UK is forever elite, as long as you can handle the attention.
    Last edited by Bentley; August 27, 2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

IU has all the makings of a sleeping giant. Alabama football went 17 years in between titles. IU is going on 30.

Part of that is due to their last national championship coach not hanging on as long as Knight did.

The other part of that is that Alabama never kept a failed coach longer than 4 years. If IU had followed the same strategy, they would have saved the last two years of the Mike Davis regime and this past year of Crean's tenure (if you allow for the 2 extra years everybody excepts his performance from in the beginning).

That means IU would be in the 3rd year of Coach #4 (post Knight) and one year away from knowing if IU needed to move on to Coach #5 (post Knight). A good AD doesn't need more than 4 years to evaluate a coach.

Additionally, 'bama jettisoned a young coach with a new extension and went and actively lobbied Saban away from the Dolphins. In other words, they did not sit around waiting for failed coaches to magically "get it" in year 7, and they certainly didn't pay some know-nothing search firm to go out and identify candidates (that's what the AD is for).

IU basketball may have the historical relevance of Alabama football. Like Alabama, it may have the structural advantage to regain that relevance someday.

Unfortunately for IU basketball, it does not have the leadership that Alabama football has.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley View Post
        I wouldn't follow Coach K' that's a career killer.
        I'll do it!!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          I'll do it!!
          Sign me up, too. If my basketball coaching career ended after 1 year with 5MM in the bank and millions more coming in a buyout, I think I could live with it.

Comment

I'll do it!!
            Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Sign me up, too. If my basketball coaching career ended after 1 year with 5MM in the bank and millions more coming in a buyout, I think I could live with it.
            With your resume's (and mine) it would likely be a volunteer position.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Surely I would still get a healthy recruiting per diem? Sounds worth it.

Comment

Surely I would still get a healthy recruiting per diem? Sounds worth it.
                You might even be able to negotiate a punch-card for 50 meals at the dorm cafeteria.

Comment

Heck, I'd even accept an assistant spot under Cdizzle!

Welllll, not literally "under" Cdizzle.

Comment

Heck, I'd even accept an assistant spot under Cdizzle!

Welllll, not literally "under" Cdizzle.
                    Excellent. This way I could continue Coach K's tradition of not talking to the media and just have you deal with that crap.

Comment

I'll be the DOBO: Director of Bimbo Operations. Or is that position unique to Louisville?

Comment

Excellent. This way I could continue Coach K's tradition of not talking to the media and just have you deal with that crap.
                        Ewwww, that's my specialty!

Comment

I'll be the DOBO: Director of Bimbo Operations. Or is that position unique to Louisville?
                          Yup I think Pitino has that one locked up.

Comment

Yup I think Pitino has that one locked up.
                            I wonder if Rickie Pitino buggers chicks in MN like the old man?

Comment

Working...
                            X