No announcement yet.

NCAA Basketball Tournament Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the tournament is expanded, it will likely need CBS’s approval in some fashion. CBS loves the Final Four one weekend, followed by the Masters Golf Tournament the next weekend. The Masters would likely need to be pushed back a week, if the NCAA tournament is expanded.

Could happen, but I just don’t see the college basketball season starting a week earlier to accommodate the extra weekend needed for an expanded tournament.

It’a all about the $.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
      If the tournament is expanded, it will likely need CBS’s approval in some fashion. CBS loves the Final Four one weekend, followed by the Masters Golf Tournament the next weekend. The Masters would likely need to be pushed back a week, if the NCAA tournament is expanded.

Could happen, but I just don’t see the college basketball season starting a week earlier to accommodate the extra weekend needed for an expanded tournament.

It’a all about the $.
      And azaleas

Comment

ESPN - FSU's Leonard Hamilton would like tourney field doubled from 68

ACC men's basketball coaches discussed expanding the NCAA tournament during spring meetings on Tuesday, with Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton in favor of doubling the tournament field from 68.

Over the course of two days, the coaches had exhaustive discussions about what the league needs to do to get more teams into the NCAA tournament, including conversations about metrics, scheduling and yes, tournament expansion.

"I believe the NCAA tournament is the greatest sporting event in the world. It captivates everybody's imagination for about three weeks," Hamilton said. "Parity has set in. I might be a little ridiculous when I make this comment, but I think you could double it. You're already playing in Dayton on two nights. So, in two days, you're back to the same number. So, you already got the dates. You've just got to figure out how to play them at different sites. Maybe that might be a little aggressive. Some people think 96 is the number. Personally, I think you need to double the tournament.

"I think it's time to expand. I think it's time to have that conversation for the men and women."

In January, the NCAA Division I transformation committee recommended allowing 25% of teams in sports sponsored by at least 200 schools to compete in championship events. That would open the door to possible expansion of the NCAA basketball tournaments from 68 to as many as 90 teams each.
        It will be interesting to see where this goes. I think at this point expansion is inevitable. It's just a matter of when and by how much.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Every single team in College basketball save those on probation (punish or transitioning) has the opportunity to make the NCAA Tournament. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Why even have a regular season. Just put the whole D1 into a bracket and play a couple games each weekend til you get a champion.

Comment

ESPN - College basketball coaches split on NCAA tournament expansion

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo questions the value of expanding the NCAA tournament -- a move that could be made in the coming months -- beyond its current 68-team field.

Izzo said expansion could diminish the multibillion-dollar product that defines the sport. There have been conversations about a 96-team field in recent years.

"I just think it's going to get watered down," Izzo told ESPN on Thursday at the NBPA Top 100 Camp at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando. "I worry about that a little bit. It wouldn't bother me if they did that, but I do worry that if it gets watered down, it's not good. ... I think 68 has been a pretty good number. I think you get enough good first-round games. That's me."
            Kansas coach Bill Self said the time to expand is approaching because the transfer portal is changing the depth of men's basketball.

"I think what will determine [expansion] is the portal because there are going to be more good teams because I think you'll be able to have less teams take dips," he said. "Everybody will stay at a higher level. ... It might be time to really get serious about [expansion]. If the portal does what we think it's going to do, it's going to make it so it will be time."

Miami head coach Jim Larranaga was a star at Providence in 1971 when his team lost to Villanova in a game that cost the Friars a chance to go to the NCAA tournament, which included just 25 schools then. Villanova reached the national title game, where it lost to UCLA 68-62. Larranaga, who led Miami to its first Final Four in April, said he still wishes he had a chance to play in the tournament.

"I've been saying we should go to 96 forever," Larranaga said. "If the NCAA tournament is the biggest goal for every college basketball team but only 18% of the kids get to experience it and each year at least half the field is from the year before and the year before that ... it only makes sense to expand it and give more college student-athletes the experience."
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ESPN - NCAA: Talks continue, but tournament expansion 'not imminent

The NCAA acknowledged Thursday that it discussed possible expansion of the NCAA tournament at the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee meeting this week, but the organization also said expanding the field is "not imminent."

In January, the NCAA Division I transformation committee released a report recommending several changes to college sports, including allowing 25% of teams in sports sponsored by at least 200 schools to compete in annual championship events. For men's and women's college basketball, that could potentially mean a move from 68 teams to as many as 90 teams.

The Division I board of directors approved the recommendation later that month.

"The committee must be good stewards for the Division I Men's Basketball Championship," said Dan Gavitt, NCAA senior vice president of basketball. "They are committed to doing their due diligence looking at a few different models to make an informed decision that's in the best interests of the championship, and that may very well include deciding against expansion."

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Just another thought on end of season tournaments. NCAA seems bound to make the ncaa tournament and not a power conference only tournament. 358 division 1 basketball teams and around 70 “power” teams. I propose a separate tournament that includes all non power teams. Could call it the American National Basketball Championship Teams could be seeded using a ranking system similar to Kem Pom. Highest seeded team the first week would host. Next round games would have regional sites. With the final four at say an iconic site like MSG. All teams would receive money for any games played not just for a win. Every game televised in some form Obviously there would be logistical problems for schools and travel concerns taken into account but I would watch games of teams not often heard of or seen. Just seems we need a Ted Turner type of media mogul stature to take the lead on a venture such as this

Comment

Gotta agree with Tom... it seems disrespectful, but I'm sure there are special circumstances for not playing in the NIT. Maybe you play or you're automatically left out of the NCAA Tournament the following year... then, they'll play. On the flip side is gives mid-major type programs a chance to play in the postseason.

"The NIT provides an opportunity for programs that fell short of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament to gain more experience playing under the bright lights in the postseason. Yet St. John’s, Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, Indiana, Memphis and Oklahoma asked not to be invited to the less-heralded event after missing out on the Big Dance. On the heels of not making the NCAA Tournament, St. John’s formally announced they would not be playing in the NIT."

6 men's college basketball teams blasted for rejecting chance to participate in NIT (msn.com)
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Gotta agree with Tom... it seems disrespectful, but I'm sure there are special circumstances for not playing in the NIT. Maybe you play or you're automatically left out of the NCAA Tournament the following year... then, they'll play. On the flip side is gives mid-major type programs a chance to play in the postseason.

"The NIT provides an opportunity for programs that fell short of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament to gain more experience playing under the bright lights in the postseason. Yet St. John’s, Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, Indiana, Memphis and Oklahoma asked not to be invited to the less-heralded event after missing out on the Big Dance. On the heels of not making the NCAA Tournament, St. John’s formally announced they would not be playing in the NIT."
                    Perhaps they just want to get an early as possible start on their portal recruiting to replace the schlubs on their roster who can't even make the NCAA Tournament.,

Comment

Schlubs.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

ESPN - Kentucky's John Calipari slams talk of expanded NCAA tournament

Speaking Wednesday from Pittsburgh ahead of his No. 3-seeded Wildcats' first-round matchup against No. 14-seed Oakland, Calipari urged officials to keep the tournament from ballooning past its current 68-team format.​

Sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel last week there are ongoing discussions about expanding the men's tournament to one featuring no more than 80 teams.

"I hope it stays where it is," Calipari said. "You know, I know people get mad. They get mad at the committee. You won't believe this. I've been mad at that committee a few times. But you may be mad because of your seed or where they've shipped you to. ... But it doesn't matter who the committee is. We're all going to be upset." Editor's Picks

Calipari referred to the newly expanded format for the College Football Playoff and how more teams getting in will also mean more teams being angry over being left out.

"This is a business trip for me," Calipari said. "And I'll say everybody that's in this thing, I would say they'd say the same thing -- keep it where it is. Don't mess with something that's great."

Oakland coach Greg Kampe, who is in his 40th season with the Golden Grizzlies, echoed Calipari in spurning the possibility of a tournament with as many as 80 teams.

"This is the holy grail for mid-majors, right? It is," Kampe said. "And I've said this many times over the last week. The NCAA basketball tournament -- please don't change it, please don't change it. But it is one of the three greatest sporting events in the world."
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                        X