Juco POY may redshirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juco POY may redshirt?

I saw a tweet today by Jon Rothstein saying Arizona is likely to redshirt Kadeem Allen, who was the juco POY last year at Hutch.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    I saw a tweet today by Jon Rothstein saying Arizona is likely to redshirt Kadeem Allen, who was the juco POY last year at Hutch.
    I guess Shockernet better roast Jon Rothstein for being so naive.

If that happens, Arizona must be really good.

Comment

And I think Allen is the type of player who is worth three years of scholarship for two years of production.

Comment

That would have been like us redshirting Early. Think what kind of team we'd have this year.

Comment

Here's a link to the story in the local paper:

Quote:
          “If we didn’t redshirt him, we may not put him in the best position to be a really good player at Arizona, to leave with his degree and some things that could be very meaningful for him,” Miller said. “It’s not as if he’s lagging behind. It’s just that you can only play so many players.

I think this is unusual, but if this kid thinks it will help his NBA career, I can see that. I'm a lot more skeptical about a good player who won't ever playing in the NBA making this decision. The decision will be made with considerations to draft position, bonus money and the fact that Arizona is absolutely loaded this year.

Other than FVV and Baker, do we have a player who is a can't miss NBA prospect right now?

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
            Here's a link to the story in the local paper:
            ucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/ua-wildcats-guard-allen-likely-to-redshirt/article_f74ba20e-688b-11e4-8662-d386c9a9da60.html

Quote:
            “If we didn’t redshirt him, we may not put him in the best position to be a really good player at Arizona, to leave with his degree and some things that could be very meaningful for him,” Miller said. “It’s not as if he’s lagging behind. It’s just that you can only play so many players.

I think this is unusual, but if this kid thinks it will help his NBA career, I can see that. I'm a lot more skeptical about a good player who won't ever playing in the NBA making this decision. The decision will be made with considerations to draft position, bonus money and the fact that Arizona is absolutely loaded this year.

Other than FVV and Baker, do we have a player who is a can't miss NBA prospect right now?
            Rauno Nurger
            Livin the dream

Comment

Not really, but he might be before he is done.
              Livin the dream

Comment

I folllow you wufan, and I think you have a point. I was thinking more about the speculation around Bush Wamuoka, Tevin Glass and so on. I think Nurger could definitely be an NBA prospect. But are we loaded enough to redshirt him? I'm selfish, I;d rather see him play. It's too bad we're a little thin at center. If Shaq had progressed a little quicker, this might be a good reason to RS him.

Note I live too far away to see the Northwoods game, perhaps you or someone else could speculate on whether we have enough size and depth to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  I folllow you wufan, and I think you have a point. I was thinking more about the speculation around Bush Wamuoka, Tevin Glass and so on. I think Nurger could definitely be an NBA prospect. But are we loaded enough to redshirt him? I'm selfish, I;d rather see him play. It's too bad we're a little thin at center. If Shaq had progressed a little quicker, this might be a good reason to RS him.

Note I live too far away to see the Northwoods game, perhaps you or someone else could speculate on whether we have enough size and depth to make it happen.
                  I don't think we do. The front court is Carter #1.
                  Wamukota, Nurger, and Kelly #2 in whatever order you prefer.
                  Glass and Morris are notably behind, and while they will give you wow moments, they'll also make you face palm. They look like a JUCO and a freshman respectively (and they are). Those two just don't give you as good of a chance to win as the other four.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    That would have been like us redshirting Early. Think what kind of team we'd have this year.

That's fun to fantasize about, 1979, but when Early arrived he didn't already have the equivalent of TJ McConnell playing his position. The closest thing was Carl Hall, whose greatness as a player and leader did not extend to stretching the floor: Carl finished the season 0-2 from three.

Arizona did not play Allen in their exhibition game Sunday, by the way, so that appears to support the contention of those who say that juco newcomers can't play in exhibitions if they're going to redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      That's fun to fantasize about, 1979, but when Early arrived he didn't already have the equivalent of TJ McConnell playing his position. The closest thing was Carl Hall, whose greatness as a player and leader did not extend to stretching the floor: Carl finished the season 0-2 from three.

Arizona did not play Allen in their exhibition game Sunday, by the way, so that appears to support the contention of those who say that juco newcomers can't play in exhibitions if they're going to redshirt.
                      If you read the story, Coach Miller talks about how he could have played.

It's my understanding only transfers who have to sit out a year can not play in exhibitions.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Thanks, shizzle. I read a different story before I posted, one that simply indicated Allen didn't play but didn't give further explanation. Having seen the one you linked, I see that Miller said nothing about the inability to play him and did indeed imply, at least in my view, that he could have played if it had made sense.

I'd still like for someone to cite the actual rule on the basis of which juco transfers like Bush or Glass supposedly are now foreclosed from redshirting, and explain specifically why that's the case. Personally, I remain skeptical. The good news is that I'm sure the coaches DO know what they can or can't do, and that they'll work with the players to do what makes sense given the limited number of frontcourt minutes available, especially if Wessel is going to be treated as a combo forward at times this season.

Comment

Bylaw 12.8.3.1.3 (Page 78) Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year.
                          During a student-athletes initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Adopted 11/01/01, Revised 08/08/02, 10/31/02, 05/09/06, 07/31/14)
                          Bylaw 17.3.3 (Page 237) covers the preseason competitions allowed by Basketball which of course includes the 1 closed practice scrimmage against D-1 competition and 1 exhibition game against non-D-1 competition that the Shockers play.

Accordingly, this year Shockers who are eligible to redshirt are: Zach Brown, Corey Henderson, Rashard Kelly, Rauno Nurger, Jared Walker, Tevin Glass and Bush Wamukota. I expect the opportunity to redshirt will be removed for all but 1 to 3 of these players after the New Mexico State game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D115.pdf

Bylaw 17.3.3 (Page 237) covers the preseason competitions allowed by Basketball which of course includes the 1 closed practice scrimmage against D-1 competition and 1 exhibition game against non-D-1 competition that the Shockers play.

Accordingly, this year Shockers who are eligible to redshirt are: Zach Brown, Corey Henderson, Rashard Kelly, Rauno Nurger, Jared Walker, Tevin Glass and Bush Wamukota. I expect the opportunity to redshirt will be removed for all but 1 to 3 of these players after the New Mexico State game.
                            Wait, so jucos are still an option, then?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                              Wait, so jucos are still an option, then?
                              It would appear so for those (Tevin and Bush) that are in their 1st year of enrollment at Wichita State.

Comment

Working...
                              X