March Sadness 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Sadness 2015

@joshklingler: @bob:fescoe @kent_hemi here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8B...&feature=share
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

I'm really surprised that he didn't go into the near Soviet Russian style secret policing of NCAA branded and sponsor branded advertising. As well as their strict enforcing of their trademarked phrases such as Final Four, Final 4, F4, March Madness, March Mayhem, Champions Win Here, Champions Play Here, and my personal favorite "Dribble." Yes, they trademarked the word Dribble.

Also the always enjoyable story (that's no longer relevant because they changed the rules, but this was an actual rule a few years ago) that you can provide a recruit on a recruiting visit a bagel, but not a spread such as cream cheese for that bagel. The spread is luxury.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I am certainly not a fan of how money is so prevalent in the college sports environment. I rolled my eyes multiple times when times of great excitement were killed by a stupid promotion during the Northern Iowa game. It can certainly be ridiculous to watch the arms race or to see how coaches get paid like they do.

That said, I missed the part where the student-athletes were held at gunpoint and forced to play collegiate sports. They all willingly signed up for it. If it is such a bad deal where you are starving and can't get paid, don't do it. There are kids all across the country who would give anything to have the opportunities that high-level college athletes have.

While guys like Jalen Rosen and Ed O'Bannon certainly have valid points about exploitation, if you asked each of them, knowing what they know, if they would go through it again, I guarantee they wouldn't trade the experience for anything and would go at it again if they could.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        I am certainly not a fan of how money is so prevalent in the college sports environment. I rolled my eyes multiple times when times of great excitement were killed by a stupid promotion during the Northern Iowa game. It can certainly be ridiculous to watch the arms race or to see how coaches get paid like they do.

That said, I missed the part where the student-athletes were held at gunpoint and forced to play collegiate sports. They all willingly signed up for it. If it is such a bad deal where you are starving and can't get paid, don't do it. There are kids all across the country who would give anything to have the opportunities that high-level college athletes have.

While guys like Jalen Rosen and Ed O'Bannon certainly have valid points about exploitation, if you asked each of them, knowing what they know, if they would go through it again, I guarantee they wouldn't trade the experience for anything and would go at it again if they could.
        If you asked Jalen and Ed what other choices they had, they would probably tell you none. Indentured servitude is probably better that abject poverty, but that's not a justification for indentured servitude when the "employer" is filthy stinking rich and reaping the benefits of non-profit status.

If these "student athletes" were guaranteed a full scholarship for four years, then I would be more likely to agree with you, but we know all too well that they are not and this board is guilty as any at treating these kids like disposable diapers when they fail to meet our expectations. When they fail to perform on their "job" on the floor, they are "encouraged' to transfer (resign).
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          If you asked Jalen and Ed what other choices they had, they would probably tell you none. Indentured servitude is probably better that abject poverty, but that's not a justification for indentured servitude when the "employer" is filthy stinking rich and reaping the benefits of non-profit status.

If these "student athletes" were guaranteed a full scholarship for four years, then I would be more likely to agree with you, but we know all too well that they are not and this board is guilty as any at treating these kids like disposable diapers when they fail to meet our expectations. When they fail to perform on their "job" on the floor, they are "encouraged' to transfer (resign).
          Very good points, especially on the four-year scholarship comment. The college coaches probably should do a better job of painting the correct picture so that the kid knows exactly what lies ahead and is expected of them. Of course, in the recruiting period, some coaches tend to kiss backside and say whatever it takes to impress the recruit. Thankfully, Gregg is a straight shooter, so I imagine he would be as forthcoming in the process as possible.
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post

I'm all for 4 year guaranteed scholarships as long as a player can be removed from a team, continue his education, but with a scholarship that is not counted against the team and the player is in good standing. My guess is, in basketball/football, he will move on to another school anyway or drop out to try and go pro somewhere (probably unsuccessfully). By the way, the coach, athletic department, and school in this situation would be under no obligation to help the student athlete find another school or tutor the individual, as they have guaranteed his opportunity to a paid education. Why should they be obligated to more? What he does with it is up to him.

I'm also in favor of stipends.

Comment

I don't know where else to post this. This video was the video that automatically streamed at the conclusion of the video linked at the start of this thread. With that, a few disclaimers:

The statements, views and opinions expressed in the following video do not represent the feelings, opinions or beliefs of MoValley John, his family, friends or associates. The video contains material that some may find objectionable. Watch at your own risk.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
              X