Frank Martin paid Collegiate Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Martin paid Collegiate Players

Kansas State coach Frank Martin, who spent seven years at the helm of three high school teams in the 1990s before joining Northeastern University as an assistant coach, says he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.
    Martin, speaking during Sunday's broadcast of the NCAA tournament on CBS, for which he was working as an analyst, seemed to be making a case for better compensating collegiate players in need as he defended Kansas State senior Jamar Samuels, who was held out of the Wildcats' final game because of an eligibility concern.

"I coached 16 years in the same inner city in Miami that I grew up in. Do you know how much money I sent to kids that played for me in high school when they were in college because I knew where they came from?" Martin said, according to a transcript of the broadcast published by the Kansas City Star. "I knew they didn't have a father figure."

Kansas State coach Frank Martin says he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Sort of a misleading thread title. It insinuates that Martin paid players while he was a college coach.

Is there any rule that a high school coach can't pay players while they attend college? I see where Frank is coming from. Often these inner city kids (where Frank coached HS) have no father, and come from poor families. He was very much a father figure to most of these young men, and if he went as far as to financially help them while they go to college, he's a good man. He received no benefit in helping them out while they were in college, and he was coaching in HS.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

The NCAA does not consider former coaches to be "long-term friends", so HS or AAU coches sending money to college players is absolutely forbidden.

With the NCAA already looking sideways at KSU (and Martin), Martin admitting that he regularly violated NCAA regs when he was a HS coach is not a brilliant plan.
      Last edited by Aargh; March 26, 2012, 06:32 PM.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        The NCAA does not consider former coaches to be "long-term friends", so HS or AAU coches sending money to college players is absolutely forbidden.

With the NCAA alredy looking sideways at KSU (and Martinm), Martin admitting that he regularly violated NCAA regs qwhen he was a HS coach is not a brilliant plan.
        Thanks for the clarification. Then no matter what, he shouldn't have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          Kansas State coach Frank Martin, who spent seven years at the helm of three high school teams in the 1990s before joining Northeastern University as an assistant coach, says he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.
          Martin, speaking during Sunday's broadcast of the NCAA tournament on CBS, for which he was working as an analyst, seemed to be making a case for better compensating collegiate players in need as he defended Kansas State senior Jamar Samuels, who was held out of the Wildcats' final game because of an eligibility concern.

"I coached 16 years in the same inner city in Miami that I grew up in. Do you know how much money I sent to kids that played for me in high school when they were in college because I knew where they came from?" Martin said, according to a transcript of the broadcast published by the Kansas City Star. "I knew they didn't have a father figure."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...r-prep-players
          Admitting that he payed former players on national television is not smart and goes along with Martin's "Jersey Shore" accent.

Comment

I really have no idea whether or not Frank violated any NCAA rules or not when he sent money to his former players in college. A lot may depend on what the source of the funds were. In any case, it seems like an incredibly dumb statement to make on national TV. He could make a case for the college players to receive a cash stipend as part of their scholarship without laying out what he was up to when he was a high school coach hoping to move up the coaching ladder.

The other question his statement begs is if he was giving players money back when he was a high school coach and he seems to be of the opinion that was a very noble thing to have done, what has he been up to as a college coach when his income gives him much more wherewithal to fund such noble activities.

Comment

Do you think he knows Snooki?

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                He was very much a father figure to most of these young men, and if he went as far as to financially help them while they go to college
                Yea but they don't spend the money on food they spend it on tattoos. I would like to know how they afford the cost of hundreds of dollars worth of this so called body art when they are hungry and broke all the time?
                An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                  Yea but they don't spend the money on food they spend it on tattoos. I would like to know how they afford the cost of hundreds of dollars worth of this so called body art when they are hungry and broke all the time?
                  That's a damn good question.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    That's a damn good question.
                    Actually .. that is a _very_ damn good question.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

T-Rob at KU has $10,000 worth of ink, I betcha.

Comment

And I belive that biddyball coaches and grade school coaches can give former players money, but high school or AAU coaches cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                          Ask Tressel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Actually .. that is a _very_ damn good question.
                            Actually that is a gosh_dang_darn good question..

BTW, why does a player need "food" money while with team in the NCAA Tournament or on any road trip? The team is allowed to feed the players on those trips aren't they?

Comment

They can't get a "discount" on clothing in another city without going to jail. Only Manhattan "discounts" keep them out if hail. Could that be why he needed the money?

Comment

Working...
                              X