Racism in Bloomington-Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racism in Bloomington-Normal?

ESPN - Illinois State investigating claim fan used racial slur against Norfolk State player

Illinois State is investigating claims that one or more of its fans used a racial slur against a Norfolk State player in the latter's 64-58 win over the Redbirds on Saturday, per a statement released Sunday.

"The men's basketball game on Saturday between Illinois State and Norfolk State was regrettably marred by the report of a racial slur directed at a Norfolk State player by an Illinois State fan," ISU's statement read. "The use of racial slurs and other offensive language targeting people for their identity is abhorrent and is not tolerated by Illinois State University. Among Illinois State's core values are respect for others, diversity, and inclusion.

"Illinois State has moved swiftly to investigate the report and will respond appropriately. Illinois State University and Redbird Athletics extend sincere apologies to Norfolk State University, its student-athletes, and its athletics staff for the deep upset caused, and university leaders have personally reached out to colleagues at Norfolk State."

After Saturday's game, Norfolk State coach Robert Jones tweeted that one of his players had been called a slur by Illinois State fans during the game, which was the Spartans' third consecutive victory after previous wins over William & Mary and VCU.

"I'm not letting anybody call my players a racial slur," Jones said in his tweet. "Those are my kids and I will fight for them. We have come too far in society to be called the N word at [a] college basketball game."

Per a video of the aftermath of the alleged verbal attack, Jones walked onto the court before he was stopped by his players with his team ahead 46-40 in the second half. The broadcast crew said Norfolk State's Jamarii Thomas had an interaction with fans during a dead ball situation.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

That was an unfortunate exchange. I couldn't tell what was said or not said. Thomas is a feisty guy and I can see him getting under the skin of fans, but that's no excuse to drop slurs. I don't know what happened in NSU first 2 games in that tournament, but they showed ability vs FGCU and I thought they were a tough out here. No surprise to me they've won 3 straight since then. They'll win a bunch of games in their conference.

Comment

Obviously none of us have any way of knowing what was or was not said, but to be falsely accused of something like this is a big fear of mine.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        Obviously none of us have any way of knowing what was or was not said, but to be falsely accused of something like this is a big fear of mine.
        Maybe you need to hire this guy ...

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If this indeed was a racial slur, lifetime ban for fan if provable. If not, and provable, player who alleges it deserves consequences. However it won’t be that easy.

Comment

Working...
          X