Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even non-soccer fans must watch this ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even non-soccer fans must watch this ...

Even if you hate soccer, this was a fantastic finish between Yale and North Carolina that must be watched by all. Seriously a fantastic shoot-out:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Even if you hate soccer, this was a fantastic finish between Yale and North Carolina that must be watched by all. Seriously a fantastic shoot-out:

KU knows how Scott Sterling feels after being beaten and battered by Kentucky.

Comment

"Sweet Butter Crumpets!" indeed.

Comment

Yale - UNC Soccer Game

There are so many things wrong with this that it's hard to know where to start. For one thing, these 2 teams didn't play each other this year.

What a spoof? I wonder how this was put together!

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
          Digital magic.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
            There are so many things wrong with this that it's hard to know where to start. For one thing, these 2 teams didn't play each other this year.

You mean it wasn't real...damn.

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH SCOTT STERLING
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Given the current legal climate, soccer will clearly never catch on in this country -- too many concussions!

And no, it doesn't help that they're all sustained by one guy.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Given the current legal climate, soccer will clearly never catch on in this country -- too many concussions!

Soccer would probably be more popular if there was more scoring. Get rid of the goalie and let the other players defend he goal. And then allow any player inside the goalie area to use their hands, but not to catch the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    Soccer would probably be more popular if there was more scoring. Get rid of the goalie and let the other players defend he goal. And then allow any player inside the goalie area to use their hands, but not to catch the ball.
                    I agree. Also, make the goal smaller, place it 10 feet off the ground, and allow players to use their hands. Would probably want to reduce the size of the field, make it harder, and you'll probably have to reduce the number of players as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

What do you mean will never catch on? That ship has sailed.

Game 7 of the MLB world series: 13.7 million viewers in the U.S.
                      World Cup final: 26 million viewers in the U.S.

But what about regular season professional soccer in the US?

Average number of viewers for each regular season MLS game: 665,000 per regular season game.
                      Average number of viewers for each regular season EPL game: 438,000 per regular season game.
                      Average number of viewers for each regular season La Liga game: 145,000 per regular season game.

[source]

You can add those up and show that soccer is double the average MLB viewership. But if you want to just compare the MLS to the American past time ...

Average number of viewers for each regular season MLB game: 690,000

So the MLS is on par with the MLB, by itself, in terms of American viewers.

[source]

There are a lot more ways to compare popularity though, and it's all trending extremely well for soccer. For example, more high schoolers play soccer than baseball now. The MLS gets higher fan turnout than the NBA does, on a per game basis. [same source]]

The youth participation trends are skyrocketing.

But above of all else, the one key statistic that cannot be ignored is ... Creighton plays soccer. Right, @JJClamdip:?

Comment

Those are surprising numbers. Soccer no doubt is gaining popularity at a fast rate. I admit that I barely pay attention to football anymore. My son plays soccer too, which makes it actually interesting to me now.

Soccer is a relatively cheap sport to play at the youth levels. A lot cheaper than football is.

Creighton does play. Does Missouri state still play too?

And that video is hilarious. Took me a minute to figure out what was really going on though.

Comment

Average number of viewers for each regular season MLS game: 665,000 per regular season game.
                          Average number of viewers for each regular season EPL game: 438,000 per regular season game.
                          Average number of viewers for each regular season La Liga game: 145,000 per regular season game.

[source]

You can add those up and show that soccer is double the average MLB viewership. But if you want to just compare the MLS to the American past time ...

[source]

There are a lot more ways to compare popularity though, and it's all trending extremely well for soccer. For example, more high schoolers play soccer than baseball now. The MLS gets higher fan turnout than the NBA does, on a per game basis. [same source]]

But above of all else, the one key statistic that cannot be ignored is ... Creighton plays soccer. Right, @JJClamdip:?
                          You are Lutz's alter ego when it comes to soccer.
                          :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                            You are Lutz's alter ego when it comes to soccer.
                            :-)
                            Who is Lutz? :)

Comment

[source]

[source]

First, I'm far from a soccer hater. I coached youth soccer and even had the privilege of coaching teams in the AAU Junior Olympics. I love the sport for youth and I went to a good number of Wings games back in the day. It is a very inexpensive game for schools and families. It is not surprising that attendance and viewership is growing.

However, one should temper comparing the MLS to MLB. MLS teams play only 34 games. A very limited number of times to view and small number of games to commit to watching. That's not the case with baseball. At this time, if there were more teams and more games, I feel the averages would go down, but overall totals would be higher.

By my findings and calculations of game attendance for 2014:

MLS average game attendance is 19,151. Number of games is 323. That's total attendance of 6,185,773.

MLB average game attendance is 30,346. Number of games is 2,430. That's total attendance of 73,740,780.
                              Only 2 of 30 MLB teams averaged less attendance than the average for MLS.
                              From 2004 through 2014, MLB attendance has been very steady except for 2 years that were somewhat higher. In all those years, the annual attendance has been higher than in any year prior to 2004.

Game viewership for 2014:

MLS 665,000 x 323 games = 214,795,000 total viewership

MLB 690,000 x 2,430 games = 1,676,700,000 total viewership
                              Last edited by ShockTalk; November 21, 2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X