Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Former NBA Star Gets NCAA Head Coaching Job

Eagle - Former NBA PG Rod Strickland hired as LIU basketball coach

Former NBA point guard Rod Strickland is the new men’s basketball coach at Long Island University.

Strickland was hired Thursday to replace Derek Kellogg, who led the Sharks to a 16-14 record last season. He had been serving as the program director for the NBA G League Ignite, evaluating and mentoring top high school prospects to prepare them for a professional career.

The Sharks are hoping he can transition to getting those types of players into their program.

“Developing young players on and off the court has always aligned with my passion while I was playing and after retiring from the NBA,” Strickland said in a statement. “I am appreciative to Long Island University for the opportunity to become a head coach at home, in New York City. The Sharks are going to be a competing program for top athletes who not only want to take their game to the next level but prepare for success.”
    He's apparently had some assistant coaching history at USF, Memphis and Kentucky.

It will be interesting to see how he uses his history and connections to his advantage within the NEC. He was a pretty damn good PG and I've always thought PGs seem to be the most likely to have coaching success as they have generally led teams and have an understanding of what everyone is doing at any given time. You generally see the game differently than most. Kind of like catchers in baseball.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry
Working...
X