WSU named in lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU named in lawsuit

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...case/17790847/ with every other division 1 school

The legal attacks on the NCAA and its limits on what athletes can receive while playing college sports have been spread across a much wider front with the filing of a lawsuit that names the NCAA and every Division I school as defendants.
    The suit — filed this week in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis, where the NCAA is headquartered — alleges that the NCAA and the schools are violating the wage-and-hour provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
    (FLSA).
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Interesting. I would have thought that 100+ years of precedence would have made this matter closed -- but who knows in this sue happy era?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Having not read the linked article I'm going to do a drive-by rush-to-judgement and presume one or more athletes didn't take advantage of their free education.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        Having not read the linked article I'm going to do a drive-by rush-to-judgement and presume one or more athletes didn't take advantage of their free education.
        :) My first reaction as well.

This suit extends on behalf of all NCAA athletes -- including non-scholarship athletes. The chick bringing the suit (former University of Houston women's soccer player) is using the argument that work-study students get paid to "perform non-academic functions for no academic credit" for the university and are therefore considered part-time employees. Since athletes meet that same requirement (so she argues), she believes the schools should be paying their athletes at least minimum wage. And she's suing the NCAA for preventing that.

Her example is interesting in that the work-study students are getting paid to sell programs at the very events that the athletes are performing in. In other words, the student bringing real immediate value to the school is not getting paid, while the one benefiting from all that hard work is. :)

Comment

Very enterprising litigation.

Houston is a big town for plaintiffs' lawyers. Maybe her boyfriend (or these days in Houston, girlfriend) works for a law firm that's looking for a big score.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            Very enterprising litigation.

Houston is a big town for plaintiffs' lawyers. Maybe her boyfriend (or these days in Houston, girlfriend) works for a law firm that's looking for a big score.
            Could be though they filed it in Indiana.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Could be though they filed it in Indiana.
              Perhaps because the NCAA is now headquartered in Indianapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Perhaps because the NCAA is now headquartered in Indianapolis.
                Exactly. That's what the article said, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X