More Conference Movement Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPN - Ruling grants Oregon State, Washington State full control of Pac-12

A state judge in Washington granted Oregon State and Washington State sole control of the Pac-12 board of directors on Tuesday, issuing the ruling at a preliminary injunction hearing in Whitman County Court.

Judge Gary Libey granted a stay of the decision until Monday -- at no objection from OSU and WSU -- as the 10 schools leaving the Pac-12 following the 2023-24 school year initiate the appeals process.

The decision comes roughly two months after Libey granted a temporary restraining order at the request of OSU and WSU that prevented Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff from calling any Pac-12 board meetings.

"I grew up where conduct spoke louder than words. That's how my parents treated me, and that's how I treated my children when they were growing up," Libey said before issuing his decision. "With that in mind, this court finds in favor that the plaintiffs are likely to prevail on their interpretation of the bylaws."

In a small Whitman County courthouse, roughly 15 miles from WSU's campus in Pullman, Libey heard arguments from three parties: OSU/WSU, the Pac-12 and the University of Washington, which entered the case as an intervenor, working on behalf of the nine other departing schools (Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC and Utah).

Over the course of about 2½ hours, all three parties argued for different outcomes.

OSU and WSU argued -- as they have done for weeks in written briefs -- that conference bylaws were clear that when schools announced they were joining other conferences, they immediately surrendered their seat on the conference board. That, they argued, was how it worked when UCLA and USC announced they were joining the Big Ten and, again, when Colorado announced it was leaving for the Big 12.

It was not only until the other seven announced they also were leaving, OSU and WSU argued, that those schools' interpretation of the bylaws changed and claimed that all 12 deserved a seat on the board.
    I know this isn't final, but it really makes sense. This is pretty much how every conference operates to the best of my knowledge and how the PAC has operated when the first few left. WSU/OSU are correct in asserting that these schools agreed with them up until they decided to leave the conference as well, and now that want it to be interpreted differently. I'm not sure how the departing schools can win upon appeal.

Beyond this, it will be interesting to see how the remaining PAC-2 plan to move forward and who they might try to reach out to in order to keep the PAC name. Will they take the money and then dissolve? Will they invite some MWC/AAC schools to join them? I don't think any AAC schools would jump, unless maybe the PAC lands a handful of the top MWC schools, but even then, it could still be a risky proposition unless the PAC somehow lands a TV deal that they struggled to get when they were at full force.

Selfishly, I hope the PAC pulls in some of the western most MWC schools and that maybe the AAC could add some of the eastern schools. Not really a fan of going over 16, but it could potentially be necessary. There would be worse things than taking the four front range schools, though Utah State would also be an attractive target.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

ESPN - Delaware set to join C-USA as part of FBS move, sources say

Conference USA is expected to add Delaware as a new member for the 2025-26 season, sources told ESPN on Monday.

The sides have been in talks and a decision is expected to be formalized in the coming days, sources said. Delaware will become the conference's 11th member in football when it begins league play in 2025.

The move for Delaware is part of its path up to the Football Bowl Subdivision, as it currently plays in the Coastal Athletic Association in the FCS against the likes of Villanova, Richmond and Elon. The Blue Hens will be joining a league that includes Liberty, Sam Houston State and New Mexico State.

Delaware is expected to begin a two-year transition to the FBS in 2024. If Delaware plays the 2024 football season in the CAA, it would not be eligible for the FCS playoffs.

As for basketball, Delaware would be eligible for the postseason in both 2023-24 and 2024-25 after a recent bylaw change in the CAA.
      Delaware has been one of those schools that some have wondered about making a move to FBS.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Delaware has officially been accepted into CUSA

"Adding the University of Delaware is a tremendous opportunity for Conference USA as we strategically position ourselves for continued success," commissioner Judy MacLeod said in a statement. "We are excited to add the state's flagship university with its rich history in athletics and academics."
        "The opportunity to join Conference USA is a very proud moment for our entire university," athletic director Chrissi Rawak said in a statement. "With this step forward, we will continue to offer an incredible student-athlete experience and elevate the visibility of all that is remarkable about UD."
        "We are confident that we have the infrastructure in place at UD to compete with the very best in college football and simultaneously witness the growth of our other intercollegiate programs in the department," Rawak said. "UD Athletics continues to ascend, and Blue Hen football is prepared to take the next step and lead the way."
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

So the sealed manilla envelope was lost in the mail, didn't make it to Springfield, and ended up in Newark? No wonder nobody uses the post office anymore!
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

ESPN - Oregon State, Washington State near agreement to join West Coast Conference as affiliate members, sources say

Oregon State and Washington State are nearing an agreement to join the West Coast Conference as affiliate members next year in multiple sports, most notably men's and women's basketball, sources told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.

It is an agreement similar to the one the schools reached with the Mountain West to play six football games against MW teams next year but with a major difference. While the Beavers' and Cougars' games against MW schools in football will not count toward the conference standings, there is an expectation their games will count toward the standings for other sports in the WCC. They are also expected to be eligible to participate in conference tournaments and eligible to represent the WCC in NCAA championship events.

The deal has not been finalized, but university presidents from the WCC schools are expected to meet by Thursday to consider it, according to multiple reports. The agreement would come on the heels of the Washington state Supreme Court's decision last week not to review a lower's court ruling that granted control of the Pac-12 board of directors to OSU and WSU.

OSU and WSU intend to rebuild the Pac-12 and will keep the conference's branding on their football fields next season despite operating as a two-team conference.

For a conference to exist, the NCAA requires "at least seven active Division I members," all of which must sponsor men's and women's basketball, and for the conference to sponsor at least 12 Division I sports, among other requirements. In the case of departures, the bylaws allow a conference a two-year grace period in which it can exist without the minimum number of schools.

The WCC agreement, like the one in football, is viewed as a short-term solution that will buy the schools time to rebuild the Pac-12. There had been similar discussions with the MW for an affiliate agreement beyond football, but those talks fell through, sources said.
            Interesting to hear that they still have plans on rebuilding the PAC, which can still potentially impact the MWC and maybe the AAC, depending on who goes where and when. But they will have a home for their sports teams for at least the next year or so as they work out whatever it is they're going to do.

The two year grace period, along with the affiliate status and scheduling agreement also allow them to wait and pull some MWC schools when their buyouts are lower. And since the courts have granted OSU/WSU control of the PAC, and their funds, they could potentially help pay buyouts to whatever schools are willing to join them.

The PAC won't be the PAC of old, but it still has good name recognition.

Do they start by becoming the PAC 8 and then move on to 10(+)?

If they were to add six schools, who would be the top targets? I don't think OSU/WSU are the elitists that some of their former conference mates are. A rough order of priority might be:

San Diego State
            Fresno State
            Boise State
            UNLV
            Colorado State
            Nevada
            Utah State
            Rice
            UTSA
            Air Force
            San Jose State
            Hawaii
            New Mexico
            Wyoming

If this happens in some form, I know we don't know who the AAC will have leading things, but I wouldn't be surprised if a move to 16 wouldn't happen if there are a few MWC members left that might be attractive.

The MWC would probably be looking to add some FCS schools at that point from the WAC or Big Sky

Could the PAC look to have some non-football members and try to get Gonzaga/SMC?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ESPN - Oregon State, Washington State settle with departing Pac-12 schools

The agreement comes in the wake of the Washington state Supreme Court's decision last week not to review a lower court's decision that granted control of the Pac-12 board of directors to OSU and WSU.

As part of the agreement, the 10 departing schools will forfeit an undisclosed portion of revenue distributions over the rest of the 2023-24 school year and have provided "specific guarantees against potential future liabilities."

"In September, as the two remaining members of the Pac-12 Conference, Oregon State University and Washington State University were forced to act swiftly to protect the future viability of the Pac-12. Thanks to the determination and strength of Beaver Nation and Cougar Nation and the excellence of our student-athletes, coaches and staff, we are now closer to achieving our goal," OSU president Jayathi Murthy and WSU president Kirk Schultz said in a joint statement. "Today's news marks a huge victory for our universities and a significant step toward stabilizing the Pac-12 Conference and preserving its 108-year legacy."

The Pac-12 will retain all its assets and future revenues, the presidents added.
              OSU/WSU will have to have at least 5 new members for the 26-27 season.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ESPN - Florida State suing ACC over grant of rights, withdrawal fee

The Florida State board of trustees voted unanimously Friday to sue the ACC to challenge the legality of the league's grant of rights and its $130 million withdrawal fee, a necessary first step to plot the school's future and potential exit from the conference.

The 38-page lawsuit, filed in Leon County Circuit Court in Tallahassee, Florida, seeks a declaratory judgment against the ACC to void the grant of rights and withdrawal fee as "unreasonable restraints of trade in the state of Florida and not enforceable in their entirety against Florida State."

The university alleges "chronic fiduciary mismanagement and bad faith" in the way the ACC has handled its multimedia rights agreements and undermined its members' revenue opportunities. Florida State is also accusing the ACC of breach of contract and failure to perform.

"I believe this board has been left no choice but to challenge the legitimacy of the ACC grant of rights and its severe withdrawal penalties," board chair Peter Collins said. "None of us like being in this position. However, I believe that we have exhausted all possible remedies within the conference and we must do what we believe is best for Florida State not only in the short term but in the long term."

Florida State is now in unprecedented territory. No school has ever challenged a grant of rights in court.
                This will be interesting considering they all signed onto the GOR.

"Florida State's decision to file action against the Conference is in direct conflict with their longstanding obligations and is a clear violation of their legal commitments to the other members of the Conference," the statement said. "All ACC members, including Florida State, willingly and knowingly re-signed the current Grant of Rights in 2016, which is wholly enforceable and binding through 2036. Each university has benefited from this agreement, receiving millions of dollars in revenue and neither Florida State nor any other institution, has ever challenged its legitimacy."

At issue is what Florida State has described over the past year as not only growing revenue gaps with the SEC and Big Ten, expected to be $30 million annually per school, but disagreements over the way media rights money should be distributed within the ACC. Although the ACC recently adopted success initiatives to reward teams for performance in football and men's and women's basketball, Florida State has pushed for television money to be distributed unevenly based on media value to the conference. The ACC has refused.
                Media value is hard to really quantify when it comes to revenue distribution. Rewarding success though makes some sense, though it could lead to those schools consistently being better than those receiving fewer funds which could lead to an even more inequitable conference and making it more contentious.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ESPN - Pac-12 makes Teresa Gould 1st woman Power 5 commissioner

The Pac-12 has appointed Teresa Gould, the league's deputy commissioner, as its new commissioner beginning March 1.

Gould, who takes over for George Kliavkoff, will become the first woman to be commissioner of a Power 5 conference. She was appointed by the presidents of Washington State and Oregon State, who make up the Pac-12 board because of the impending departures of the league's six other members to the Big Ten, Big 12 and ACC. In December, the two schools received full control of the league's decision-making after settling a legal dispute with the 10 other members.

The Pac-12 last week announced it was parting ways with Kliavkoff, who took over as commissioner in May 2021.

"Teresa's deep knowledge of collegiate athletics and unwavering commitment to student-athletes makes her uniquely qualified to help guide the Pac-12 Conference during this period of unprecedented change in college sports," Washington State president Kirk Schulz said in a statement issued Monday. "As the first female commissioner of an Autonomy Five conference, Teresa will be able to bring new perspectives and fresh ideas to the table as the industry works to find its way through this shifting landscape."

Washington State and Oregon State have entered a football scheduling partnership with the Mountain West, and will be affiliate members of the West Coast Conference in 12 sports for the next two athletic seasons. The Pac-12 will "sponsor select sports, sign media rights partnerships, and produce live events and content."
                  They're Power 5 in name only at this point, or will be once the other schools depart. But I'm still very curious to see how things take shape over the next two years.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Mentioned elsewhere, but there is more speculation to go with this and I don't want to put that on the basketball board.

Sources: UMass set to become 13th member of MAC for '25-'26 season

The University of Massachusetts is set to join the MAC in all applicable sports for the 2025-26 school year, sources told ESPN on Monday.

UMass is an independent in football but plays in the Atlantic-10 in basketball and the vast majority of the school's other sports. UMass' hockey program will remain in the Hockey East as the MAC does not have a hockey league.

The MAC presidents voted to invite UMass on Monday, as the school had already formally applied to the league. The timing of an announcement is not known, but UMass is set to accept and finalize the details of the arrangement in the near future. Once a school formally applies in conference realignment, there's usually an understanding that they will be accepted and enter that league.

UMass had also been engaged with Conference USA, per sources. Ultimately, the MAC made more geographic sense, and it also houses more of the sports that UMass offers. UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford made clear in recent comments that joining a league was a priority for UMass.
                    The MAC has been very stable. They'll probably look at seeing if they can get either Middle Tennessee or Western Kentucky to join. I believe last summer they were looking at adding them as a pair, but one of them was hesitant to move. I'd have to go back and double check that.

CUSA will have 11 when Delaware officially joins. There will be some looking into a 12th at some point I would think. CUSA has shown that they will call up FCS schools that want to make the jump and that may be where they go for that. They've helped a number make the transition recently in order to survive.

With Army moving to the American for football, only UCon and Notre Dame are left as Independents at this point.

A few years ago that list included those two along with Army, Liberty, UMass, and New Mexico State. With fewer indy's, this will probably complicate UCon's scheduling in the future as I believe the independents, outside of Notre Dame, have relied on scheduling each other later in the season as conference play ramps up. Would CUSA or the MAC be willing to accept them as football only? Don't know if UCon would accept either as they would probably come with some sort of basketball scheduling agreement as well.

The PAC 2 won't officially be independent and already have a scheduling agreement with the MWC for the next year or two.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                    X