A reminder why just having football isn't always a positive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reminder why just having football isn't always a positive

KU has the most costly football program in the country in this new Forbes article. http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm4...nsas-jayhawks/
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Not winning tends to greatly skew cost per win numbers.

Comment

We could hire Mangino and he would kick their butt.
      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
      - said no one ever...

Comment

Then JJ could go to the games and yell "Cheesburger".

Comment

The KSU band used to shake food at Mangino
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            The KSU band used to shake food at Mangino
            ...and shakin' bacon at the Octagon

Comment

Having football keeps KU in the Big XII.
              Not having football keeps WSU in the MoVal.

Which would you rather?

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                Having football keeps KU in the Big XII.
                Not having football keeps WSU in the MoVal.

Which would you rather?
                KU has football? I learn something new everyday.

I'm not sure not having football keeps WSU in the MVC. UNI, INS, ILS, MSU, SIU, DU (sort of) have football and they are still in the MVC. Creighton did not have football and they probably have found a better home (time will tell). I've been told by some folks that WSU not having football keeps them out of the MIAA. Football is fun to dream about but careful what you wish for.

I would love to have a successful, high-level, well-supported football at Wichita State. The successful, high-level, well-supported parts make that a high-risk proposition. Hopefully, something will break our way conference affiliation wise. The best thing the Valley could do is for UNI, INS, ILS, MSU and SIU to either drop football or play non-scholarship football ala Drake and put those football resources to work in basketball and other sports where we have a fighting chance.

Comment

KU probably has the most expensive football program b/c they are paying three coaches and two ADs.

Of course when we talk football, we are only talking about Division 1 football.

The question about adding football has never been clear cut in my view. If WSU had a functioning Division 1 program, it would seem more than likely we would be moving to the AAC or Mountain West. But that is no guarantee. Is it worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    KU probably has the most expensive football program b/c they are paying three coaches and two ADs.

Of course when we talk football, we are only talking about Division 1 football.

The question about adding football has never been clear cut in my view. If WSU had a functioning Division 1 program, it would seem more than likely we would be moving to the AAC or Mountain West. But that is no guarantee. Is it worth the risk?
                    I used to be all about getting a football program and when the discussion came up my sensibilities were ruled by emotion rather than intelligence. Now I continue to believe that football is not only an essential component to a high quality of student life but also for the university's long term well being.

HCGM's success and the positive mojo of HCTB it is imperative we ask ABC's question
                    Is it worth the risk?
                    and I don't know. I believe it is but to minimize the risk for a catastrophic undertaking it would take a somewhat long term plan involving a willing conference and a willing President, AD, & big money boosters.

For me, I do not want to jeopardize the success HCGM has built. I fear we are in the proverbial Greek rub of the lack of resource competition with a football program is a large part of how we got here. Yet, it is the lack of a football program that might one day cost us long term continued success. The great WSU AD Jim Schauss left to be 1) near family and 2) to place himself in a program that has football so that he could continue on his career track to manage a successful BCS athletic department.

Honestly, I believe that by 2024 or 2030 the NCAA will cease to exist as we know it, with the BCS schools moving into their own sphere either within the NCAA or within their own new association. When (it is not if) this occurs Wichita State will most certainly be on the outside looking in. What if we have football? We might still be on the outs.

Regardless of what happens, Go Shocks!
                    Last edited by DUShock; January 4, 2014, 09:43 AM. Reason: Typo
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I agree and disagree. The "Group of 64" Football may break away, but schools and programmers are learning consumers are getting to the point where they cant afford to go to games OR watch on TV anymore. When that bubble burst I dont want to be standing there without a nest egg.

Whether they are allowed to move only the FB programs out of the NCAA has been discussed, and that, I think, would end much better for all other sports.

Comment

I'm a big supporter of WSU brining back football, but would rather have a top notch basketball program, baseball program and VB program than have a football program that might drag the other sports down.
                        Football at WSU would require:
                        -- New stadium at 21st / Oliver with 40k seating and possible expansion to 60k
                        -- Mountain West Conference

There is no way, Wichita would support a MoVal type of football program

About the only way to finance all of this would be to vote on a sales tax. I don't see any other alternatives unless Charles Koch wants to donate $100m

We're at a cross-roads with conference affiliation. I'd feel a lot better about WSU's future with no football if the Shox were invited to a Big East. The MoVal makes me a little nervous about our future.

Comment

About the only way to finance all of this would be to vote on a sales tax. I don't see any other alternatives unless Charles Koch wants to donate $100m

I don't think that the tax payers are in any mood to finance this type of project and Charles Koch did not become one of the richest people in the United States doing stupid **** like pouring money into a football hole. The thing to do would be to approach Bill Koch, he hates Charles and loves sticking it to Charles and David whenever he can.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

I'm a big supporter of WSU brining back football, but would rather have a top notch basketball program, baseball program and VB program than have a football program that might drag the other sports down.
                            Football at WSU would require:
                            -- New stadium at 21st / Oliver with 40k seating and possible expansion to 60k
                            -- Mountain West Conference

There is no way, Wichita would support a MoVal type of football program

We're at a cross-roads with conference affiliation. I'd feel a lot better about WSU's future with no football if the Shox were invited to a Big East. The MoVal makes me a little nervous about our future.
                            If you're building a spanking awesome football stadium and your basketball and baseball programs are making national noise every year (along with various other sports), why wouldn't you be targeting the Big-12? It's geographically a perfect fit for them and us. Yes, it may take time to build up a program, but not necessarily -- deep pockets, the right culture, and the right coach can go a long ways. I don't know if we have the right culture.

WSU needs to set its sites on the Big-12. If without football then they need to find an independent that's willing to join for football only to pair up with in order to strike a deal with the Big-12.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              If you're building a spanking awesome football stadium and your basketball and baseball programs are making national noise every year (along with various other sports), why wouldn't you be targeting the Big-12? It's geographically a perfect fit for them and us. Yes, it may take time to build up a program, but not necessarily -- deep pockets, the right culture, and the right coach can go a long ways. I don't know if we have the right culture.

WSU needs to set its sites on the Big-12. If without football then they need to find an independent that's willing to join for football only to pair up with in order to strike a deal with the Big-12.
                              No matter what WSU does, I think the chickenhawks and mildcats would fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening. Even if WSU had a top ten basketball program every season. Even if WSU baseball went to the College World Series every season. Even if WSU built the nicest 80,000 seat football stadium in the country. The chickenhawks and mildcats have a vested intrest in keeping WSU down. It increases their portion of the limited Kansas tax payer funded pie. I don't know how the B12 is setup interms of admitting new members, but if one or two universities can block entry, the chickenhawks and mildcats would. And they'd probably lie, cheat and steal, to get OU and OSU on their side. That way the two of them can continue with their pompous depiction of WSU as the ugly little step-sister that just doesn't belong at the Ball.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                              X