UMKC fires coach Matt Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC fires coach Matt Brown

Missouri-Kansas City has fired basketball coach Matt Brown after six seasons and with the program poised to leave the Summit League for the Western Athletic Conference.

Speculation on 810whb this morning indicated that Kareem Richardson a former assistant at UMKC, Drake, Indiana State and now Louisville is in line for the job. Supposed to be an excellent recruiter.

Richardson has been ranked as one of the top assistants in college basketball according to the basketball website Collegeinsider.com. He earned a reputation as a top-level recruiter during his time at Drake, serving as recruiting coordinator and helping head coach Mark Phelps secure the top-rated recruited class in the Missouri Valley Conference in two out his three years there. In his first year as assistant coach at Drake, Richardson helped lead the Bulldogs to post-season play during the 2008-09 season, in the inaugural CollegeInsider.com Tournament.

Prior to Drake, Richardson was the top assistant with the UMKC men's basketball program for the 2007-08 season. Richardson served as an assistant coach at his alma mater Evansville from 2003-07, one season (2002-03) at Wright State, as well as a stint at Indiana State (1999-2002). Richardson's coaching career began at the University of Indianapolis from 1997-99.
    Richardson helped Indiana State enjoy some tremendous success. In 2000, he helped the Sycamores reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the Larry Bird era in the late 1970s. A year later in 2001, Indiana State topped No. 4 seed Oklahoma to advance to the second round of the NCAAs.
    Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Hey, I will start it. I'm not worried.

Oh wait, isn't that why you posted the news?

Seriously, if this wasn't such an armpit of a program I would be worried about losing Coach Jans. But that is a graveyard for coaches.

Comment

Never should have fired Coach Z
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Seriously, if this wasn't such an armpit of a program I would be worried about losing Coach Jans. But that is a graveyard for coaches.
        Four years ago Coach Jans would have loved that chance...now?

No chance.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Actually no. Had no idea that Coach Jans or any other WSU assistant would have an interest in that job. Simply a post about a team in the area that we used to play that is reported to be hiring a coach that is supposed to be a very good recruiter. Will be interesting to see if he can attract talent to UMKC. That is all....

Comment

Maybe this guy should have waited for the Drake job.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Rumor is that its Anthony Peelers if he wants it
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                There's a name I haven't heard in a long time
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                  That's quite a gamble. He's D2 asst. with little coaching experience, let alone HC experience.

Hey, no risk no reward.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Why not Steve Eck...been there and enjoyed it supposedly. I wonder if Kim Anderson at Central Missouri wants back in the DI game.

Comment

Richardson got it..

Richardson has agreed to a five-year deal that will pay him $250,000 a year. The 38-year-old coach was an assistant at UMKC from 2007-08, and has also been an assistant at Xavier, Drake, Indiana State, Wright State and his alma mater, Evansville.

Comment

Working...
                      X