No announcement yet.

This is what Valley play looks like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what Valley play looks like...

Winning the conference means you're one tough hombre.

In a game filled with off-target shots, Illinois State dominated rebounding and handed the Bears a 68-60 defeat Wednesday night before 6,124 fans in JQH Arena.
    Amazing!
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Missouri State's small crowd for that game shouldn't bother WSU fans. We all know when the Shockers roll into that gym, it will be sold out and the atmosphere will be electric...Anyways, in wake of the sunflower showdown, and seeing all those blue and purple supporters on the eagle website laughing at the wsu vs eu score, would it NOT be a seemingly great idea for the Big 12 and the Valley to have a conference challenge every year? The valley has looked more impressive the past 3 years than the big 12.. Okay, maybe the past 2 years, but UNI beating KU and then WSU winning the NIT last year has certainly caught everyone's attention i think. Even more impressive, with all that going on KU, KSU and Texas still won't consciously schedule valley teams despite the insecurities from their regional rival conference the past couple years.

Comment

Good for the MVC, but what does the Big ? get out of it?

They are the ones you have to convince that playing a conference that infrequently has one school in the top 25 and maybe two and rarely three more schools in the top 100, would be beneficial to them.

Until the MVC conference can show consistency over a number of years this simply is not going to happen. And even then, you can forget about playing KU or KSU.

And of course, the same holds true for the Shockers as well concerning our own scheduling. Year-in-and-year-out we have to consistently start ranking in the top 50 and occasionally in the top 25 along with NCAA invitations as well.

Is this likely to happen? Well, we can dream can't we.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          Good for the MVC, but what does the Big ? get out of it?

They are the ones you have to convince that playing a conference that infrequently has one school in the top 25 and maybe two and rarely three more schools in the top 100, would be beneficial to them.
          The MVC generally has 4-5 schools in the top 100....mostly back-loaded, but I think three times in the last 7 years that the MVC finished with 6 schools in the top 110.

Currently 6 schools top 100 (2 top 25, 3 top 50)
          10-11, 3 top 100, 4 top 110 (0 top 25, 2 top 50)
          09-10, 5 top 100, 7 top 110 (1 top 25, 2 top 50)
          08-09, 4 top 100, 5 top 110 (0 top 25, 1 top 50)
          07-08, 5 top 100, 5 top 110 (0 top 25, 2 top 50)
          06-07, 5 top 100, 6 top 110 (2 top 25, 4 top 50)
          05-06, 6 top 100, 6 top 110 (3 top 25, 6 top 50)
          04-05, 5 top 100, 5 top 110 (1 top 25, 4 top 50)

That's 8 years that we've had 3+ top 100, 7 out of 8 with 4+, and 6 out of 8 with 5+...Better than you stated very consistent. We average 1 top 25, 3 top 50, and 5 top 100.
          Last edited by wufan; January 5, 2012, 10:01 AM.
          Livin the dream

Comment

What do Big 12 schools get out of it? I already noted that the other Big 12 schools seemingly have no problem scheduling valley teams right now and the only ones that never do are KU, KSU and Texas. The reason why you see valley schools pop up on their schedules from time to time is because the valley is a regional opponent with descent teams, why not schedule them? Either that or state legislatures mandate games... Just sayin'... Even when WSU wins, Wichita media is tough, WSU fans are tough.. Didn't WSU actually get booed at home a few years ago against EU and it caused marshall to flip after the game? Then on top of all this you have these critical fans from the other 2 schools laughing at the fact wsu WINS. I think we are lucky to have Marshall for as long as we have. The media circus, sometimes critical fans and always negative KU and KSU fans who always harp on WSU would of driven me crazy by now if i were the coach.

Comment

What legislature mandates games? I know some have threatened it, but don't know who actually mandates it.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

At least in this region of the country I believe Iowa and Nebraska's do...

Comment

I know for a fact that Iowa does not. And I don't think Nebraska does but I could be wrong about that one.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                    And of course, the same holds true for the Shockers as well concerning our own scheduling. Year-in-and-year-out we have to consistently start ranking in the top 50 and occasionally in the top 25 along with NCAA invitations as well.
                    Last 8 years; top 200 every year; 6 years in the top 101 and 5 in the top 50 (including the last three). Minus the NCAA invites and KU/KSU scheduled games, your dream is a reality. This team has been far better than people give credit.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I know for a fact that Iowa does not. And I don't think Nebraska does but I could be wrong about that one.
                      Yep...those are myths. There is no legislation that they must play, however it has been threatened in Iowa if they cancel the legislation. Illinois and Indiana usually play one of the in state schools every year as well. None-the-less; a rotating schedule of WSU vs KU and WSU vs KSU would be great for the state! Same goes for Missouri and Mo State.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Threadjack much???
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

NM.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            The MVC generally has 4-5 schools in the top 100....mostly back-loaded, but I think three times in the last 7 years that the MVC finished with 6 schools in the top 110.

Currently 6 schools top 100 (2 top 25, 3 top 50)
                            10-11, 3 top 100, 4 top 110 (0 top 25, 2 top 50)
                            09-10, 5 top 100, 7 top 110 (1 top 25, 2 top 50)
                            08-09, 4 top 100, 5 top 110 (0 top 25, 1 top 50)
                            07-08, 5 top 100, 5 top 110 (0 top 25, 2 top 50)
                            06-07, 5 top 100, 6 top 110 (2 top 25, 4 top 50)
                            05-06, 6 top 100, 6 top 110 (3 top 25, 6 top 50)
                            04-05, 5 top 100, 5 top 110 (1 top 25, 4 top 50)

That's 8 years that we've had 3+ top 100, 7 out of 8 with 4+, and 6 out of 8 with 5+...Better than you stated very consistent. We average 1 top 25, 3 top 50, and 5 top 100.
                            Thanks, Wufan, I stand corrected. So, I guess that we then need to do even better as we and our fellow conference mcmbers are still having scheduling problems, even though we have seen overall improvement this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                              Missouri State's small crowd for that game shouldn't bother WSU fans. We all know when the Shockers roll into that gym, it will be sold out and the atmosphere will be electric...Anyways, in wake of the sunflower showdown, and seeing all those blue and purple supporters on the eagle website laughing at the wsu vs eu score, would it NOT be a seemingly great idea for the Big 12 and the Valley to have a conference challenge every year? The valley has looked more impressive the past 3 years than the big 12.. Okay, maybe the past 2 years, but UNI beating KU and then WSU winning the NIT last year has certainly caught everyone's attention i think. Even more impressive, with all that going on KU, KSU and Texas still won't consciously schedule valley teams despite the insecurities from their regional rival conference the past couple years.
                              Wait a minute. Evansville just won at UNI by double digits, and those fags laugh at a WSU road victory there.

Seriously looking forward to the MVC-Big 12 NCAA matchup this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X