Saint Louis runs off Jared Drew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Louis runs off Jared Drew

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84647/st-louis-runs-off-jared-drew

H
    ad the interest of the Shockers at one point:
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

It is possible we will see a similar story out of Wichita State this summer although 3G has been pretty resourceful in dealing with players in excess of scholarship availability.

Comment

Do you think that most student athletes think that once they have a scholarship they are set for four years (or five if a redshirt year is involved)? Even though all student athletes are TOLD a scholarship is renewable each year, do you REALLY think they believe that? It has to be hard on a student athlete to feel they are set for the duration of their college years only to all of a sudden have to find a new basketball home. I agree that a coaching staff has the right to not renew a scholarship. That being said there should be some consideration given the student athlete. It's one thing if the scholarship is not being renewed because of misconduct by the player or some type of serious rule infraction, but what about if the reason is simply because in the judgment of the coaching staff the talents of the player didn't measure up to what they thought or if the player really just didn't fit into the type of system that team runs? In the event a student athlete is asked to leave for some reason other than a serious rule infraction or blatant misconduct, I don't think a scholarship should be pulled unless the coaching staff has multiple options lined up for that student to choose from where he can get a new scholarship. I also think the NCAA needs to change the rule about an athlete having to sit out a year in order to play for the new school if he is being asked to leave his old school through no real fault of his (other than his playing talent or style). If a student decides to leave on his own accord, that's different. There needs to be some penalty for athletes moving from one school to another or you would have them jumping all over and a coach couldn't have any real consistency in their team. If a coach decides he no longer wants or needs a particular athlete on his team, why should the student be punished because a coach changes his mind. I know there are arguments on both sides of this question, and I am anxious to hear what some of them are.

Comment

OTOH, in many cases and perhaps the majoriy of cases these moves prove to work out for the benefit of the athlete. Jake White being a case in point. Jake should do very well at UNO.

Comment

I don't think the athletes expect a guaranteed 4 years. The article attempts point out the wide disparity in the equity of the relationship. The athetes aren't guaranteed 4 years, but they are committed for 4 years if the coach exercises his option to keep them. If they leave on their own, they have to sit out, but a coach with a multi-year contract that is supposed to commit him can and frequently does walk away at any time. Coach makes millions, players (legally) can't afford to buy a pizza. Coach is a professional, player is an amateur and must stay that way to protect the "integrity" of the game.

There has to be a better and more equitable solution. It doesn't have to be such an extreme difference.

Comment

There is a disparity of power in these agreements but he only presented one side of the pancake. The pancake does have two sides.

Comment

And to add to the conversation:

Vanderbilt coach blocking transfer to Pitt
              Sheldon Jeter was promising last season. The Vanderbilt freshman averaged 17.5 minutes and 5.5 points per game for the Commodores in 2012-13, the kind of performance that positioned him as a fulcrum of Vanderbilt's arduous post-John Jenkins/Jeffrey Taylor/Festus Ezeli rebuilding effort.

If only things were so simple. On Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ray Fittipaldo reported, according to multiple sources, that coach Kevin Stallings was blocking Jeter's transfer to Pittsburgh, which is a 20-minute drive from Beaver Falls, Jeter's hometown. That leaves Jeter and his family to appeal Stallings' decision to Vanderbilt's athletics department brass. If that appeal fails, Jeter will be forced to either find another school or pay Pittsburgh tuition for a season before he can become eligible for a scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                There is a disparity of power in these agreements but he only presented one side of the pancake. The pancake does have two sides.
                The real key here is that the player in such a situation shouldn't have to sit out. If he leaves on his own, then yes. But if he's told he's being let go, he should no more have to sit than does a player whose coach decides to leave or is let go. That particular pancake really does have only one side (a Mobius pancake, for you topography fans)?

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  The real key here is that the player in such a situation shouldn't have to sit out. If he leaves on his own, then yes. But if he's told he's being let go, he should no more have to sit than does a player whose coach decides to leave or is let go. That particular pancake really does have only one side (a Mobius pancake, for you topography fans)?
                  I mostly agree, but you'll have Jake White-like situations (the scholarship limit issue aside) where a coach will say the player's scholarship is not being renewed, when the reality is the player wants more PT somewhere else. I don't know how high the potential for that possibility is, but you know it will get used in some cases. But maybe that's an acceptable risk.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    It is possible we will see a similar story out of Wichita State this summer although 3G has been pretty resourceful in dealing with players in excess of scholarship availability.
                    To be fair, I don't think we'll have a situation exactly like this at any point. Jake White is a case in point -- while it's likely a similar situation in that White "wasn't the right fit" and wasn't going to have his scholarship renewed, I think it was handled in a far more professional manner, and at least was portrayed to be White's decision. Marshall's staff also seemed to help White find a school to transfer to.

In this situation, Crews simply blindsided the player with a phone call that basically told him to pack his bags and handle his own business.

I agree with the complete injustice of the system, and I hate it, and dislike that we have to do it as well to continue to improve. But at least we have a coach that will handle it in a respectful and classy manner, unlike this situation. I hope to not ever see a story exactly like this coming out of WSU.
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                    X