Lobos beat writer quits due to teams performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobos beat writer quits due to teams performance

Dennis Latta is the editor of Loboland.com, a site in the Rivals.com network that is dedicated to covering University of New Mexico athletics. He has been covering the men's basketball team for 33 years. Somehow, during all that time, he never learned how to handle his favorite team losing like a grownup.
    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

And just in case you didn't click these, they're worth a look.

Effen Harvard

The Band

Comment

I am just glad HCGM had the good sense to not talk to UCLA or USC. Whether he would have seriously considered it after the tourney, I don't now but from what I have heard from him (general philosophy), this article proves how smart he is and how lucky we are.

From the hire point, the descent can be sudden for L.A. coaches

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-20130505,0,6408485.column

If you want to coach a major sports program in Los Angeles these days, lose your sense of pride, find your sense of humor and prepare to spend every waking hour apologizing for not being Phil Jackson.

and just to get back on topic... thank God for Mike Kennedy..
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

+1 for Mike! The whole run I was most happy for him. Speaking of which, I just found out they may be tearing down his (and mine) HS? Any truth to this rumor that Southeast maybe re-opening somewhere further South?
        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Originally posted by LandStander View Post
          +1 for Mike! The whole run I was most happy for him. Speaking of which, I just found out they may be tearing down his (and mine) HS? Any truth to this rumor that Southeast maybe re-opening somewhere further South?
          Yes.
          http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/14/v-print/2759317/eagle-editorial-be-heard-on-southeast.html

Y
          ou can find additional articles on kansas.com by doing a search on southeast
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

thanks!
            I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
            If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Perhaps it is not totally surprising that the Shockers are having such good overall success in their athletic programs.
              I count 6 coaches who are probably 1st ballot Shocker Hall of Famers amoung our current Shocker coaches:

1. Gene Stephenson (36 years) - even though the Shocker head man is under pressure to retire there is absolutely no denying his contributions as the architect of the Shocker baseball program.

2. Brent Kemnitz (35 years) - does Gene accomplish what he has without Brent. Maybe, maybe not, but there is no denying Brent has been a huge factor in the success of Shocker Baseball.

3. Grier Jones (17 years) - already a member of the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame. His teams have won 12 of the last 15 Valley championships, 10 times Valley Coach of the Year, 10 NCAA Regional appearances and 2 NCAA Championship appearances (with this year's team a strong candidate to make it 3).

4. Steve Rainbolt (14 years) - he has been named the Missouri Valley Conference’s men's and women's Indoor and/or Outdoor Coach of the Year 15 times. Entering the 2013 season, his program has produced 26 All-Americans, 73 NCAA national qualifiers and 173 individual MVC champions during his time at Wichita State. Coach Bolt coaches far and way the most local area and Kansas athletes of any Shocker program and his teams have been a key factor in the Shocker's success winning more All Sports Trophies than any other Valley school.

5. Chris Lamb (13 Years) - Most Shocker fans, including myself, didn't even realize the Shockers had a VB program when Chris Lamb arrived 13 years ago. Today it is a team perenially ranked in the top 10 of in attendance nationally. Considered perhaps the mad scientist of the coaching staff Lambo clearly loves the minutae of his sport and likes thinking outside the box. 10 consecutive 20 wins seasons under his belt now. 7 NCAA Tournament appearnces including this year's Sweet 16 run. 4 time Valley COY. Lead the Shocks to a 29-0 regular season record in 2008, the only Shocker team to go undefeated in through a regular season.

6. Gregg Marshall (7 Years) - After taking over a tough situation from Mark Turgeon his teams seem to get a little better every year. The highlights being the 2011 NIT Championship and the unbievable 2013 Final Four run, with perhaps the beat yeat to come.

Off to good starts but still working on the HOF resume's:

Jody Adams - Women's Basketball (5 years) - currently the winningest WBB coach in terms of winning % in Shocker history leading the Lady Shocks to their Valley regular season and tournament championships and their first ever NCAA Tournament appearance this year.

Brad Louderback - Men's Tennis (7 years) - his team won their 2nd Valley Tournament title this year upsetting 27th ranked Drake and will move on to play in their 2nd NCAA Tournament

Colin Foster - Women's Tennis (4 years) - ADES' first coaching hire has worked out well. Coach Foster inherited a successful program but he hasn't let it slide one iota. 4 years, 4 MVC regular season and 4 MVC Tournament championships and 4 NCAA appearancs. I don't believe the Shockers have lost an MVC match during Coach Foster's 4 years.

Tom McCurdy - Women's Golf (6 years) - Coach McCurdy is gradually improving he Shocker women's golf program. They finished 9th in the Valley in his 1st year. In his 4th year they finishes 2nd for their best finish since 1992. This year, after being in picked 5th, they finished 2nd for the 2nd time in three years despite dealing with injuries to key players.

Kirk Hunter - Cross Country (4 years) - Coach Hunter, who also coaches the Shocker track teams long distance squad, is off to a good start and has continued a very successful women's CC team. With runners like Tonya Nero and Aliphine Tuiliamuk-Bolton in the fold that is understandable. Cross Country is somewhat of a subset of the track and field team so I don't know how Coach Hunter will be viewd down the line, but I know Coach Bolt is glad to have him running the CC teams and coaching the track teams long-distance runners.

Just gettting started - time will tell:

Kristy Bredbenner - Shocker softball (2 years) - Coach Bredbenner inherited a tough situation and her teams have struggled in her 1st two years although they did show improvement this year vs last year. Softball has been a tough nut historically for the Shockers with only so-so success on the softball field outside of Tim Walton's 123-64 record from 2003-2005 after which he has continue to flourish at Florida. Jim Maynard, by far the longest tenured Shocker SB coach was 313-328-1 in 11 seasons. Time will tell if Coach B can turn things around by the key in fast-pitch softball, as with baseball is pitching, pitching and pitching.

All-in-all though some pretty impressive stability and results for the Shocker head coaches.

Comment

I know it isn't an official NCAA sport, 1972, but you forgot the one with the most distinguished record of all, Gordon Vadakin, who is to Shocker bowling pretty much what Gene Stephenson is to baseball, only with a lot more championships to show for it (as well as a noteworthy career as an amateur competitor in his own right).

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  I know it isn't an official NCAA sport, 1972, but you forgot the one with the most distinguished record of all, Gordon Vadakin, who is to Shocker bowling pretty much what Gene Stephenson is to baseball, only with a lot more championships to show for it (as well as a noteworthy career as an amateur competitor in his own right).
                  If you mean from a length of service/success and taking the program to greater heights, yes. Building the program from scratch, no. I was part of the team and bowled with Paul Waliczek before he took over the program. Gordon took over in 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                    Yes.
                    http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/14/v-print/2759317/eagle-editorial-be-heard-on-southeast.html

Y
                    ou can find additional articles on kansas.com by doing a search on southeast
                    Add'l info on SE: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/21/277...-renovate.html

Sorry to the SE alumns, but that school looks like a dump. It certainly did not stand the test of time like East of North. There is nothing attractive about that school.

Comment

Working...
                    X