Jack Taylor scores Over 100...AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Taylor scores Over 100...AGAIN

Jack Taylor, a 5-10 sharp-shooter for NCAA Division III Grinnell College, scored 109 points in a 173-123 win over Crossroads Sunday.

He made 24-48 three-pointers and was 15-17 from the free throw line.

Taylor is averaging 90 ppg so far this season.

He set an NCAA record, for any level, last year by scoring 138 points in a game.

173 to 123?

One hundred and seventy three!?!?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      173 to 123?

One hundred and seventy three!?!?
      He could've challenged his record if his teammates had quit ball-hoggin'.

Comment

Go read the Deadspin story about what a gimmick this is.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
          Go read the Deadspin story about what a gimmick this is.
          Looks like this is the link @wu_shizzle: is talking about: http://deadspin.com/5962514/d+iii-pl...14609/@barryap

Interesting.

Comment

It looks like Grinnell College has never won the NCAA Div-III championship, at least not since 1975. They haven't even been runner up. When it's only about individual records and not team play, then that won't happen.

Comment

I guess here's where I probably disagree with a large swath of Shockernetters (and the author of the deadspin article).

1) I LOVE gaming. LOVE it. Chess, Old Maid, Basketball, I don't care. I love games.

2) A big part of the joy of games, to me, is being creative and trying new tactics that exploit rules without crossing the boundary and breaking those rules.

3) I like coaches willing to take what they have and get creative.

4) He has a system he's trying to implement just like anybody else -- and he's forcing other coaches to adapt to his style ... so it's working in that regards.

5) Check this quote out:

When Arseneault Sr. arrived at Grinnell in 1989, the team had not had a winning season in 26 years. His first four years were miserable. His team was losing and players were quitting when they didn’t get playing time.
              So he inherited a crappy Div III team where players would quit because they couldn't play. So he created an extreme system where all his players get to play and they get to chuck up a massive amount of shots. And counter to the article, it's not only one player getting to shoot. Everybody is getting chances. They certainly key on specific players, ala Evansville and Creighton, but others are getting to shoot too.

6) It works: He's had 5 conference titles since 1996. Reference point: WSU has had 2 in that same time frame.

7) It works: He's been to the post season 11 times out of the 20 years he's been coaching this style. Reference point: WSU has been 9 in the same time frame.

However it's not all good ...

1) It doesn't work: At the tournaments the coaching and the competition are too good, I assume, for Grinnell's system to work worth a damn. He's got to figure out how to adjust it for tournament time. Which is probably why they are beginning to focus one or two shooters more often.

Net result is I say screw it, be creative and have fun Coach. If your kids are having fun and you are having success, you may be annoying the crap out of your conference rivals, but hey ... so does HC3GM!

Comment

I guess the new rules are working.

Comment

Mostly what this gimmicky system does is draw national media attention. The coach and his star players are probably responsible for anyone knowing about the school at all, and I think that is more important to any small college than winning basketball games.

That said, I think his system in general is fairly effective. If he focused slightly more on getting efficient shots (ie, take wide open layups instead of constantly throwing the ball to one player), I think they'd be even more successful at their level. Such a system could probably be a good solution for a high school or lower level team that doesn't have the players to compete against a better team.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    Mostly what this gimmicky system does is draw national media attention. The coach and his star players are probably responsible for anyone knowing about the school at all, and I think that is more important to any small college than winning basketball games.

That said, I think his system in general is fairly effective. If he focused slightly more on getting efficient shots (ie, take wide open layups instead of constantly throwing the ball to one player), I think they'd be even more successful at their level. Such a system could probably be a good solution for a high school or lower level team that doesn't have the players to compete against a better team.
                    He'll, I played that way at the Y for years.

Comment

Im not against this system as it seems to give them a reasonable level of success, but this article doesnt look to fondly upon how the coach makes it happen.

Comment

The guy has books and videos to sell. Gotta get some pub!

Comment

This thing makes absolute sense, in Iowa. Iowa is a great and interesting state. When I was in agrimarketing, I loved traveling the Iowa byways, more so than Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota or the Dakotas. Much of rural Iowa is surprisingly beautiful and the people are mostly friendly, engaging, welcoming and funny.

There is the other aide of Iowa, though, the sideshow side. Iowan's live gimickry. The pink locker rooms in Iowa City are a really subtle example. The tree houses near Marshalltown are an example as well. Iowa is the home of several travelling midways. The bigger the gimmick, the better. Most of the carnivals have been sold and moved to different states, but I think two or three of those companies still exist in Iowa. Much of the former carnival businesses have been absorbed by giants outside of Iowa such as Murphy Brothers.

That said, Iowa has a very gimmicky, carnival side to it. In fact, a few decades ago, a guy in Des Moines wanted to build the tallest building in the world in the heart of Des Moines. With that side of Iowa, it is no surprise that a school would strive to hold gimmicky, made up records. They wouldn't understand the shame in doing this against outclassed opponents. The same holds for the people that don't understand that there is no insult intended, just a gimmick.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I want marshall to schedule these clowns. Just have Tekele hang with Jack.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                              I want marshall to schedule these clowns. Just have Tekele hang with Jack.
                              I know you're kidding, but I'd like to see it.

Shockers vs Grinnell, 2014?

I say we fight fire with fire and use Baker as the pivot man in that circle jerk of a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X