Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Vitale Health Issues

ESPN - ESPN analyst Dick Vitale says he has vocal cord cancer

Longtime ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale said Wednesday that he has vocal cord cancer and will need six weeks of radiation to treat it.

"I plan to fight like hell to be ready to call games when the college hoops season tips off in the Fall," Vitale wrote in a statement posted on Twitter.

The 84-year-old Hall of Famer said last month his "past issues on my vocal cords have returned" and that he would be on "on total voice rest for 6-8 weeks" while recovering from a July 11 procedure.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

ESPN - ESPN's Dick Vitale says vocal cord cancer 'is gone,' but delays return

Hall of Famer Dick Vitale said his vocal cord cancer "is gone" but he needs more time for voice healing and is not yet ready to return to his longtime position as an ESPN college basketball analyst, it was announced Monday.

"While I'm disappointed with the latest developments, I remain hopeful," Vitale, 84, said in a statement. "The cancer is gone, which is amazing news, yet the impact of the treatments has taken its toll on my voice and requires more healing."

Vitale, who was diagnosed with cancer in July and underwent radiation treatments, was ordered to rest his voice for months and had hoped to return at the end of November. However, Dr. Steven Zeitels, director of the MGH Center for Laryngeal Surgery and Voice Rehabilitation Center, recommended that Vitale rest his vocal cords further.

No specific date for his return has been set.
    Love him or hate him, he's an icon of college basketball and his time is probably running out simply due to his age. I hope we see him back though and he gets the recognition he deserves when he does so.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I will always remember Mr. Vitale pausing from his book signing at WSU to thank me (Shockernet) when I presented him a check on behalf of BostonWu & his family. A check that was funded through the good people of this fine forum. It was a humbling moment that I hope to never forget.

And it's something we should do more often.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I will always remember Mr. Vitale pausing from his book signing at WSU to thank me (Shockernet) when I presented him a check on behalf of BostonWu & his family. A check that was funded through the good people of this fine forum. It was a humbling moment that I hope to never forget.

And it's something we should do more often.
        Honestly, the kindest gesture that I've been the recipient of in my half century on this earth. And that's not hyperbole. I will never forget that. Will always be appreciative of our leader the Good Doc and the entirety of this generous SN community.

Comment

Working...
        X