Richmond's Chris Mooney to miss remainder of season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond's Chris Mooney to miss remainder of season

Coach Mooney to miss season due to heart surgery.

ESPN - Richmond basketball coach Chris Mooney to have heart surgery

Richmond men's basketball coach Chris Mooney will undergo heart surgery and miss the remainder of the season, the school announced Friday.

Mooney will undergo a procedure to remove an aneurysm in his ascending aorta.

Assistant coach Peter Thomas will serve as interim head coach while Mooney is sidelined during a recovery period that is expected to last up to two months.

"I want to thank Richmond Athletics leadership, my coaching staff, and our players for doing everything they can to make a difficult situation a little bit easier," Mooney said in a statement. "I'm grateful to have a tremendous medical team to rely on, and I'm thankful to have the opportunity to fully focus on my health for the next few weeks. During that time, I'm confident that Peter Thomas, the rest of our coaches, and our players will rise to the challenge and have a successful end to the season."
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Dang. All the best to him. That's rough. He has been a great coach for them and I know this year has not been so good comparatively...hopefully he can get the care he needs and be back to coaching like normal.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

If for reasons he cannot continue, I know a great replacement for him that grew up in that area.

Comment

Working...
      X