• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good or Bad Step?

I think I like this.

FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Pair it with a three-year college commitment (ala college baseball), and I’m all for it.
    78-65

Comment

The N.B.A. promised that players would receive training in basketball as well as in “life skills” as part of the program. It did not disclose how many players would be invited into the program, but the G League said it would be “a very specific group of elite players.”
      I think it is a good step as long as they don't restrict it too much. Not sure what a good number would be 1 player per G League team would be 27 players.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Pair it with a three-year college commitment (ala college baseball), and I’m all for it.
        I wouldn’t be against this. However, I’m against requiring kids to go to school when they don’t want to. We don’t even recruit the Frosh who fit the description to leave as Freshmen.

Comment

It seems there would be two likely outcomes from this:

1) The schools who typically recruit the one-and-dones will just take the top end of what's left after the G League takes what they want.

2) It will make it more economical and practical to pay those players. This should drive down the amount that has to be paid to the top prospects.

Put those together and everything stays the same in NCAA ball, except the schools, shoe companies, and agents that pay players will save some money. And that will be the NCAA's "solution" to the corruption in recruiting college basketball players.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            It seems there would be two likely outcomes from this:

1) The schools who typically recruit the one-and-dones will just take the top end of what's left after the G League takes what they want.

2) It will make it more economical and practical to pay those players. This should drive down the amount that has to be paid to the top prospects.

Put those together and everything stays the same in NCAA ball, except the schools, shoe companies, and agents that pay players will save some money. And that will be the NCAA's "solution" to the corruption in recruiting college basketball players.
            Are shoe companies interested in players that aren’t CAN’T MISS NBA stars? Those would seem to be the G League players in your scenario. Just trying to be logical.
            Last edited by Shockm; October 24, 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              If buying players for the programs are what the shoe companies need to do to get sponsorship deals with the highest profile programs then yes they would probably sitll be interested in "competing" for that. What they want is their products on TV broadcasts as much as possible with the most nationally relevant programs that draw the highrest level of viewership.

The impact this policy will have on the cheating schools rankings and seedings will be interesting; I am hopeful the playing field will be leveled but recognize that cheaters will look for and develop new ways to continue to cheat, i.e. UNC's academic fraud program.

With hopefully a minimum of at least 27 of the top HS Recruits going to the G League each season, I am optimistic that the field will be leveled regards both rankings and tournament seedings.

Comment

Working...
            X