Scholarship Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship Changes

34 full scholarships for baseball is a big deal.

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

34 full scholarships for baseball is a big deal.
    It's a bigger deal for the bigger, wealthier schools too.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I am trying to wrap my brain around this particular statement.

"Another key change to the scholarship structure: All sports will be considered 'equivalency sports,' meaning partial scholarships can be distributed to players. Football, basketball and other sports are currently considered “head-count sports,” which require players on scholarship to receive a full grant."

Are there any unintended consequences to this? I suppose that if you are power conference team and have the money to give a full scholarship, I suppose you would. But this also removes the requirement to do so. You can give partial scholarships to back-end roster spots, which can be a good and bad thing.

Someone help me think this one out.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It's a bigger deal for the bigger, wealthier schools too.
        I'm not sure I agree. SEC teams aren't winning because they can give 34 guys scholarships. They are winning because they can give 12 guys $300k. Fixing the baseball scholarship issue would've helped 30 years ago. Now it's a moot point unless/until they fix the portal and NIL.

Comment

But those teams can now pay for more people that smaller schools can't, and they will keep some of that talent away from the smaller schools because of it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Will this trickle down to cross country and track and field? More of a personal question as I have high schoolers in these two sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              I am trying to wrap my brain around this particular statement.

"Another key change to the scholarship structure: All sports will be considered 'equivalency sports,' meaning partial scholarships can be distributed to players. Football, basketball and other sports are currently considered “head-count sports,” which require players on scholarship to receive a full grant."

Are there any unintended consequences to this? I suppose that if you are power conference team and have the money to give a full scholarship, I suppose you would. But this also removes the requirement to do so. You can give partial scholarships to back-end roster spots, which can be a good and bad thing.

Someone help me think this one out.
              It's interesting for sure. Seems like P5 schools will be able to hoard more quality players that will end up sitting the bench and getting pissed as the season progresses. So ... it will keep the transfer portal jumping with quality players that don't have any stats from the year prior.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Did we have 25 on the roster for softball? I count 22, but that doesnt include redshirts. Not sure how good or bad this will be for softball. Go get em KB!
                Go Shocks!

Comment

If the Shockers fully fund all the extra scholarship across their full array of sports (excluding bowling which isn't listed on this list) is 143.7. Women's soccer and Men's soccer, if fully funded, would add 28 scholarships each.

Assuming a 50-50 mix of Resident and Non-resident Tuition the average cost of attendance per Wichita State is around $35,000 per year. So fully funding the existing sports adds about $5 million to Wichita State's annual funding needs. Adding Women's soccer would add another $980,000 per year.

This is going to be a really, really big challenge. I think the Shockers will have to be selective on which sports they fully fund. Do you really need 15 scholarship players for men's and women's basketball. I think you could get by with 12. Do you need to fully fund men's and women's golf. Not really. And then I suppose you still have to contend with Title IX issues. At Wichita State increases in men's scholarships (if fully funded) account for 81.7 new scholarships while women's sports account for 62 of the new scholarships.​

Comment

One thing you never hear about is the endowed scholarships within the athletic department. I know of at least two Shocker supporters that when they passed they endowed an athletic scholarship. Just curious to know how many of those exist in totality.

Comment

Working...
                    X