Jank leaving Illinois State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jank leaving Illinois State?

Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Jans former assistant at ISUr, wonder if he will get a look.

Comment

Larry Brown - SMU...huh???
      Jank "Coach in waiting..." huh???
      (as I'm scratching my head)

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        Larry Brown - SMU...huh???
        Jank "Coach in waiting..." huh???
        (as I'm scratching my head)
        I'm just as baffled on this one.
        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Is this confirmed or rumor? If true, Jank is an idiot
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

This is absurd. Especially if he does take it.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              Definitely not confirmed. According to the article he is considering it though.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Not sure "idiot" is exactly it. Jank hasn't exactly blown it up at ISU, and IF he would be hired as a CIW, with SMU going to BigEast, you know Larry isn't hanging around all that long. He'll learn to cheat with the BEST of the cheaters. They'll chase all the Texas coed tail they can handle and Jank will end up getting a payday a lot better than he'll ever see at ISU. Probably a deal too good to pass up.

Don't misunderstand me...I'd love to Jank hang around...he's good for the Valley. But that's going to be tough to pass up and honestly, he probably shouldn't pass it up.

Comment

What does Jank make at ISUr? Probably next to jack crap would be my guess.

What does Jank get if they fail to make the NCAA next year? Probably they just let his contract run out

What does Jank get if he goes to the NCAA? Probably a lower tier BCS job at absolute best but he will be forced to leave if he wants descent money.

What does Jank get now if he leaves for SMU as coach in waiting? No heartburn next year and a lower tier BCS job.

Summary: Jank will have to leave ISUr one way or another within two years, he can secure his best possible outcome by leaving now. Something about one bird in the hand and two in the bush come to mind except in this case it's one bird in the hand and only one bird in the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                    Jans former assistant at ISUr, wonder if he will get a look.
                    That would be ironic. They aren't happy with the head coach so they fire him and a few years later hire his assistant coach? It doesn't make much sense.

Comment

I'd guess he's gone. Reports are he'd be getting $1.1 million as CIW at SMU who becomes a Big East school in a year or so. $1.1 I am guessing (don't want to try to find it) is at least double what he is getting at ISUr. I think he has been waiting to bolt since he got to ISUr just no BCS school has offered.
                      Last edited by Zardoz; April 18, 2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

SMU can have him. Yank-on-it is not a good coach. In four seasons at North Texass he went 53-57. Then had a couple good seasons at Hutch (so who hasn't). At ISUR, his best seasons were with Porter Mosers' players. As those players left the program, Yank-on-it had fewer and fewer wins. This season with a team full of his own players, he still had 14 losses. His teams RPI is always terrible because he schedules for crap. And his teams have never made it past the second round of the NIT. He may know his days are numbered at ISUR, so he's trying to get out. But the KSU MildCats didn't want him, and Tulsa didn't want him. So it's back to being an assistant. But on the other hand, for only $400,00.00, maybe ISUR got what they payed for.
                        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Carmichael, Moore, and Brown are all Jank players and they are damn good players and i dont understand your reasoning about his "own" players

Comment

Jank appeared to be getting things turned around and would be in charge of a team picked to compete for a conference title. I think they could hang with and beat Creighton this coming season. His biggest issue in the past has been scheduling. That's what cost him shots at the NCAA his first few years. The schedule has been a little better the past couple years but not great. This coming season I believe it's even better and that ISU is in a nice tournament. For them to lose a head coach now would be horrible. I don't think Jank is a horrid coach. He's an alright recruiter and a decent coach. Scheduling has been the biggest issue with him. And he has another nice class coming in this year. I think if he stays at ISU, he gets a better job than SMU. SMU was a bad job in CUSA and will be an even worse job in the BE.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
                              Carmichael, Moore, and Brown are all Jank players and they are damn good players and i dont understand your reasoning about his "own" players
                              I just reread my post. And sure enough, I never said Carmichael, Moore, or Brown were bad players. In fact, I've always thought Jackie Carmichael was a damn good player. I wish we had him. I did however say Yank-on-it is not a good coach. Maybe Yank is not a good recruiter, so he has not brought in enough good players like the three you listed. Maybe Yank is a lousy X,s and O,s guy. But Yanks

1st Season, 25-10
                              2nd Season, 24-10
                              3rd Season, 22-11
                              4th Season, 12-19
                              5th Season, 21-14

As Mosers' players left and Yank had more of his own players, he had fewer wins and more losses, including 14 this season. Yanks ISUR record together with his record at North Texass as a head coach indicates to me he is not a good head coach.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Working...
                              X