Alford Out at UCLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alford Out at UCLA

Three S16 appearances in 5 1/2 years not enough.

UCLA is loaded with 4 and 5-star talent - will be attractive. Top candidates listed by CBS sports:

1. Fred Hoiberg
    2. Eric Musselman (Nevada)
    3. Tony Bennett (Virginia)
    4. Mike Brey (ND)
    5. Chris Beard (Texas Tech)
    6. Kelvin Sampson (Houston)
    7. Jamie Dixon (TCU)
    8. Earl Watson (former UCLA player, former NBA coach)
    9. Mike White (Florida)
    10. Mike Hopkins

Comment

Marshall as a top 5 candidate per this report

Comment

Look at your source. I have listened to couple college basketball podcast today. Only time WSU/Marshall was mentioned was "how can a school like Wichita State have chartered flights and UCLA not". Nobody mentioned Marshall.

Hoiberg looks to be the target. Hoiberg agent is the Wasserman group which is big UCLA supporters. If they don't sign him until after the regular season, Hoiberg could be out recruting on the AAU circuit with no NCAA limitations.

Couple other names mentioned were Rick Pitino. They thought he would fit in real well with the target audience, but the problem is the potential NCAA investigations of Louisville would be hanging over him and probably to many hurdles. Another is Bobby Hurley.

One of the problem is UCLA has is it is not likely going to want to pony up the $$$ to get Mike Brey or even Gregg Marshall. When you consider the cost of living on the west coast and that coaches like Brey and Marshall are already making significantly more that what UCLA is willing to pay (2.6 million), they would have to increase what they are paying to draw those type of coaches.

Comment

There aren’t many P5 programs that would be a worse fit for Gregg than UCLA. The glitz and glamour of Tinsel Town is so not Gregg that it isn’t funny. UCLA attracts players like Lonzo Ball. Can you imagine Gregg putting up with parents like LaVar? I’m not sure if it would be hilarious or painfully awkward to watch Gregg tell LaVar to drink a nice tall glass of STFU Juice.
          78-65

Comment

Mid-year firings are fairly rare but it doesn't surprise me.

Interesting that Marshall is not on Matt Norldander's list of candidates: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-steve-alford/

GM makes the "others" list on Jeff Borzello's piece: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...3543/undefined

Also, I think what happened to Alford and UCLA is relevant to Memphis and Penny. How in the world does UCLA lose at home by 15 to Liberty with such great recruiting classes?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              Marshall doesn't need to go to UCLA, he just needs to "listen". If we hear reports that he is, the probability of our program snapping back quickly will lower.

T

...:cool:

Oh oh...

This would be a great year for Marshall to bounce. Very little in the cupboard at the moment.

At least I know our program is safe with the master strategist at the helm. Nothing to worry about at all...

T

Comment

Keep Jans on speed dial

Comment

Mods. Can we combine the 2 Alford threads. I don't care what Topic it's put under. You make that call.

Comment

2 years ago, Marshall woulda been at the top of the list. Not now.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                    Oh oh...

This would be a great year for Marshall to bounce. Very little in the cupboard at the moment.
                    There will probably be several prognastications about Marshall possibly being a target, but they will be more by lazy journalist who are not willing to do the work to develop sources. The NBC sports podcast below is probably the best source of where UCLA may go.

Marshall is not a risk of bouncing to UCLA because:

1. He is not going to a program that only wants to pay $2.6 million (then add in the cost of living)
                    2. He is not going to a program that does commerical instead of charter flights.
                    3. Marshall wouldn't fit in the politically correct environment on the west coast and UCLA
                    4. UCLA is not interested in Marshall (as at least first short list).

UCLA has fired head coach Steve Alford after four consecutive losses. Sources have informed Stadium of a short list of replacements.

When the head coach at the most storied program in college basketball gets fired, you devote an entire podcast to it. I was able to connect with Sam Vecenie from The Athletic as well as Jeff Goodman from Stadium to talk through everything that you need to know about the UCLA program, Alford's tenure and where the Bruins go from here.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      UCLA. Does. Commercial. Flights?

T

• SB Shock
                      SB Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you listen to the NBC sports podcast they are very critical of the non-commercial flights. The local sports writer said that UCLA gave the games leading rebounders the seats with legroom on the return flight home.

They fly direct everywhere,and doesn't travel very far at least in conference.

Comment

LA to Seattle is a 3 hour flight I think. The PAC 12 has travel partners also. UCAL and USC both fly to Seattle. One plays UW and one plays WSU and then they swap. I have no idea why they couldn't charter those flights.

Comment

Not sure why someone making 3.5m per year in the AAC would want to move to the Republic of California for anything less than 6m - $7m per year. Don’t see it happening with UCLA.

Comment

Not in the slightest bit concerning - for a combination of good and bad reasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X