Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regents to make it more difficult to change conferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regents to make it more difficult to change conferences?

LJ World - Kansas Regents taking steps to ensure KU, other schools can't change athletic conferences without prior approval

Members of the Kansas Board of Regents are in the process of creating a new policy that would require any Regents university — KU, K-State, Wichita State, Fort Hays State, Pittsburg State and Emporia State — to get approvals from at least three non-university officials before moving to a new athletic conference.

The pending policy — which was recently approved by a subcommittee of the Regents, but not yet acted upon by the full board — comes on the heels of major conference realignment, which has sparked discussion about whether KU may need to move from the Big 12 Conference to protect its athletic programs.

Among the biggest shake-ups nationally has been the University of California-Los Angeles announcing plans to leave the Pac-12 Conference and join the Big Ten Conference in 2024. That planned move has drawn protests across California’s higher education scene, with allegations that other public schools in the state will be harmed if UCLA’s move diminishes or destroys the Pac-12 Conference.

“We saw with the UCLA situation that there wasn’t alignment there, and we want to make sure we move forward in alignment in Kansas,” Regents Chair Jon Rolph told the Journal-World on Thursday.
    After we moved, I know they implemented a rule where they have to be notified before negotiations take place, but now they're wanting a say. I assume this will pass.

I don't see a need for us to make a move any time soon, as we're in a good place with like minded schools and in good areas of the country. But for any of you praying for an A10 or Big East invite, I don't see us getting approval from the BoR unless something drastic were to happen. Though something drastic would have to happen for either of those conferences to either want us, or make sense.

The bigger potential bump here, and the one that isn't much hinted at but is the fear for those in Lawrence, would be for the old rumors that weren't true, to become reality. This would be a way for the BoR to tie KSU to KU on any move, which would pretty much prevent KU from going anywhere should they have an option down the road.

I don't think KU has options right now. KSU definitely doesn't. If the XII can pull some PAC schools, they'll be fine. If they don't, there will always be more threats. I'm not sure there are many XII schools left that would generate much buzz, but that can change in time.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

KSU's football program is lightyears ahead of KU's. Is this about preventing KSU from leapfrogging KU, should an invitation be extended to KSU, but not KU?
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      KSU's football program is lightyears ahead of KU's. Is this about preventing KSU from leapfrogging KU, should an invitation be extended to KSU, but not KU?
      KSU's football program isn't getting them into a better conference. It's been said often that if KU can get even an average program on the field, that they could get a bump due to basketball and football no longer being a drag. I still don't think anyone left in the XII is going anywhere, but between KU and KSU, KU would easily be the one picked. They just need to pick it up on the gridiron.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

KSU's football program isn't getting them into a better conference. It's been said often that if KU can get even an average program on the field, that they could get a bump due to basketball and football no longer being a drag. I still don't think anyone left in the XII is going anywhere, but between KU and KSU, KU would easily be the one picked. They just need to pick it up on the gridiron.
        When you say "pick it up on the gridiron," how much do they have to do before they are not a net negative to another conference? Realignment is all about football, and if your brand doesn't add value, you aren't getting invited.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          It's been said often that if KU can get even an average program on the field, that they could get a bump due to basketball and football no longer being a drag.
          It's also been said often that realignment is all about football, so what makes it so clear cut that a crappy KU football program gives them an edge over K-State who has a decent one? (KU may have turned their program around this season, but assume they haven't for the sake of the discussion)
          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

When you say "pick it up on the gridiron," how much do they have to do before they are not a net negative to another conference? Realignment is all about football, and if your brand doesn't add value, you aren't getting invited.
            If they're just an average team, they might get considered. If they could get closer to Mangino levels, they have a much better shot. An average KU football brings with it a national following, mostly basketball, but it can be sold. KSU does have a better football program, but brings little value in the grand scheme of things. Fan base size/market still matter. It's the only reason a shitty Rutgers program was ever invited to the B1G. A consistently bowl eligible KU has value, especially when added into what basketball brings from them. TV contracts are 60% or so all about football.

I also projected this as a future issue and wouldn't expect anything for them in the near term. But if they spent a decade or so playing in bowl games and maybe even challenging for a top spot in the XII from time to time, they'd get considered. Though if the BoR wants to unofficially tie them to KSU, KU will never have a chance to go anywhere. No major player is going to want a KSU, even if good at football, that has a relatively small fan base made up mostly of rural fans in a small state.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This is also all based on conferences expanding even more. I never thought more than 16 would happen, but 24 looks very possible down the road. Nobody will want to add dead weight, but some average to above average programs with national branding are going to get mixed in if we go to 24. Also down the line, if the ACC loses a few teams to the B1G or SEC, they're going to be reaching out to others as well, and are generally seen as the 3rd strongest overall conference. I don't know what their media deal looks like, but they have a strong east coast presence which doesn't hurt and some large brands. If it comes to that, I could absolutely see them reaching into the next time zone to expand what they offer.

KU will never end up in the SEC. Down the road, with improved football, the B1G might be in consideration. If the ACC gets poached eventually, I think KU would very much be in play, again, with improved football. Though again, if the BoR wants to tie KSU to them, they'll never have a chance there either. No conference really wants to double up in a state with a small population like Kansas. There's not value there. And KU is easily the biggest name in the state with the largest national following. They're definitely higher up than KSU will ever be.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It's also been said often that realignment is all about football, so what makes it so clear cut that a crappy KU football program gives them an edge over K-State who has a decent one? (KU may have turned their program around this season, but assume they haven't for the sake of the discussion)
                KU is AAU, which to the academic snobs is an indication of relatively elite-ish status. A lot of the B10 expansion has been based on AAU membership, at least in part.

Comment

Jon is a CHAD.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                  X