Loyal Athletes? What a concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loyal Athletes? What a concept

This article by-line caught my eye. You don't see loyalty everyday. Most are looking for how much they can get paid. Our own Ricky Council 4 didn't pay back the coaching staff that saw a really good player in high school that only a few low majors saw, besides WSU. As soon as the piranha poacher's came out, he went their way immediately, and Arkansas seems to be "KING" of poachers in ALL sports. They also tried to poach a baseball player or two.

His father has been a Div. 1 Assistant Coach at several universities, and he has good advice that not too many college athletes pay attention to these days. KSU did sell him on the fact that they would use him in a traditional back role (like Sproles), where other schools wanted to put the 5'6" 165 lb. back in other non-traditional roles like slot back, receiver, etc.

‘I’m not going anywhere’: Many have tried (and failed) to poach K-State’s Deuce Vaughn

There is one more reason why Vaughn’s father also politely tells people who send feelers his son’s way to stand down. “He is as happy as he can possibly be to be a Wildcat,” Vaughn’s father said. “The experience he has had with this coaching staff and the way his college career has gone ... You really couldn’t write up a story better than the way it has happened. Because of that, there is a sense of loyalty. He knows that there isn’t a better place out there for him.”

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...264835359.html
    Last edited by Shockm; August 27, 2022, 09:09 AM.

I'm not going to hate on anyone in a position like RC4. He came to play for 3G and one could argue that IB wasn't the one to get the most out of him.

But even before money was an issue, things had changed as a whole. Some players leave for good and valid reasons. Most move down so they can play more. That's important to a lot of kids, especially if they know they're not playing beyond college. Some move on because what they were recruited to has changed. Be it a coaching change or being fed a load of BS by a staff only to show up and things are not as advertised. Some simply don't actually fit in with a style or philosophy. Why should someone be loyal to a place that isn't conducive to a positive experience or gives them the best opportunity at a good future?

Does this same thought process work for us in professional settings? I've ended up working for some shitty people and in environments that weren't good for me. Should I have been loyal and stayed? Or should I have moved on to find a better fit? Something that pushed me forward professionally? Something that maybe benefit my bank account more? Hell, I've taken pay cuts before to put myself into better positions to move forward.

Some kids leave schools for the wrong reasons or because they're listening to the wrong people. That's not the majority of cases. Most are simply trying to find better fits for them to succeed.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
    X