Effect Of Gambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effect Of Gambling

Prop bets, which NCAA president Charlie Baker wants to ban, are just the start of problems for players thanks to the rise of legal gambling.

So a guy who stuck it out with an injury to be an end of the bench guy for Purdue gets in, hits a 3 pointer late in a blowout, and gets messages like this because he took his team over the 27 point spread:
    -----------

Back in the locker room, Barrett picked up his phone and scrolled through the congratulatory texts from friends and started to search through his DMs on social media.

He stumbled on this:

You sure are a son of a b—.
    Hope you enjoy selling cars for the rest of your life.

Followed by:

I hope you f-ing die.

And then the kicker:

Kill yourself for taking that 3 you f-ing worthless loser. Slit your f-ing throat you f-ing f– that was completely uncalled for. I hope you f-ing kill yourself.

​----------

For those addicted to the gambling part, the players aren't human anymore, they are just circus monkeys for their gambling entertainment. I overheard somewhere recently someone say they aren't sure if they would watch sports if it weren't for the betting. I'm kind of glad I haven't gotten into it, despite the fact I rather enjoy all the stats and metrics and such. I would hate for my love of my teams and certain sports to be jaded by losing a bet over a single player's performance.

But it seems certain things become "must have" items for whatever reason. I guess that is human nature, but when those "must haves" start affecting others, well, yikes.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
    https://theathletic.com/5384328/2024...itutes-spread/

So a guy who stuck it out with an injury to be an end of the bench guy for Purdue gets in, hits a 3 pointer late in a blowout, and gets messages like this because he took his team over the 27 point spread:
    -----------

Back in the locker room, Barrett picked up his phone and scrolled through the congratulatory texts from friends and started to search through his DMs on social media.

He stumbled on this:

You sure are a son of a b—.
    Hope you enjoy selling cars for the rest of your life.

Followed by:

I hope you f-ing die.

And then the kicker:

Kill yourself for taking that 3 you f-ing worthless loser. Slit your f-ing throat you f-ing f– that was completely uncalled for. I hope you f-ing kill yourself.

​----------

For those addicted to the gambling part, the players aren't human anymore, they are just circus monkeys for their gambling entertainment. I overheard somewhere recently someone say they aren't sure if they would watch sports if it weren't for the betting. I'm kind of glad I haven't gotten into it, despite the fact I rather enjoy all the stats and metrics and such. I would hate for my love of my teams and certain sports to be jaded by losing a bet over a single player's performance.

But it seems certain things become "must have" items for whatever reason. I guess that is human nature, but when those "must haves" start affecting others, well, yikes.
    Gambling makes games I wouldn't normally care about more interesting. I'd watch my teams regardless, but outside of my teams I don't generally care to watch other games. It's kind of the same with fantasy sports for me. If I didn't play fantasy football with friends, I probably wouldn't ever watch another NFL game outside of the Chiefs.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Gambling makes games I wouldn't normally care about more interesting. I'd watch my teams regardless, but outside of my teams I don't generally care to watch other games. It's kind of the same with fantasy sports for me. If I didn't play fantasy football with friends, I probably wouldn't ever watch another NFL game outside of the Chiefs.
      Oh I get that part, but I'm also guessing you don't go threaten players online who have caused you losses, either. But we all know people who take things they are involved in WAY overboard.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Oh I get that part, but I'm also guessing you don't go threaten players online who have caused you losses, either.
        Only when I get really board and have nothing better to do.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Honestly not judging at all, but maybe the goal shouldn't be finding reasons to want to observe sporting events you otherwise wouldn't watch.

And trust me, I'm the king of watching random sports, but there's a big wonderful world out there a lot more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Honestly not judging at all, but maybe the goal shouldn't be finding reasons to want to observe sporting events you otherwise wouldn't watch.

And trust me, I'm the king of watching random sports, but there's a big wonderful world out there a lot more fun.
            Social anxiety is a *****.

It's a ***** I'm working on. But I still have plenty of free time to use for other things when not watching the occasional game I would not normally care about. Also, I don't gamble all that much. I can go months without doing it. I mostly do it when I'm going to be around friends and other games are going to be on. I might do random games from time to time on my own, but I'm not someone that has to lay down bets every day or week.

I also try to take an extended trip every year, though I generally avoid places with lots of people. I go and explore nature. My last trip involved driving up to Wisconsin and exploring it as well as NE MN and the UP. Prior to that I spent a week in SW CO, mostly to see the Pueblo Cliff Dwellings and other Native American spots in the Four Corners region. If my finances settle back down I'll plan another 7-10 day trip this fall. I've thought about exploring the Carolinas a bit. Maybe go down to the Gulf Coast area of AL or MS. I want to get in better shape before I go up to WA to visit a cousin who enjoys trekking mountains up there, but there should be some beautiful hikes in the WA/ID region.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Social anxiety is a *****.

It's a ***** I'm working on. But I still have plenty of free time to use for other things when not watching the occasional game I would not normally care about. Also, I don't gamble all that much. I can go months without doing it. I mostly do it when I'm going to be around friends and other games are going to be on. I might do random games from time to time on my own, but I'm not someone that has to lay down bets every day or week.

I also try to take an extended trip every year, though I generally avoid places with lots of people. I go and explore nature. My last trip involved driving up to Wisconsin and exploring it as well as NE MN and the UP. Prior to that I spent a week in SW CO, mostly to see the Pueblo Cliff Dwellings and other Native American spots in the Four Corners region. If my finances settle back down I'll plan another 7-10 day trip this fall. I've thought about exploring the Carolinas a bit. Maybe go down to the Gulf Coast area of AL or MS. I want to get in better shape before I go up to WA to visit a cousin who enjoys trekking mountains up there, but there should be some beautiful hikes in the WA/ID region.
              Maybe try some of the Appalachian trail

Comment

So how does a random gambler have the phone number of just some random end-of-the-bench guy?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  So how does a random gambler have the phone number of just some random end-of-the-bench guy?
                  The gambler was sending the player direct messages via social media. No phone number needed.

Comment

The gambler was sending the player direct messages via social media. No phone number needed.
                    That is easy to stop

Comment

Working...
                    X