Coach Pete Carril Dies at 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Pete Carril Dies at 92

Coach Carril is one of my all-time, favorite college basketball coaches. It was a real joy watching his Princeton teams beat highly ranked teams, or at the least, give them a big scare.

Hall of Fame ex-Princeton Tigers coach Pete Carril dies at 92 (espn.com)

If you are not familiar with Coach Carril and the "Princeton Offense", you can easily find videos on YouTube.

This sounds awful but I didn’t even know he was still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      This sounds awful but I didn’t even know he was still alive.
      I don't know how that could be construed awful at all.

26 years ago his Princeton team beat Jim Harrick's UCLA Bruins in the tournament. Pete was 66 at the time. Harrick was coming off a Natty at UCLA and it would be his last game coaching the Bruins as he was fired for paying for a dinner for Cam Dollar and Charles O'Bannon and then lied about it and tried to get others to lie about it. Harrick was 58 at the time. But Jim looked 40 and Pete looked 75.

Full game:

Watch this complete March Madness classic game from 1996, when underdog and 13-seed Princeton upset defending champion UCLA in the first round of the NCAA to...

Man that sounds like an early 20s Gus Johnson on the call.

Coach Harrick was last seen at Cal State Northridge where he was an assistant under his former assistant (and cheater) Mark Gottfried. That staff was let go last summer after several months of investigations into cheating by the former coach at NC State.

Comment

Working...
      X