John Groce to Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Groce to Illinois

I guess this was kept under wraps pretty well.

I didn't hear anything before they announced it.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

I had heard that they were pursuing him after Smart turned them down, but it never turned into the rumor mill that the SC job did.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Wow...Groce finished 6th and 3rd in the Mid-America conference the past two years. Did he hit the lottery or what!!!

Comment

I'm amazed at the selection. I guess they really, really like the coaching tree he comes from.

Comment

Every year that goes by I think tournament success becomes more and more over-valued when compared to the 30-or-so game regular season.

Not that Groce isn't a good coach, but he just parlayed a Sweet 16 into a job that finishing 3rd and 6th in their conference would never merit.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Every year that goes by I think tournament success becomes more and more over-valued when compared to the 30-or-so game regular season.

Not that Groce isn't a good coach, but he just parlayed a Sweet 16 into a job that finishing 3rd and 6th in their conference would never merit.
            That made me think about the part of Moneyball (the book) that discussed Billy Beane's opinion about playoff success. He argued that the regular season was a much better indicator of how well you put a team together because the luck factors start to even out over that many games. The post season is a whole different animal.

While it may be true that some coaches are better than others in coaching in tournament settings, I'd still value consistent production in the regular season since that will be the key to consistently having chances to play in the post season.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

It was rumored here.

Comment

Ohio to Illinois huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Ohio to Illinois huh?
                  Interstate 70 west out of Ohio to interstate 74 will get you close.

Comment

Hmmm. Illinois.

Comment

Groce was credited with recruiting Greg Oden and some of the other big stars when he was an assistant at Ohio State. His perceived ability to recruit the Chicago area is what got him the job after Shaka failed...
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                        Groce was credited with recruiting Greg Oden and some of the other big stars when he was an assistant at Ohio State. His perceived ability to recruit the Chicago area is what got him the job after Shaka failed...
                        Good for him...he was also credited with finishing 6th & 3rd in the Mid-Am Conference the past 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          If Ohio doesn't make the tournament or loses in the first round, does Illinois even bother kicking his tires?

I say no because their fans would say he hasn't proven himself as a head coach. Two NCAA wins and he becomes proven enough.

Comment

If Ohio doesn't make the tournament or loses in the first round, does Illinois even bother kicking his tires?

I say no because their fans would say he hasn't proven himself as a head coach. Two NCAA wins and he becomes proven enough.
                            I think you are right. It really surprised me that we took the Illinois job. It seemed to be the job that nobody wanted and I thought for sure Jim Schaus would have come up with a way to keep him at Ohio.

Comment

Of course they wouldn't, but he did, and that coupled with his recruiting background got him the interview and ultimately the job. There were plenty of other candidates, but they needed a "hot" commodity and S16 appearances make you hot.

Named the national recruiter of the year in 2006 by Rivals.com after playing a lead role in landing Greg Oden, Mike Conley and Daequan Cook at Ohio State, Groce shouldn’t be underestimated. He used contacts from his brother Travis Steele to build relationships with Oden and Conley, former Indianapolis prep stars.
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                              X