Does C-USA Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does C-USA Survive?

I haven't looked into this very closely, but with the American taking six schools from CUSA and I believe the Belt has announced or at least been rumored to be taking three more, I think that would leave CUSA with five. I've seen some rumblings on Twitter that the MAC may be considering Western Kentucky and MTSU which would drop them to three.

So the question is, will CUSA survive? I'm sure it can at least pull a WAC and survive as a non FBS conference, but I don't think that's their desire. And the WAC was in a tough place having only one FBS member remaining in New Mexico State. With that said, you would think New Mexico State and Liberty would be their first calls as they're football Independents right now and would probably accept full membership. Liberty could still survive as an Independent if need be, but there's no way NMSU declines.

So, best case scenario for CUSA is they would need only one FCS call-up to get to eight full members, which I believe is needed for FBS status. If that's all they need, I think it'll be easy to find one that can and will make the jump. Jacksonville State seems to make the most sense as a SE school that already draws over 30k a game if I remember correctly.

But if Liberty says no and WKU and MTSU leave, they'd need four schools ready to move to FBS and that gets complicated. I don't follow college football all that closely since we don't play, but I still think Jacksonville State is a no-brainer. That would leave three, at least, to move. Any ideas? You'd think that despite geography they might try and reach out to the XDSUs as they both bring pretty good football and some solid olympic sports I believe. I'm not sure if they'd make the move or not. Are there any Texas schools that could make the jump? Sam Houston State? I can't think of others off the top of my head but I know they exist. I believe the WAC added some schools that had a desire to eventually move to FBS, or at least that was a rumor at one time. Could any of them be persuaded to jump ship for a chance at FBS? Travel would escalate, but the chance to move up may be now or never with a conference invite.

Could any of the MVC schools actually do it? I know MSU fans used to talk about it. This may be their best opportunity if they could pull it off. Illinois State at one time had at least a few rumors about looking into it, but the state of Illinois is still a mess from my understanding. I'm not sure if that would hold them back. I don't think any of the others could do it. I think when looking at budgets a while back, UNI had one of the smallest in the MVC. And WSU's athletic budget was greater than those football playing schools in the MVC.

Is there a positive of CUSA losing FBS status? Personally, I like to see there be options for move ups beyond Independent. It's what made me sad for the WAC as the western half of the country now essentially has no way to move up with a conference invite as the MWC and PAC aren't going that route. Hell, the PAC won't even poach the MWC at this point I don't think.

But back to CUSA. Does it survive as an FBS conference? Does it survive at all? I don't think the remaining teams are all that attractive to other conferences, outside of maybe WKU and MTSU with the MAC. If those two leave, you're left with UTEP, LaTech and FIU I believe. And I don't think they can be overly picky about who/where they add schools from if they wish to survive. NMSU wouldn't say yes until there were other commitments lined up. Outside of being Independent in football, the WAC is a good conference for them for everything else.

I don't want to see it die, but it's going to be interesting to see them try to survive and what takes place.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I haven't looked into this very closely, but with the American taking six schools from CUSA and I believe the Belt has announced or at least been rumored to be taking three more, I think that would leave CUSA with five. I've seen some rumblings on Twitter that the MAC may be considering Western Kentucky and MTSU which would drop them to three.

So the question is, will CUSA survive? I'm sure it can at least pull a WAC and survive as a non FBS conference, but I don't think that's their desire. And the WAC was in a tough place having only one FBS member remaining in New Mexico State. With that said, you would think New Mexico State and Liberty would be their first calls as they're football Independents right now and would probably accept full membership. Liberty could still survive as an Independent if need be, but there's no way NMSU declines.

So, best case scenario for CUSA is they would need only one FCS call-up to get to eight full members, which I believe is needed for FBS status. If that's all they need, I think it'll be easy to find one that can and will make the jump. Jacksonville State seems to make the most sense as a SE school that already draws over 30k a game if I remember correctly.

But if Liberty says no and WKU and MTSU leave, they'd need four schools ready to move to FBS and that gets complicated. I don't follow college football all that closely since we don't play, but I still think Jacksonville State is a no-brainer. That would leave three, at least, to move. Any ideas? You'd think that despite geography they might try and reach out to the XDSUs as they both bring pretty good football and some solid olympic sports I believe. I'm not sure if they'd make the move or not. Are there any Texas schools that could make the jump? Sam Houston State? I can't think of others off the top of my head but I know they exist. I believe the WAC added some schools that had a desire to eventually move to FBS, or at least that was a rumor at one time. Could any of them be persuaded to jump ship for a chance at FBS? Travel would escalate, but the chance to move up may be now or never with a conference invite.

Could any of the MVC schools actually do it? I know MSU fans used to talk about it. This may be their best opportunity if they could pull it off. Illinois State at one time had at least a few rumors about looking into it, but the state of Illinois is still a mess from my understanding. I'm not sure if that would hold them back. I don't think any of the others could do it. I think when looking at budgets a while back, UNI had one of the smallest in the MVC. And WSU's athletic budget was greater than those football playing schools in the MVC.

Is there a positive of CUSA losing FBS status? Personally, I like to see there be options for move ups beyond Independent. It's what made me sad for the WAC as the western half of the country now essentially has no way to move up with a conference invite as the MWC and PAC aren't going that route. Hell, the PAC won't even poach the MWC at this point I don't think.

But back to CUSA. Does it survive as an FBS conference? Does it survive at all? I don't think the remaining teams are all that attractive to other conferences, outside of maybe WKU and MTSU with the MAC. If those two leave, you're left with UTEP, LaTech and FIU I believe. And I don't think they can be overly picky about who/where they add schools from if they wish to survive. NMSU wouldn't say yes until there were other commitments lined up. Outside of being Independent in football, the WAC is a good conference for them for everything else.

I don't want to see it die, but it's going to be interesting to see them try to survive and what takes place.
    Report: MAC could land death blow to Conference USA (msn.com)
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think they are toast and i think they could see the writing on the wall thus their Hail Mary pass of trying to convince the AAC and SBC that they should joing ranks and reorganize regionally.

Actually, it sounds like the majority of the CUSA teams may be better off in their new homes with less than a handful of teams perhaps left to find new home where they can.

Comment

There are reports of Liberty and New Mexico State close to joining and FCS schools Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State also in. That would get the conference to seven, upon the FCS schools finishing their transition and leaves only one spot that absolutely has to be filled, assuming CUSA is down to three members. They still might just make it through if these reports are true.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

There are reports of Liberty and New Mexico State close to joining and FCS schools Jacksonville State and Sam Houston State also in. That would get the conference to seven, upon the FCS schools finishing their transition and leaves only one spot that absolutely has to be filled, assuming CUSA is down to three members. They still might just make it through if these reports are true.
          What about James Madison? They are trying to go to FBS, aren’t they?

Comment

While Montana would never leave Montana State out of the mix, they would be a good school to look at. Solid basketball and football and the nicest FCS stadium in the country in my opinion.

Comment

Sure it survives. It's just been renamed the American Athletic Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

What about James Madison? They are trying to go to FBS, aren’t they?
                I believe they're working on joining the Sun Belt
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  Sure it survives. It's just been renamed the American Athletic Conference.
                  Ouchie

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    While Montana would never leave Montana State out of the mix, they would be a good school to look at. Solid basketball and football and the nicest FCS stadium in the country in my opinion.
                    The Montana's, much like the Dakota State's have a geographical issue. They're pretty competitive schools but located in low population states and not really near conferences that would/could be looking to add. I'd think the Dakota's could overcome that a bit by the headlines they've had in recent memory, but either that's not the case or they're not interested.

The Montana's are further harmed by the fact that there are only two FBS conferences in the west and neither is likely to take an FCS schools. The WAC losing FBS status really harmed western schools that could possibly move up. The Dakota schools are probably too far away for the MAC to really consider them and that's the only northern based conference that would have seemed likely. You'd think a desperate CUSA might make an exception and take them on as they'd bring some eyeballs based on their FCS success, but the conference already stretches from Miami to El Paso/Las Cruces (if rumors are true) and may simply not want to add the Dakotas to that travel arrangement. Maybe the Dakotas don't want it either. But CUSA has a horrid media deal and that's not likely to go up any time soon so that doesn't really compensate the travel issues.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sounds like negotiations between WKU and MTSU and the MAC have stalled. Perhaps with the quick new additions those two are deciding if they want to stay in a southern focused conference or go with the stability of a northern based conference.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

C-USA could become the best FCS conference in the country...

Comment

Sounds like negotiations between WKU and MTSU and the MAC have stalled. Perhaps with the quick new additions those two are deciding if they want to stay in a southern focused conference or go with the stability of a northern based conference.
                          The MAC has a close relationship with the B1G and has zero problems being "little brother" in the situation. Covid hurt last year, but the MAC picked up the bulk of B1G non-com games again this year. The MAC scores bunches of buy games from the B1G in basketball as well and the occasional home and home.

While the American likes to pretend they are P-6, the fact that Cincy is fighting for a seat at the table proves otherwise. The American is the best non P-5 football conference for now, but the MAC is without question the most stable non-P-5 conference in football. How any school would let talks with the MAC "stall" us beyond me. I understand the MAC slowing down, but if the stall is at the hands of WKU and/or MTSU, those school administrators need to be fired yesterday.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

The MAC has a close relationship with the B1G and has zero problems being "little brother" in the situation. Covid hurt last year, but the MAC picked up the bulk of B1G non-com games again this year. The MAC scores bunches of buy games from the B1G in basketball as well and the occasional home and home.

While the American likes to pretend they are P-6, the fact that Cincy is fighting for a seat at the table proves otherwise. The American is the best non P-5 football conference for now, but the MAC is without question the most stable non-P-5 conference in football. How any school would let talks with the MAC "stall" us beyond me. I understand the MAC slowing down, but if the stall is at the hands of WKU and/or MTSU, those school administrators need to be fired yesterday.
                            The MACs stability is largely due to its lack of success and growth as a conference, or individual schools. I believe the MAC has been pretty consistently rated as the lowest BCS conference for a number of years now, and in some ratings is below the MVFC and maybe one other FCS conference. So while stability isn't all bad, in the case of the MAC, it's because it's full of schools that do not progress or aspire to be much more than they are. They "know their place" and have accepted what they are.

As far as MTSU and WKU letting things stall, they are two southern focused schools that may see CUSA surviving and would rather stay there now with culturally equivalent schools than become sucked into the absolute mediocrity at best MAC. Also, if they feel that movement may still be likely in a few years, it may be best to stay in CUSA than subject themselves to the MAC. With what we know about the AAC, I'm not sure either have a shot at getting in if we lose more, but the Belt could still be a potential option for them down the road.

The MAC doesn't need to expand. If CUSA is saved, WKU and MTSU don't need to move. CUSA will still be a better basketball conference and while it may dip in football a bit, there's still no guarantee if falls below the MAC or stays beneath it for long.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Latest rumors have WKU ready to accept an offer and MTSU leaning towards staying in CUSA, which would mean WKU would be staying in CUSA as it sounds like it's both or none for the MAC.

This would put CUSA at 9 members with two of those being FCS callups. I wouldn't be surprised to see a third one added to get to 10. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were to add two more either this year, or in a couple of years after the current FCS schools finish their transition to get to 12. There was a report last week or so that stated 30 or so schools had reached out to CUSA about membership. So it sounds like they have options and I could see them telling the remaining schools what they need to do in order to be more attractive to the conference in regards to investments. Which one to three would make the cut?
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X