Non US Universities to join NCAA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non US Universities to join NCAA?

It looks like we're on the road to seeing that happen as one has already been accepted, mostly, and there's interest from others. NCAA close to adding 1st foreign school
    INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA is close to adding its first international member, with a single step remaining before Simon Fraser joins the ranks of Division II.

The Division II Membership Committee has conditionally approved Simon Fraser, located in Burnaby, British Columbia, as a Division II active member. The NCAA's executive committee is expected to consider the move Aug. 1
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

A little more info from NCAA.org
    In addition to the action regarding Simon Fraser, the Division II Membership Committee also took a preliminary step to consider membership applications from Mexican institutions. Two Mexican schools, the University of Nuevo Leon and Monterrey Tech, have expressed membership interest.

The arrangement to accept applications from Mexican institutions would have to be approved through a three-step process. First, the Division II Presidents Council would need to authorize expansion of the international-member pilot program (the same one that permitted Simon Fraser to become a member) to Mexican institutions from a Division II perspective by sponsoring a proposal to amend the constitution. The pilot currently applies only to Canadian schools.
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Is it hypocritical of me to think its alright for Canadian universities to join the NCAA but not necessarily the same for Mexican universities?
      It seems like due to both political and cultural differences/similarities between our neighbors that Canada would be a much easier transition.

Comment

I completely get what you're saying. We, as a country/society, have a lot more in common with Canada than Mexico and the transitions would be easier. I do think we're more likely to see Canadian universities accepted quicker because of that. But I have no doubt that we'll see a few Mexican U's in at some point. I believe that there are six more Canadian schools in the process or near the process as well.

I'm not sure what the process is for a foreign school to get accredited.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

According to this thread over at CSN, DII is currently the only level outside of NAIA that allows foreign schools. Simon Frasier, who is the school that has requested DII membership played NAIA for a number of years. However, I think it's only a matter of time before DI may open up the possibilities, especially if some of Canada's larger schools express interest. I'm guessing they'd still have to enter at the DII level and spend the required 5 years there before moving up by invite only. It sounds like if this does happen down the road, that the PAC12 may guarantee an invite to a couple of the Western Canada schools and the BE may be interested in a few as well.

On the flip side, there may be some sort of agreement between the NCAA and the CIS about not doing this. But if that were the case, I don't see why DII is an option now. But this could be interesting to follow over the next few years to see if it spreads or if DI may become a possibility.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I know nothing, but it might be something that benefits hockey a lot. It seems like the best of Canada probably try to play the other sports in the US but hockey schools in the US might benefit a lot from it. Again, I really don't know anything at all...just thinking out loud

Comment

Heck, aren't the Oklahoma teams NCAA?
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

Working...
              X