Number of Sports in Athletic Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Sports in Athletic Program

If you combine Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field together, but count XC separately Wichita State sponsors 13 Sports. 6 Men's programs and 7 for Women.

I was looking from a softball live stats link on Stanford's web site and I noticed they sponsor 36 sports. 16 for men and 20 for women.

Now that is a full plate. That has to be at or near the top of the NCAA charts I would think.

The official athletics website for the Stanford University Cardinal

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    If you combine Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field together, but count XC separately Wichita State sponsors 13 Sports. 6 Men's programs and 7 for Women.

I was looking from a softball live stats link on Stanford's web site and I noticed they sponsor 36 sports. 16 for men and 20 for women.

Now that is a full plate. That has to be at or near the top of the NCAA charts I would think.

http://www.gostanford.com/
    I believe that the Pac-12 sponsors less than 25 sports. Also, a number of those sports listed by Stanford are not NCAA sponsored, some may even be Club teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      I believe that the Pac-12 sponsors less than 25 sports. Also, a number of those sports listed by Stanford are not NCAA sponsored, some may even be Club teams.
      That makes sense. I haven't seen anyone else list their club sports on their website before so I did not even think about that.

However, according to this list the NCAA Sponsors 51 Division 1 sports if I counted correctly. I did not compare this list to Stanford's list of sports.

It is not unusual for a school to play a sport that its conference does not sponsor. We have 5 Valley schools that play FCS football in the MVCFC that includes 5 other non-Valley schools. Drake plays FCS football in the Pioneer conference.

Several sports sponsored by the Valley have schools from other conferences participating.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        That makes sense. I haven't seen anyone else list their club sports on their website before so I did not even think about that.

However, according to this list the NCAA Sponsors 51 Division 1 sports if I counted correctly. I did not compare this list to Stanford's list of sports.

It is not unusual for a school to play a sport that its conference does not sponsor. We have 5 Valley schools that play FCS football in the MVCFC that includes 5 other non-Valley schools. Drake plays FCS football in the Pioneer conference.

Several sports sponsored by the Valley have schools from other conferences participating.
        Also, the NCAA may sponsor a sport, but the school may not play NCAA. Bowling comes to mind, along with club teams.

Comment

The only sports on Stanford's list of sports not on the NCAA D-1 Sponsorship list were Men's Rowing, Men's & Women's Sailing, Women's Squash and Synchronized Swimming (unless the NCAA considers that part of swimming and diving but I doubt that is the case).

That is still a pretty sizable list of NCAA sponsored sports. Now whether Stanford participates in the NCAA in all those sports I can't say. I think it's possible some could still be club sports at Stanford even though they are sponsored by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Also, the NCAA may sponsor a sport, but the school may not play NCAA. Bowling comes to mind, along with club teams.

Yep.

Comment

Working...
            X