UNC-classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC-classes

http://www.businessinsider.com/unc-athlete-essay-on-rosa-parks-gets-a-minus-2014-3

I
    s this true? If so how much does it go on?
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
    My guess is a lot. Perhaps they should just make football and basketball degree programs in and of themselves. Include some courses in interpersonal relations, motivational skills, leadership, training techniques, organizational skills, etc. etc. It would not necessarily be easy stuff, but perhaps the students would at least find it something they could relate to and get into. Might create a whole new crop of better coaches. Still need to make sure they have adequate reading skills but shouldn't they have that before being accepted into college. What would really go offer good is that the coaches would become professors. They might like the tenure, but perhaps not the pay.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 27, 2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Those classes are fine as far as they go but they don't exactly prepare a student athlete (one who will NOT be in sports as a professional of any kind be it player, coach, administrator, etc) for life and career after college, which I thought was the purpose of a college education.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
        Those classes are fine as far as they go but they don't exactly prepare a student athlete (one who will NOT be in sports as a professional of any kind be it player, coach, administrator, etc) for life and career after college, which I thought was the purpose of a college education.
        There are more than a few collegiate level courses and majors that do not prepare you for life and a decent career after college. Athletes who want to pursue a degree in other areas are not precluded from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          There are more than a few collegiate level courses and majors that do not prepare you for life and a decent career after college. Athletes who want to pursue a degree in other areas are not precluded from doing so.
          I agree with this statement. Allow me to add that some of those other courses expose one to things one would not normally take an interest in but opens up those area so that you can enjoy a more broad spectrum of activities in your life. Two courses that I took, music appreciation and theater appreciation, have allowed me to enjoy concerts and productions that I probably would not have even given a second thought to attending if I had not been "forced" to take those courses. I don't know if they still include these types of classes for the core requirements but I think they should.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            I agree with this statement. Allow me to add that some of those other courses expose one to things one would not normally take an interest in but opens up those area so that you can enjoy a more broad spectrum of activities in your life. Two courses that I took, music appreciation and theater appreciation, have allowed me to enjoy concerts and productions that I probably would not have even given a second thought to attending if I had not been "forced" to take those courses. I don't know if they still include these types of classes for the core requirements but I think they should.
            I don't disagree with that all and a certain amount of liberal arts education is no doubt of some value, although a lot of that can be picked up as you go through life. Wish I was more musically inclined. My daughter graduated from WSU with a degree in violin performance and she was quite good although did not like solo performing very much. Initial plans/hopes were to teach at the college level. Those jobs are few and far between. She has a very good job now in the IT industry but had to sell her violin to go back to school in her late 20's to get her IT education. I did learn a hell of a lot about violins though.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
              Not only is that true, but that "final paper" was probably the only requirement for completing the class. It's a well-written paragraph with some decent sentence structure, which leads me to believe it was probably written by a tutor, or possibly copied word for word from a paper submitted the previous semester.

The situation at UNC is actually worse than what's exposed in that article. Athletes at UNC were taking phantom classes that didn't actually exist. The only consequences to this point are tht some professors have been reprimanded for accepting pay for classes they did not teach. The professors have been penalized, but the classes still show on the athlete's transcripts.

The NCAA investigated and found no wrongdoing at UNC. My only guess how that could possibly happen is that the classes were available to all students, not restricted to athletes, so the athletes did not enjoy any benefit not available to any student enrolled at the university.

I don't think that same line of reasoning would be used by the NCAA in investigating a school such as, oh, let's say, Wichita State University.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The NCAA is morally corrupt. I believe that most (51.00% or more) football & basketball "student athlete's" of BCS & BCS wanna-be programs could not qualify if ACT/SAT exams were given on a visible neutral testing site. I understand that this is cynical but it is my honest belief.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I don't disagree with that all and a certain amount of liberal arts education is no doubt of some value, although a lot of that can be picked up as you go through life. Wish I was more musically inclined. My daughter graduated from WSU with a degree in violin performance and she was quite good although did not like solo performing very much. Initial plans/hopes were to teach at the college level. Those jobs are few and far between. She has a very good job now in the IT industry but had to sell her violin to go back to school in her late 20's to get her IT education. I did learn a hell of a lot about violins though.
                  But can you spell Stradivarious?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    But can you spell Stradivarious?
                    No, but my daughter did get to play a "Strad" (that's what us aficionados call them) in Chicago at one of our violin shopping trips. We didn't know it was a Strad until she had finished playing it and had set it back down on the table. At $1.5 million it was just ever so slightly out of our price range.

The interesting thing was that even with my tin ear I could tell that violin had a superior sound.

Comment

Working...
                    X