Hawaii AD Says They May Have to Drop Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii AD Says They May Have to Drop Football

Seven years ago, the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors were 12-0 and set to play against the Georgia Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl.

Right now my guess is the AD is trying to shock the Rainbow alums and fan base into digging deeper into their pockets.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 19, 2014, 06:54 PM.

It will shock potential recruits too.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I think we're going see more of these stories from non-p5 football programs in the next few years. Their operating deficit is pretty staggering.
      Last edited by Shocker-maniac; August 20, 2014, 07:44 PM.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

If they drop football I wonder if the mwc would be less likely to add a basketball only school....
        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          I think we're going see more of these stories from non-p5 football programs in the next few years. Their operating deficit is pretty staggering.
          Dr. Bardo made a comment the other day about Fresno State's athletic department and how it may be forced to drop football. Fresno runs a full blown D-1 football program (pretty decent in recent years, too) and have $30.0MM athletic budget. For a little perspective, Wichita State's athletic budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20.0MM with no football.

Comment

Non P-5 schools can't complete in basketball if they also have a football program. Gotta choose. Mediocrity or worse in both or at least try to compete in basketball. The "Shocker Model" is the only way to go.
            Even P-5 schools that suck in football might have difficulty in keeping up with their fellow conference members who have big time football programs. Only a few schools in the SEC, B1G, Big XII and USC/UCLA will compete for a "National Championship" in football. The rest won't stand a chance.

Comment

Even in the P5, the "Haves" might break away from the "Have Nots". If Texas vs. Alabama will draw more TV revenue than Texas vs. Kansas, why wouldn't Texas just play Alabama and get a larger payday instead of playing KU and sharing their revenue stream with KU?

It's pretty much a done deal that only P5 schools will compete for a NC. Once Boise State and BYU can't compete for a NC, the revenue they can get from TV would seem to be the same if they were in FCS or FBS. Why wouldn't the non-P5 just drop to FCS?

Then there would be FCS schools paying "full cost" and some that couldn't afford that, which would create another divide. How long can it take for TV to put up the really big bucks if they get to call the schedules? Then KU and Iowa State may as well give up any pretense or hope of ever mattering in college FB no matter what they do. It's already too late for them, and they either sty in FBS or they may as well drop to FCS.

I wouldn['t be surprised if the P5 becomes the P2.with maybe 24 teams in a shorter-season version of the NFL.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I once heard a Sun Belt coach make a really great point on scheduling. If the Power 5 schools want to do their own thing, then they should play each other only. No more overmatched FCS or lower FBS opponents. You want just five main conferences? Then play ALL your games within those conferences. When your team gets beat up from playing equal-size athletes week after week like the NFL rather than having some throwaway games, that will make a team think twice about the value of those smaller schools.

Now granted, those FCS and lower FBS schools will never do that because they need the revenue of playing those guarantee games. I just wish they'd have the guts to give the P5s exactly what they want. Go let Jameis Winston play a full 12-game schedule against big boys. See if he makes it to the finish line unscathed without any injuries.
                78-65

Comment

Working...
                X