Calipari thinks NCAA is dying and suggests changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calipari thinks NCAA is dying and suggests changes

In his new book, Kentucky Wildcats coach John Calipari likens the NCAA to the dying Soviet Union and admonishes college sports' governing body for not changing with the times, according to a report.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

"I think we could have gotten somewhere with me as the point man, but the NCAA was not interested in my help," Calipari said, according to the WSJ. "The message I got, between the lines, was, 'No, not you. Not Calipari. We don't want him involved.'"

Wow. He really doesn't understand this. Most of America doesn't trust him. Why would the NCAA want him as the NCAA's "point man" on reform?

I believe any conversation regarding reform first has to address: 1) Is the welfare of all D-I institutions being taken into consideration? 2) Are you including the same rules for all D-I sports? 3) If you are drawing a line in the sand and asking those institutions who want to participate, to cross the line, are you guaranteeing a conference placement for those schools whose conference doesn't follow suit?

I think these first steps are key to could or will be accepted as changes. Will there be a division of rules between sports that generate revenue as opposed to those that do not?

I'm all for increased "benefits", not "wages". In other words, smaller stipends, better benefits.

I don't believe I'd have a problem with the insurance premium item except for how and who they apply it to.

$50,000 loan against future earnings? That's laughable. Needs to be much smaller, how is it regulated, and who all can the loan?

I don't believe I have a problem with players not sitting out a year if the coach leaves and they want to transfer as long as they do not follow the coach (they were not recruited with the coach's money, but the school's).

Don't have a problem with the one flight home.

Comment

Or in other words...."Things I do anyway that should be allowed by the NCAA" or "I'm sick of trying to hide these things...can't we just make 'em legal?"

Comment

Break the non-revenue sports away from the revenue sports. Form separate conferences for football, basketball, and the non-revenue sports. That way you could have competitive conferences in the revenue sports to maintain fan interest and get some good TV dollars, while the non-revenue sports could take on a more geographic nature, and avoid some of the insane travel for the minor sports participants.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
        X