K-State's $230 million dollar plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-State's $230 million dollar plan

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...217983215.html .. Even though it's not really relevant till they have the cash it's still pretty aggressive for them. How does one dump $85 million on Bramlage I wonder, considering it's basically just a basement with basketball court.

Think KU and K-State are having a bit of a wanker measuring contest at the moment. Neither are even remotely close to either of their numbers, but it doesn’t stop them from grandiose announcements. A race for who’s got the biggest pie-in-the-sky.

The round numbers ($10M, $10M, $12M, etc) on many of those items suggest there’s very little due diligence that has been done. The more specific numbers like for the football practice facility and south stadium look like the projects they have actually put some time into and plan to actually do.

Comment

This was a little weird to me. I know that having a master plan is fine, but I have learned with these sorts of projects that you don't publicly announce them until you've raised half of the money (from your big donors during what is called a quiet phase). That way, the public sees momentum and can get excited about it. If you announce that you want spend $85 million on Bramlage without having raised a single dollar on it, your donors might deem it to be unrealistic.
      78-65

Comment

• bleed yellow
        bleed yellow commented
        Editing a comment
        Considering WSU put $25 million into the roundhouse renovation, it really does make me wonder what KSU could even do to spend $85 million on Bramlage. Lol.. I'm thinking they kind of want a new basketball stadium, but it's hard to justify given that Bramlage is only a 30 year old building and the fact that they just dumped a TON of money on Snyder Stadium. Bramlage is just a very average stadium that lacks things to brag about.
        Last edited by bleed yellow; September 11, 2018, 11:18 AM.

A ton of wealth has been created during this never-ending bull market. No better time then now to ask boosters to cash in some winnings and give it to the ol' alma mater before things inevitably turn sour.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        In addition, barring hitting the coaching lottery again, KState will return to their rightful place at the bottom of the sports totem pole once Snyder retires, and that's going to be sooner rather than later. Again, get it while you can.

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        K-State may be returning to the bottom of the league (with the obvious exception of KU) before Snyder's current 5-year contract is up. KSU isn't looking remotely close to the Snyder teams of years gone by.

They better get that $230 mill from the league before 2024 when the B12's contract with ESPN expires. If the B12 implodes once that gravy train ends, KSU will be really hard pressed to raise $230 mill playing in the MWC.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      A ton of wealth has been created during this never-ending bull market. No better time then now to ask boosters to cash in some winnings and give it to the ol' alma mater before things inevitably turn sour.

T

I've long wondered why so little has happened at 21st and Hillside in this regard. The Shocks are as big of a deal to Wichita, and to WSU supporters and alums, as they have probably ever been, but yet the WSU AD is not talking about any big picture ideas. Heck, we are taking years to fund-raise for a relatively modest athletic learning center that many schools we consider peers would not find to be that big of a deal.

Where's our facilities vision? Is there one even?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        We need strong leadership not a pencil pusher in the athletic department for those things to happen. You wanna see magic at 21st and Hillside, get a guy like The Bardo or Jim Schaus in the athletic director's office.

The real question is; how much higher can we go? We have a perennial top 20 national power basketball program; we are at the highest conference level attainable without football; we have the best possible coach in the entire universe for a million reasons; we have an incredible, incredible university president who's creating more change in 5 years on campus than has been done in 100.

Honest to God, I'm the biggest promoter of WSU ever and I've been calling us a sleeping giant when we barely played Butler County CC basketball, but friends, we've arrived.

The only thing that really saddens me is the current state of affairs in baseball. If we had proper leadership, Butler would have been out on his ass after last season and we'd have the hottest up-and-coming college coach in America at Wichita State. I mean, we finally have the baseball conference we've always dreamed of and we're going to dick around with a coach who has proven (to us and himself) that he doesn't have "the right stuff"???

I don't know if people realize this but the clock is ticking with regards to WSU and the current membership of the AAC. This B12 G.O.R. bulshit is going to blow up in 2025. We have exactly 7 years to win our national championship in basketball, fix baseball, and (in my dreamworld) bring back football otherwise we may be holding hands with the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU instead of Cincy, UConn, Memphis...

Okay, now CB is all fired up and needs to think happy thoughts.

Enjoy the ride!

PREPARE for the future!

Invest in the product!

Dream big!

T

• SHOCKvalue
        SHOCKvalue commented
        Editing a comment
        A dedicated smaller arena for VB (or possibly VB/WBB) should be something on the radar, and reasonably attainable with some time to raise the funds. K-State is planning a VB arena for $17M; Creighton built a nice place for VB and WBB for $19M. Koch at 1/4-1/3 full with masking tape on the BB floor for VB is a bad look compared to what Lamb has built. Hasn't VB grown enough to deserve at least a look into the idea?

Eck Stadium is starting to look really tired if you haven't been there lately. Lot's of sun-faded surfaces, with brighter color repair/overlay patch scattered about. It looks sad, and little like a homeless man that has lost his pride in appearance.

Koch is not looking bad by any means, but it has been almost 20 years now since the major remodel, so it could use some sprucing up here and there. The fact that we're going through this golden age of MBB and there's not even a peep at an expansion or a new, larger facility (no matter the length of the timeline) is odd and kind of disheartening.

There's just no vision, facilities-wise, at WSU, which combined with all the other awesome things happening at WSU (AAC membership, IC construction) is perplexing.
        Last edited by SHOCKvalue; September 11, 2018, 03:43 PM.

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        We need a little patience here. I agree that we may not have leadership with any kind of vision in the athletic department.

Right now the athletic department is working on getting the money they had to pay to join the AAC and getting familiar with the travel considerations and budget.

That shouldn't exclude looking ahead and making some plans, but the finances involved with the conference change are keeping them pretty busy.

Not sure why we are concerned about Koch and Eck. Aren't those being addressed as part of the Shock The World campaign?
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Not sure why we are concerned about Koch and Eck. Aren't those being addressed as part of the Shock The World campaign?
        Eck is getting a new clubhouse/locker rooms, and relocating the ticket office. Not sure if that will have any impact on the balance of the facility.

Koch is just rearranging stuff around in the concourse near the main hall and offices, essentially. The only difference the common fan might see is a new, larger home for the apparel shop. At least as I understand it. Most of the budget is going towards a totally separate building up the hill next to the SW corner of the football stadium, and other things behind walls and doors.

Comment

I wanna see a bunch of weird little skyboxes surrounding the entire upper dome. I bet you could stuff 750 fat cats up there and get 'em nice and drunk.

After said fat cats are drunk the AD's job will be to walk into each and every box throughout the game having sincere, first-name basis conversations and dropping hints about new projects that are on the horizon.

This is how you AD.

T

Comment

In the last 20 years WSU has:

- Hired young, up-and-coming basketball coach who reached Sweet 16
            - Remodeled basketball arena
            - Hired young volleyball coach who has grown the program to consistent top-10 in conference
            - Hired another up-and-coming basketball coach who subsequently reached the Final Four and won nat'l COY.
            - Continued to incrementally improve facilities and increase athletic expenditures to equal and surpass budgets of football-playing schools in MVC.
            - Hired visionary university president
            - Embarked on the Innovation Campus
            - Built a new student dorm, The Flats, and The Suites now under construction
            - Jumped to a higher-profile conference
            - University is seeing a modest up-tick in new students, while KU and KSU see slight declines. (From memory, last fall's numbers)
            - Increase in research and grant $$$
            - New School of Business building imminent
            - Minor sports are doing very well, women's basketball hopefully making gains. Baseball is disappointing, but still has the cache to turn it around, probably with a new coach.

That's a lot of accomplishment. and frankly, WSU as a whole has had to play catch-up after an awful, awful decade for everything except baseball. Facilities-wise WSU athletics is solid and can stay that way for another 5-10 years as the university begins to realize the returns on its campus expansion.

Without the big TV contract $$$ (ie. having football in a power conference and all the coattail revenue that comes from such exposure) that KU and KSU enjoy, we're probably not going to see an athletics improvement campaign over $100 million. But I have no doubt that WSU will be able to hold it's own when improvements are necessary.

Comment

Is the Bill Snyder era at K-State coming to a less than glorious close? I have to respect what Coach Snyder was able to do at K-State including the recovery from the Ron Prince decline. But how often has this man thrown his players under the bus in his career? He pretty much did that today when he said "I can't coach a team that can't gain 6 inches". Clearly he is frustrated and while the talent level at K-State is currently not very good it is talent that he recruited. I realize the last time he retired things did not go well. However, the possibility exists that if he stays on too long that might do more harm then good for K-State. In fact, I kind of wonder if that line hasn't already been crossed.

A few quotes from today's reports on the 35-6 loss to West Virginia:

The gap between Kansas State and the best teams in college football appears to be growing wider.
              Let’s be honest. K-State’s biggest problem had little to do with player execution or coaching strategy. It had more to do with talent.
              Snyder’s teams have been mostly immune to the effects of poor recruiting ratings in recent years. The Wildcats have played in eight straight bowl games without a recruiting class that finished near the top of the Big 12. But recruiting has taken a nosedive in recent years, and a string of poorly rated classes is starting to show on the field.
              There is a decent chance that when K-State hosts KU on November 10th it will be to determine which teams finishes the year with 3 wins. This might be K-State's bowl game this year.

Comment

• bleed yellow
                bleed yellow commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking if K-State loses to KU this year Snyder will retire at seasons end.. At his age, turning the program around for a 3rd time in a short time after losing to KU- one of the worst teams in all of college football and K-States biggest rival would seem unrealistic.

C0|dB|00ded
              #5.1
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              3 weeks ago
              I don't know if people realize this but the clock is ticking with regards to WSU and the current membership of the AAC. This B12 G.O.R. bulshit is going to blow up in 2025. We have exactly 7 years to win our national championship in basketball, fix baseball, and (in my dreamworld) bring back football otherwise we may be holding hands with the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU instead of Cincy, UConn, Memphis...

Agree that is the worst case scenario when the Big12 blows up. The best case scenario is when that happens we hook up with UConn and both head for the Big East.

Comment

K state Iowa state Baylor and TCU all join the aac and it splits into two divisions. So yeah we need to get football up and going.

Comment

Why would any conference want K State in 10 years? Their only claim to success was a good stretch of late 90s early 2000s football. That won't be impressive in 2030. And it's about to get real ugly. Snyder's losing it and going off (for him) on the media. The cake walk they enjoyed to the elite eight bought Bruce Weber a few more years. That's a program with no media market (literally no market) and no long term success in any sport and will be 25 years away from football relevancy and 60 years from it's last final four when the GOR expires.

Comment

Working...
                  X