NCAA removing minimum test scores for athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA removing minimum test scores for athletes

NCAA task force recommends removing minimum standardized test scores in effort to advance racial equity

"The days of colleges requiring the SAT or ACT are passing rapidly: more than half of all four-year colleges and universities will not require these tests for admissions in 2021, and more are dropping the requirement every week," the NABC said in a statement at the time. "These tests should no longer be required in the initial-eligibility standards. The tests are again being recognized as forces of institutional racism, which is consistent with their history, and they should be jettisoned for that reason alone; moreover, pragmatics also support this change."
    Someone explain this to me, because it looks like what they are saying is minority athletes as a whole aren’t smart enough to pass the SAT/ACT and therefore testing needs to be removed so more minority athletes can go to college.

Maybe what they are trying to say is of the population that can’t post a passing test score, the majority are minorities coming from underserved communities.
    Last edited by shock; October 15, 2021, 11:38 AM.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Also not sure how the tests are racist.

And it always seemed pretty racist to me to lower standards because you think minorities are incapable of achieving a certain threshold.

And it's not like the bar is set very high as it is. When I was in HS I think you had to score a 16 or 17 on the ACT to qualify for D1. JUCO was down around 12. If you can't pull those numbers out of your ass, college probably isn't for you anyway.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Also not sure how the tests are racist.

And it always seemed pretty racist to me to lower standards because you think minorities are incapable of achieving a certain threshold.

And it's not like the bar is set very high as it is. When I was in HS I think you had to score a 16 or 17 on the ACT to qualify for D1. JUCO was down around 12. If you can't pull those numbers out of your ass, college probably isn't for you anyway.
      Right on the money SubGod!

Comment

This just goes along with wanting to drop an F as a grade to not promote failure.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
          This just goes along with wanting to drop an F as a grade to not promote failure.
          The result is which to move faiing students on to the next level and so and and forth which is in practice and llterally promoting failure.

Comment

Most proponents of this will try to say that any standardized test is racially biased. I don't see how but I'm not woke and have always enjoyed the being white advantage my whole life so what do I know. If this is the way things are going will that mean that Ozell Jones will still have some eligibility left at WSU and the years probation WSU suffered from be expunged and the fines returned? Just asking for me.

Comment

Working...
            X